Anyone Running The New UEFI Bios?

I like it!

Thursday, December 6, 2012 by RedneckDude | Discussion: Personal Computing

I have an MSI MOBO which sports the new UEFI BIOS. I wondered how many others have it now?

I never see anyone talking about it.

You can access the BIOS from within Windows. Even from a smart phone.

You can surf the net from within the BIOS even!

Any experience with UEFI BIOS, let's hear it.

Jafo
Reply #1 Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:52 PM

Does it have the error code....

"Keyboard not found.  Press F1 to continue."?

If not....I don't want it......I prefer a BIOS with a sense of humour....

boshimi336
Reply #2 Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:57 PM

It is nice. Haven't done much with it but it is very ... different and friendly at the same time. It's not as simple as the old style BIOS as Jafo pointed out but for me it's been easy to navigate and fairly intuitive.

RedneckDude
Reply #3 Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:12 PM

I like being able to use the mouse. And access from Windows is cool. I have no need to access my BIOS from a smartphone.

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:16 PM

yrag
Reply #5 Friday, December 7, 2012 12:43 AM

RedneckDude
I like being able to use the mouse

At long last..... progress!!

RedneckDude
Reply #6 Friday, December 7, 2012 12:51 AM

LOL....I love you too, dipshit.

boshimi336
Reply #7 Friday, December 7, 2012 1:00 AM

Kamamura_CZ
Reply #8 Friday, December 7, 2012 4:53 AM

There is a vicious bug in Windows 7 I have discovered the hard way.

If you have a disk in the old MBR format (UEFI prefers GPT) containing an extended partition with logical partitions, Windows 7 will crash on boot while booting in the UEFI mode. It does not matter that the disk may not be even accessed, just being connected will cause the crash.

I had to move all my data to a backup disk, change the empty disks to GPT, and move the data back to make it work. Microsoft offers a solution, but it comes as a patch to the installation CD - basically, you have to make and burn your own patched ISO.

In general, UEFI is not a good technology. The main drive behind it is the attempt to lock your computer, because uefi supports booting to so called "trusted" platforms only - basically, it containts a set of public keys (provided by the manufacturer), and will boot only to an OS that was signed by one of those keys when "Secure Boot" is enabled. The original specification stated that there must be an off switch for Secure Boot on desktops, but that it must ALWAYS be ON on mobile platforms, so that the manufacturers could dictate what OS is eligible and what is not.

It's basically another creepy-crawly move to snatch away another of your remaining rights - the right to boot whatever you want on a hardware device you have purchased.

RedneckDude
Reply #9 Friday, December 7, 2012 11:13 AM

My SSD is configured in MBR format and I have 2 1TB platters.  No problems with UEFI and MBR.  Windows7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Reply #10 Friday, December 7, 2012 11:57 AM

Quoting RedneckDude, reply 3I like being able to use the mouse

At long last..... progress!!

RedneckDude

Reduced 73%Original 614 x 601

OK... you've got the mouse... now try this tool (instead of the brush)   :

petrossa
Reply #11 Saturday, December 8, 2012 11:50 AM

Savyg
Reply #12 Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:24 AM

UEFI is not BIOS.  It's a replacement for BIOS.

I will not buy another BIOS machine in my life.  I had UEFI on my DX58SO but I had to replace that horribly designed pile of...motherboard.

Savyg
Reply #13 Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:28 AM

petrossa

Yes, lets not secure our computers at all because someone might be inconvenienced.

Stay away from it if you're a Linux type?  Sure, if you can't use the already working methods.  Anyone else?  Use it immediately.

neone6
Reply #14 Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:44 AM

A NEW laptop with pre-installed windows 8 got the disc formatted GPT from scratch.

-Put a win 7 boot cd in it and it won´t even read it.

If you would want Windows 7 on that computer you would have to format the whole disc to MBR, taking away Win 8 and Everything else that came with it.

Read it & weep

Wizard1956
Reply #15 Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:29 AM

neone6

Or just buy another Harddrive (SSD?) and keep the original with all it's content intact. This may void the warranty however.

petrossa
Reply #16 Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:47 PM

Quoting petrossa, reply 12Well, as long as you can disable it on your mobo it can do no harm. But if you want to for example double boot linux and windows you are in trouble. Best stay away from it, it gives MS way too much control over YOUR computer.

I am not running a bank, i am running a personal computer with some music and stuff. If i want to secure my computer i prefer to do so in a way that is convenient to me, not to OS vendors to lock me out.

Anyhow, why should i have to 99$ to unlock my own computer? Whose idiotic idea is that. Let me guess, not the public.

jackswift85
Reply #17 Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:51 PM

There was a UEFI Bios on the AsRock mobo rig I built for my sister. It was intuitive and seemed like a good thing, but I was peeved because it was misrepresenting the CPU temperatures (thought it was running at 60c idle when in reality it was running at 28c idle... had a small heart attack for a while there). Other than that it's been a great experience. I still prefer an old-school BIOS though, but that's probably because I'm more comfortable and familiar with it.

Savyg
Reply #18 Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:48 PM

petrossa

You mean the free options like disabling Secure Boot aren't good enough for you?  Fantastic, I'll write that down next time I'm in the mood to do something stupid.

kona0197
Reply #19 Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:43 PM

Kamamura_CZ

So in other words you can't use Linux on those machines. Windows or nothing right?

Jafo
Reply #20 Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:20 PM

jackswift85

Cores here all show 60c ....quasi-idle.....doing 'stuff' ....but it's Melbourne in summer...so outside it's 39c and counting...