Windows XP suddenly running much slower? This may be why...

Tuesday, April 22, 2003 by Xymantix | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Here's a link that covers the story about how XP Patch 811493 can slow some XP systems down to a crawl. I know I've been fretting because my 2-week old system suddenly went from a speed demon to a sloth. It took it forever to do anything. After uninstalling the patch, my machine is back to its wonderful speedy self.

I'm not recommending that anybody uninstall the patch, just passing along information so that you can make an informed decision...
yrag2
Reply #1 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:02 PM
thanks for the heads up Xymantix, I was upgrading my machine and at the same time I got MS Barton driver and 811943. When I was all done the new machine ran slower then the old!!!!! After a week I was about ready to throw the whole thing out. I just uninstalled it and my comp took off I strongly recommend anyone running XP and is not a server do an uninstall until MS comes up with a patch.

WasupBoy
Reply #2 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:19 PM
Thanks for the info Xymantix I was going to dl it right after i check the Wincustomize website

Oh and by the way.. the link to the article site seems to be gone or something.. i've tried and was unable to view that website

WasupBoy
yrag2
Reply #3 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:23 PM

elvee
Reply #4 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:23 PM

elvee
Reply #5 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:23 PM
oops i did it wrong

elvee
Reply #6 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:30 PM
hmmm...I got the patch and my system is running fine

dan.wright
Reply #7 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:36 PM
I've got 2 XP machines, one runs just fine and the other started acting up. I uninstalled on that one and everything is back to normal, but my laptop is still just fine. Who knows, it's MS.

late

Hus
Reply #8 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 8:45 PM
Yea, I got the patch too and I haven't noticed my PC slowing down. Atleast if it does slow down, I'll know how to get rid of it, this prolly just saved me a 20 minute headache!
c242
Reply #9 Tuesday, April 22, 2003 9:48 PM
Yeah, I left that patch out because I read about it. Nice to read You again, Xymantix.

Jess McGuay
Reply #10 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 1:03 AM
seems the slowdown is related to AV programs...if no AV then most likely won't see the slowdown.
Tech Cat
Reply #11 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 1:27 AM
Every version of Windows I have used to some degree is a piece of crap I have had to reinstall over and over again. Time for the Linux revolution because I am sick and tired of reinstalling my Windows.

c242
Reply #12 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:03 AM
No re-installation of XP yet since day 1 and all systems go.

Tech Cat
Reply #13 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:08 AM
Usually the people that say Windows work just fine are the people that only use their computer for less advanced uses such as playing solitaire. People who do more technical things with their computer know first hand the short comings of Windows.

BoXXi
Reply #14 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:13 AM
jj79_1999: I hope you do put Linux on your box..... maybe then you will stop coming here and go hang out on a linux site with the other 3 linux users. Man but you talk some serious drivel. I suggest you and Kona start your own Linux/Mac site and leave us alone.

I am watching you
Tech Cat
Reply #15 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:16 AM
Linux is on my hard drive, on my other partition.

bakerstreet
Reply #16 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:17 AM
jj and klona!!! Next to appear will be the one that starts with 'L'

I saw this in a movie once. The next one will be the child personaility... oh, wait...
BoXXi
Reply #17 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:18 AM
Obviously the partition isn't high enough......you keep climbing over it and coming back here.
kona0197
Reply #18 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:25 AM
Wizops say funny things sometimes. Hey Boxxi don't yell at me, just cuz I use OS X!!!!
Tech Cat
Reply #19 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:29 AM
BoXXi, do you even know what a partition is?

bakerstreet
Reply #20 Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:31 AM
BWAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! there ya go, taunt the wookie.

This is the first time this has felt like the old skinz...