My first attempt for a Windowblinds skin

Thursday, February 24, 2011 by benmanns | Discussion: WindowBlinds

Ok as i said im on holiday this week so i have some time working on something diffrent...
This is my first attempt to build a skin what i´ve done so far is making a quick paper sketch to gather some ideas on how it should look what i will show here is not final, i will change it completely maybee.
I started with the tutorial from Vampothika sinze i have never used Skin Studio: you can find the tutorial here :
Im still working on the Startmenu and i must admit i didnt think it would take that many layers to get close to this.
I have to change some values for the shadows since im not quite pleased with the current result.
Also i will add some release valves and maybee a bit of steam not to much also i will try to get a more flowing connection beetween the background and the starmenu tab itself it still looks like it just hangs infront of all.

Tips are always welcome aswell as critic.

I found some time today to make a basic StartMenu what i have made so far looks like this:

teddybearcholla
Reply #1 Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:59 PM

Very kool beginning!!!

Island Dog
Reply #2 Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:07 PM

You are off to a good start.  A bit of advice though.  Be wary of the beveling in Photoshop.

Hankers
Reply #3 Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:10 PM

Nice start.

k10w3
Reply #4 Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:36 PM

The graphic looks sweet!  I think you're going to experience some problems with content margins, getting everything to even out, once you slice it up and plug it into Skin Studio, but I'm sure you'll come up with something pleasing!

benmanns
Reply #5 Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:57 PM

How did you know  im currently trying and trying to get that places list in order but it just wont.No matter what value i insert under margins it wont change.IF i insert a value for the right like -9999 its comes close to matching but only close.I simply dont get it. First thing and im already stuck ohh well.

willistuder
Reply #6 Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:13 PM

You have quite an imagination. It's good to see someone new testing the waters of WindowBlinds skinning--good luck.

neone6
Reply #7 Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:06 PM

Interesting concept.

Uvah
Reply #8 Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:10 PM

Oh yes. Photoshop's beveling can throw everything off and not just in WB's. Keep an eye to the size and whether or not you want to use global lighting.

navigatsio
Reply #9 Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:49 PM

It is creative....just trying to picture it with all the menu items/text in place.

benmanns
Reply #10 Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:51 PM

Thanks Uvah, i will have to make changes anyway so im redoing this tomorrow and see if i can find a diffrent solution for the strech issue.
I didnt know that it would get streched that much.I realy would have liked to run with the opening to the back, sadly these textures get streched so much that it looks like someone had driven against it with a truck.

And as you said i will do changes to the beveling since its mixed all over the place and causes trouble as well, but im unsure about the global lighting
And thank you all for your comments

benmanns
Reply #11 Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:53 PM

navigatsio

Haha yeah i know thats also a problem, but i realy wanted it like this but i found out it wont work that way
But iam not giving up i will find a solution for every little problem and if it takes me till end of this year.

Uvah
Reply #12 Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:59 PM

Take your time Rolocolor. I wish I was as brave as you are to take on a WB. Those things scare me.

navigatsio
Reply #13 Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:04 PM

But iam not giving up i will find a solution for every little problem and if it takes me till end of this year.

Well you have the right attitude, Roloccolor. There's always a work around or fix for everything...you just have to be stubborn enough to figure 'em out. Good luck with it!

Reply #14 Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:06 PM

Looks promising. Keep at it!

navigatsio
Reply #15 Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:31 PM

Those things scare me.

Ain't nothing scares me, Uvah, except snakes...

DaveBax
Reply #16 Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:55 PM

navigatsio
Those things scare me.

Ain't nothing scares me, Uvah, except snakes...

Rick you haven't seen Uvah yet. He scares the pants off a drunken moneky.

Keep that wb going it will work out as you have a great outlook.

Uvah
Reply #17 Friday, February 25, 2011 5:22 AM

drunken moneky.

You know Zubish too? Wow.

benmanns
Reply #18 Friday, February 25, 2011 2:35 PM

Ok i remade my concept today made a view changes and im quite pleased so far BUT when i wanted to test it in skinstudio after i had cut it into pieces this happend :

The right part from the Startmenu is cut off, so i wanted to ask for help
Also i have some small transparency problems that only occurs on a milky too white background on black everything is fine.Any Tips how to fix that ?
Thanks in advance. I will go and try to play around with the margins to set things in place meanwhile.

k10w3
Reply #19 Friday, February 25, 2011 5:50 PM

That transparency part on the white background?  I think that might be in the "Hide Shadow on Start Menu" or the "Background Effect) in the extra section (try playing around with those, clicking them on and off).

That bottom part...are you sure you that the width of your canvas for the rest of the pieces in the start menu have the correct amount of transparent space on them?  If they do, check to make sure that width and height parts in the Extras Section are correct.

Also, just a little extra tip -- you might want to add the gradient on your start menu as a second layer.  You can do that by clicking the + sign on next to the drop down menu to add a layer on top of your base layer; just make sure that you add the gradient layer for all your sections on the start menu (top, left, bottom, right, all programs), because they have to equal the same amount.

benmanns
Reply #20 Friday, February 25, 2011 7:51 PM

WOW thanks that realy solved it
I must see if i can find the correct file again i just made the Startmenu (AGAIN) because i had drop shadows activated...in Photoshop and i thought that might be the problem.Note to myself at this point DONT merge everything at the end without doing a backup save.
With the setting to No semi transparency the problem seems to be gone.

I will try setting the Gradient for the startmenu tomorrow morning:
Now i need to know how i can add the missing part on the right bottom that is cut of.