SOLVED: Alt-tab not working

Sunday, May 31, 2020 by gevansmd | Discussion: Personal Computing

Some months ago I noticed alt-tab was not always working properly.  It often only lets me select from a couple of the apps, as if it's unaware there are others running.  I assume something else is interfering with it working but an internet search has not revealed anything useful.

After a reboot it will work for some time before the bad behavior reappears.

Anyone seen and solved this issue?

Solution:  I reset the defaults in Nexus Ultimate and the problem disappeared.  I changed back only the few settings I wanted and it still works.

SchismNavigator
Reply #1 Monday, June 1, 2020 8:48 AM

Might be a hardware fault.

LightStar
Reply #2 Monday, June 1, 2020 9:29 AM

Have you tried running the sfc /scannow command in an administrative command prompt window yet gevansmd? Could be a system file problem.

gevansmd
Reply #3 Monday, June 1, 2020 8:16 PM

I did and scannow turned up nothing.  I think it m,ay be Nexus Ultimate because if I shut it down alt-tab works again and turn it back on and it fails.  Jorge says it does not capture this keystrokes.

gevansmd
Reply #4 Monday, June 1, 2020 8:17 PM

What kind of hardware issue could cause that and it goes away after a reboot?

LightStar
Reply #5 Monday, June 1, 2020 9:05 PM

Well, you could try another keyboard, but if that does not work I would have no idea then.

gevansmd
Reply #6 Tuesday, June 2, 2020 11:08 PM

LightStar

I did by necessity because the V key broke off my keyboard.

LightStar
Reply #7 Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:36 AM

Did the problem occur with the old keyboard that broke?

gevansmd
Reply #8 Wednesday, June 3, 2020 5:50 PM

LightStar

Did the problem occur with the old keyboard that broke?

Yes.  It's been going on for months.  I replaced the keybaord a few weeks agao.

LightStar
Reply #9 Wednesday, June 3, 2020 6:46 PM

OK, no idea here on this one then. Sorry.

alaknebs
Reply #10 Tuesday, June 16, 2020 8:58 AM

no idea what's wrong and not a solution, but if you are on win10 you can use win+tab (or click on that taskview icon on your taskbar) to display a list of all opened programs.. it's kinda similar to alt-tab, except it shows you what you have over various vitrual desktops and allows you to move things between them too. might work as a work around for you?

gevansmd
Reply #11 Sunday, June 21, 2020 7:16 PM

alaknebs

Win-tab is equally affected, showing the same shortened list of running apps as alt-tab.

alaknebs
Reply #12 Monday, June 22, 2020 12:50 AM

no idea then... you checked for virus and malware, right?