Don't install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45

Thursday, August 2, 2018 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

I was perusing ghacks when I found this article.

Since so many of us use the app, I thought you should read Martin Brinkmann's advice.

Source:

Jafo
Reply #1 Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:44 AM

Oh well ....just another data mine.

Am already on 5.45.6611 ....

LightStar
Reply #2 Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:54 AM

Oh well ....just another data mine.

Am already on 5.45.6611 ....

Me too... this doesn't bother me at all.

Uvah
Reply #3 Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:40 AM

I updated yesterday, no problems.

LeeDee
Reply #4 Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:14 PM

no problems here

starkers
Reply #5 Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:26 PM

Well I'm not updating to it... too many issues for my liking.  Firstly, it is always running in the background chewing up resources.  Secondly, I don't want to have to jump through hoops to disable features I don't want running: Eg, Active Monitoring.

I just want CCleaner to run when I want it to, no bullshit running behind the scenes doing stuff I wouldn't like: eg, sending data to whomever and possibly being shared with somebody I wouldn't give the time of day to.  No, I have an earlier version with just about everything disabled/switched off.  When I need it I go to the shortcut in Fences and activate it myself.

I mean, seriously, think about how many companies/programs using analytics and your user data.... all using YOUR internet bandwidth to operate... and not necessarily in your interests.

Oh, and I took off my tinfoil hat to write this post so it was unaffected by conspiracy theories.

Fulgrymm
Reply #6 Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:43 PM

Definitely shall refrain from updating to this version.

JcRabbit
Reply #7 Friday, August 3, 2018 7:31 PM

Only goes to prove there is no such a thing as a 'free lunch'.

One thing I find amusing though, is that in the article they state:

"CCleaner was a program that worked fine out of the box for years but that is not really the case anymore. While the cleaning works as good as it did years ago, recent decisions to push the monitoring functionality, introduce advertising popups for pro upgrades, hack, and analytics/privacy controversy have painted the program and the company in a bad light."

and right below the end of the article, ironically enough:

"We need your help

Advertising revenue is falling fast across the Internet, and independently-run sites like Ghacks are hit hardest by it. The advertising model in its current form is coming to an end, and we have to find other ways to continue operating this site."

Yeah, guess what? There ARE no free lunches. Somebody or something always has to pay for it.

starkers
Reply #8 Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:14 AM

I'm just glad that I had all the crap turned off so CCleaner didn't update [or prompt to update] to this latest version.  I'll stick to the earlier version until I find something better.  Wise Cleaner is supposedly quite good and is minus all those undesirable extras, so I may look into that over the next day or so.

As for the free lunch, I buy my own so I know what goes into it.

Reply #9 Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:38 AM

Jorge...agreed.

Mark, glad I ignore pop ups.

c242
Reply #10 Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:02 PM

CCleaner was dead for me and deleted as soon as Avast took over. Using Glary Utilities now and never looked back.

neophil78
Reply #11 Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:26 PM

Just use the portable version of it, and all problems / troubles are out :

CCleaner Portable

Fuzzy Logic
Reply #12 Sunday, August 12, 2018 4:42 AM

I have the pro version - now uninstalled. What a way to destroy such a useful program

Uvah
Reply #13 Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:10 AM

Turned on my laptop this morning and as it booted up I got a pop up with CCleaner behind it saying "This product does not work in your present location." That never happened before. So I opened CCleaner and no such pop up came up. I'm not sure if I should keep it or find something else.

starkers
Reply #14 Sunday, August 12, 2018 9:00 AM

Did you try CCleaner to see if it worked?  Besides, I don't think CCleaner has any locational restrictions.  Mucic and movies may have licensing restrictions for some areas, but not CCleaner... unless it's a new thing, which would be a reason for me to uninstall it and try out Wise Cleaner. So Uvah, if you don't trust it anymore, try out Wise Cleaner, it also has a free version.

I've already been put off using the latest version of CCleaner because of it's data mining, etc, but if this locational thing is a ploy to make me update to it then I'm definitely ditching CCleaner altogether.

RedneckDude
Reply #15 Sunday, August 12, 2018 11:08 AM

CCleaner was dead for me and deleted as soon as Avast took over.

Huh? Do you mean to say that Avast owns CCleaner?

Uvah
Reply #16 Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:15 PM

RedneckDude

Quoting c242,

CCleaner was dead for me and deleted as soon as Avast took over.

Huh? Do you mean to say that Avast owns CCleaner?

Yup

Uvah
Reply #17 Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:24 PM

Giving wise cleaner a shot.

LightStar
Reply #18 Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:26 PM

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting c242,

CCleaner was dead for me and deleted as soon as Avast took over.

Huh? Do you mean to say that Avast owns CCleaner?

Yup

I guess they have owned them for over a year already...

Avast now owns CCleaner after acquiring Piriform

LightStar
Reply #19 Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:35 PM

Oops...

LightStar
Reply #20 Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:38 PM
Weird fact is though is that the latest version on Piriform's site is 5.44.