MS Defeated? Will The Empire Strike Back?

An end to ie and edge on W10

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

Ran across this little gem this morning...

Looks like Chrome took all the marbles...First Mozilla caved and Fire Fox's engine became Chrome...and then there was one, and now...

Link: https://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-windows-10

AzDude
Reply #1 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:55 AM

teddybearcholla
Reply #2 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:22 AM

Uvah
Reply #3 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:42 AM

[e digicons]Big ass smile)[/e]

Phoon
Reply #4 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:13 AM

I didn't see anything about IE being dropped.

I certainly hope not. There are still several business apps that need to use IE.

Cisco wireless controller management for one...

LightStar
Reply #5 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:29 AM

anotherside
Reply #6 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 4:15 PM

Firefox is still using Gecko, their in-house rendering engine since the beginning. The reason MS supposedly shifted to Blink (we don't know yet) is that they want to fill MS Store with PWAs (Progressive Web Apps) and the reference PWA platform is Blink/Chromium/Chrome. At least that's what I think.

Since Chromium is open source and the place where development happens MS could fork it at any time and apply their own tweaks, which they probably will do.

I think this is closely related to PWAs and if it was just about the browser it wouldn't have happened. Edge wasn't successful so it kind of makes sense to not spend a lot of money on it. So this is actually one of the few times that I think Microsoft is doing the right thing.

Nothing will happen to IE. It's a legacy browser at this point and will be kept the way it is for legacy compatibility.

Uvah
Reply #7 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:23 PM

Yeah but can they make it work? I seriously doubt it!

1337yazman
Reply #8 Wednesday, December 5, 2018 10:21 AM

A big shame, in my opinion. I'm not particularly a fan of Chromium-based browsers. I mainly use Firefox, but I really like Edge a lot and it's my 'second' when I need a browser that isn't Firefox to use. I'd probably use it exclusively if it had support for NoScript.

ForesterGC
Reply #9 Wednesday, December 5, 2018 12:00 PM

NoScript is a must. Everyone wants a piece of your bandwidth.

Daiwa
Reply #10 Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:48 PM

Brave's muon-based browser had been my fave, but they've forked to a chromium-based browser, too.  At least their flawless page rendering has been maintained in the chromium version.  PDF handling works correctly on all my work-related sites with the chromium version, unlike the muon version, & the few Chrome extensions I liked are usable now.  So at the moment I've moved over to Brave's chromium version as my default.  Everyone's gonna be selling ice cream, just different flavors.

starkers
Reply #11 Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:46 AM

I never used Edge - looked at it once, didn't like the look and never went back for a second.  I'm not too fussed on Chromium based browsers, either, so it's lkely I won't bother with MS' version of one.

I started using Firefox in my early computing days, and though I've briefly tried others over the years I've always gone back to Firefox.

I dunno, MS used to be okay at making OSes and Office, but these days it can't make shit.

Well it does, just not very good shit.

Uvah
Reply #12 Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:27 AM

I've had it with Chromium based browsers. I used Opera for a bit until it started acting like Chrome, taking its time to open, going black before fully rendering and only on one particular site. Tried Vivaldi and that was a total bust. It took longer than Chrome or even Opera to open, minutes sometimes and it too is Chromium based. Now I've gone back to an old friend, Firefox. Its stable, opens quick and clean and doesn't screw things up. Edge won't work worth a shit. Opens up very fast and closes just as fast. Won't stay open long enough to do anything. On the other end IE actually works and its even skinned. So that's it. No more playing with that other garbage. I got things the way I want them and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reply #13 Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:45 PM

Uvah, Chrome, etc. Shouldn't have lags like that. You must have had tons of extensions on it.

Uvah
Reply #15 Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:00 PM

No no. I allow only one extension, Adblocker. I have no use for anything else. Even in FF I unloaded most of what came with it. I did the same with Opera. Adblocker only. And even with that turtle called Vivaldi. That one IMO is a joke. One bad experience with them was enough!

Reply #16 Friday, December 7, 2018 2:25 AM
Uvah
Reply #17 Friday, December 7, 2018 12:29 PM

Its all about cornering the market. With Chrome being open source they can pretty much do any damn thing they want with it.