starting to work on WOODOKU for WB

Sunday, December 9, 2012 by TomRichter | Discussion: Skinning

This is just a very early result on the start menu I made today. Even if it might be or will be slightly changed this showing

the direction of the whole skin. I will update any visible and meaningful progress. So lets discuss this my beloved wc folks

And do not spare me, please  [e digicons]:')[/e]

werewolf
Reply #1 Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:14 PM

Looks nice! very tight and clean. I like the little touches around the edge. Keep going. This should be a very fine blind.

DPCloud
Reply #2 Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:08 PM

Awesome!

WebGizmos
Reply #3 Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:11 PM

Looks excellent!

karmat
Reply #4 Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:22 PM

I like the sleek wood look of it, instead of big and bulky, good work so far, Tom!

Reply #5 Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:34 PM

Beautiful start!

willistuder
Reply #6 Sunday, December 9, 2012 2:38 PM

It looks very elegant.

Uvah
Reply #7 Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:03 PM

Looks like polished wood. Keep going!

benmanns
Reply #8 Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:25 PM

hey buddy this looks very nice i know im not in the position to ask for this but could you lower the shadow on the bottom just 5% its a bit dark just to compare it with current progress

Xiandi
Reply #9 Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:47 PM

Looks good so far. Love the name.

werewolf
Reply #10 Sunday, December 9, 2012 11:31 PM

Hope I can explain this, and this is ONLY my personal opinion... That piece looks as though, if it were a real physical piece, it would be maybe 1/8" thick, maybe less. But the round shading at the very bottom makes it look as though it's thicker than it really is. hah. does that make any sense at all? Perhaps you could make the shading look as though it is a little less 'round' at the bottom. The bottom edge doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it.

I hope that made sense.

David

Reply #11 Sunday, December 9, 2012 11:40 PM

Shadow looks fine to me, Tom. All it means is that the bottom has a curved bevel...

Asound
Reply #12 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:01 AM

I normally dont like wooden skins that much, but this one looks really great!

TomRichter
Reply #13 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:43 AM

Hi folks. I am hearing you closely. I guess Rolo has made a good point here. Here is the other progress still not definite. I have had a big struggle with the start button but this one I like. Do you? Thanks all for stopping by.

vStyler
Reply #14 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:44 AM

werewolf
The bottom edge doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it.

Lighting is.. finesse, finesse, and a bit more finesse...............

The main problem I see is the lighting on each side of the start menu looks quite blown out and unnatural.

Less is more mate...imo.. of course.

Edit.. those lil taskbutton adornments looks eerily, recently.. reminiscent Just sayin'

Originality is a significant cornerstone of any designer. I would suggest trying to think more, design more..outside the scope of past designs and more from what comes to you naturally and originally.

I realize there are only so many pixels in a WB but.. you can do a LOT... that hasnt been done before.. at least.. recently.. with those pixels.

Look at Neone's, Kitty's work as examples.

TomRichter
Reply #15 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:45 AM

Thanks Doc

TomRichter
Reply #16 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:47 AM

vStyler

Quoting werewolf, reply 10The bottom edge doesn't seem to fit with the rest of it.

Lighting is.. finesse, finesse, and a bit more finesse...............

Right you are, John

TomRichter
Reply #17 Monday, December 10, 2012 1:48 AM

Roloccolor

I was following your thought, Rolo. Scroll down for another update, please.

TomRichter
Reply #18 Monday, December 10, 2012 2:38 AM

vStyler

Lighting is.. finesse, finesse, and a bit more finesse...............

Less is more mate...imo.. of course.

Look at Neone's, Kitty's work as examples.

I understand, John. You know very well the taskbuttons are and always have been my burning problem. It seems to me that in 40 px height I do not feel comfortable to do what I wanna do. On the other hand I hate having e.g. 50 px taskbar. What I wanna say is that less space to skin I have more I am concerned. As well in this skin I have a biggy deal with the colours. I am not sure if windows background should be of nearly the same colour as the light wood in the startmenu. Or just of grey shade. Really not sure. Have you ever experienced something like this? As for the starmenu lighning on easch side - meaning the inner on the light wood pattern or the outter on the dark one? I will rather discuss this via a PM if you are okay with that. Thanks John

benmanns
Reply #19 Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:20 AM

TomRichter

I was following your thought, Rolo. Scroll down for another update, please.

Ps to your last comment about the colors take a look at your windows avatar or user picture its all there also i would say that the whole range of the wallpaper in that first preview/screenshot works very well with the rest of the skin.Will keep an eye on this thread.

Reply #20 Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:58 AM

I'd get rid of that wood background in the start menu, or fit it to fill it 100%... Might add some detail and shading to the leaf, which I like as a start button, but that's just my opinion.