Anybody for Patch Tuesday?

Or your pet, whichever one comes first lol

Thursday, July 12, 2018 by Uvah | Discussion: Personal Computing

It came and went and my laptop has yet to blow up so...I guess its ok except, the article says not to use IE or Edge. Good thing I don't use either one. Lol

AzDude
Reply #1 Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:32 PM

I had No problems updates went well , all is good IE and Edge working OK but I use Chrome

DaveRI
Reply #2 Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:57 PM

Purring right along here (as far as I know).  [They could uninstall IE and Edge and I might notice it after a couple of years.   ]

ALMonty
Reply #3 Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:19 PM

I use IE and Edge. I don't see anything unusual here.

Island Dog
Reply #4 Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:38 PM

Updated and working fine here.

DaveBax
Reply #5 Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:30 PM

No problem for me. (at least to this point. lol)

alaknebs
Reply #6 Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:20 PM

no issues really.. though i noticed an ad for microsoft authenticator popping up in the notification area.... pfft.

Jafo
Reply #7 Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:59 PM

Maybe this patch will fix my 'Edge' which was already borked....

.... not holding my breath....

admiralWillyWilber
Reply #8 Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:38 PM

I shut off auto updates a couple of years ago. My computer keeps asking me to restart my computer. I think I updated a few weeks ago. Haven't really seen problems from windows 10. Galactic civilizations and steam seem to give me more problems than anything. Probably;m because, I'm not willing to pay 100$ and walk away. Still mad at steam over Skyrim. Oh I take bloatware when you buy a new computer as personality.

starkers
Reply #9 Friday, July 13, 2018 5:57 AM

alaknebs

That's why I refuse to use the default start menu.... the notification area and its associated crap.

To be perfectly honest, if it weren't for start10; Windowblinds; Iconpackager and CursorFX making it more bearable, I'd kick Win 10 to the kerb and install Win 8.1 on all my machines.  It's only because Win 8.1 has a limited lifespan that I don't revert back to it on my two Win 10 machines anyway, though Win 8.1 will go on the other two until such time as it is no longer supported.

Uvah
Reply #10 Friday, July 13, 2018 7:59 AM

Well, seems I was wrong. I got the update this morning and something weird happened. There's red text on the screenshot that reads some settings are managed by my organization. I have an organization? When that happen?

Jafo
Reply #11 Friday, July 13, 2018 9:16 AM

I have an organization? When that happen?

You're always the last to know...

starkers
Reply #12 Friday, July 13, 2018 10:42 AM

Quoting Uvah,

I have an organization? When that happen?

You're always the last to know...

Yeah, me too!

Said to myself the other day that we need a new fridge.... then one of the other me's in here chimes in and says: "That'd be right.  As usual, I'm always the last to know."

Uvah
Reply #13 Friday, July 13, 2018 11:05 AM

At least now I know. Lol

alaknebs
Reply #14 Friday, July 13, 2018 3:14 PM

that particular bit.. has something to do with the active hours thing.. don't worry about it. at least (i hope) you don't have win10 telling you that you can't scan a file with win defender because your admin has restricted something. (admin? as in me? ) - note that quick scans and full scans are fine.. but i can't manually scan selected files via context menu. (not that i do it really... aside from as a third engine after my normal a/v as well as malwarebytes

Iben
Reply #15 Friday, July 13, 2018 9:42 PM

I would think this is what it means:

Your computer is part of a network at your place of business

and a higher up will be managing some of the settings

that you don't have authority to manage.

OR

Your computer is part of the Microsoft network and

they will be managing some settings that you don't have authority to manage.

It isn't installed until you restart, did you restart?

Daiwa
Reply #16 Friday, July 13, 2018 9:51 PM

If you've modified any of the Windows Update 'features' with Group Policy Editor (available with Pro version only, I think), it will give you that message; at least it has here.  It assumes GPE is managed by your IT department, I guess, even when it's just you.

starkers
Reply #17 Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:12 AM

Another reason the 'Organization' thing might come up is if the 'Metered Connection' box is ticked in WU settings.  I say this because I also noticed it when I recently checked which updates to download, etc, and I don't recall it being there prior to ticking 'Metered Connections' to help prevent unnecessary updates and bloat.

As for the most recent updates, no issues thus far... touch wood.

Uvah
Reply #18 Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:30 AM

So I am my own organization, number of employees...9. Me and my felines who think they're monkeys.

Daiwa
Reply #19 Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:34 PM

I believe starkers is correct - choosing that option alone may be sufficient to get that prompt.

DaveRI
Reply #20 Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:27 PM

If I know cats, the cats would be The Organization and you would be ... the butler.