So, what's up with Stardock and Object Desktop?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 by gmknobl | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I was a longtime user of Object Desktop.  For many, many years I subscribed and enjoyed getting new skins to apply to my computer.  I still use Xav73's skins to this day.  The lack of update to some programs was an issue at times but things generally got done.  Then Impulse came out and we were told it would be wonderful and great and a new version of OD would come out and it would be world changing.

Not so much.

Impulse did keep things updated but I never saw much change in what was available that I wanted to use.  Windowblinds still worked pretty well but the Mycolors stuff that attempted to take over for suites never worked right on Windows 7 for me and then several things started breaking that I'd been using for some time.  I'd say it was my system except this happened on all windows 7 installs I tried it on.  I found I had to do more fiddling to get things skinned properly.  Personally, I still use suites and prefer them.  It's too bad some of Xav73's objects he created for the desktop won't work under 7.

Impulse always seemed like just a way to push users to get games and advertise to us and get us to buy buy buy when nothing was really changing to make for a new GUI experience.  Desktop X can kinda sorta make a complete change to your experience but it's not any different from what I can see from it's XP incarnation.  Screensavers are sorta animated now but nothing earth shattering.

So, all this is to say, I didn't see much changing after I changed to Win 7 and installed OD.  Really, it's nice and all but it's not moving forward.  Things still take a lot of work if you want to skin your computer like the Enterprise (but why would you want to?) for example.  And if I have to do lots of work to get everything just right it's not worth the $35 to re-up every year.  Therefore, last year I let my OD subscription lapse for the first time in a long while.  Today, I went back to see if anything new had been done by Stardock only to find the latest releases of new on the website are still TWO YEARS OLD!  If the website is posting news that's that old, then I'm willing to bet the products haven't moved forward at all since I let my sub lapse.  So, it would be a total waste of my money to re-subscribe.

What I want to hear from all you guys out there is this: give me a reason, give me several reasons why I should buy OD again.  Why should I buy Stardock's stuff now?  I don't want Impulse pushed games; that's not what I'm here for.  I see Impulse is, mercifully, going away after the corporate <scam> buyout that I found rather revolting anyway.  What I want is new skins that do new things to my GUI.  What I want is the EASY ability to do wholesale changes to my GUI, not so it looks like OS/X but looks completely different, unique and fun to use and look at.  I want that new GUI to make the use of my computer easier.  That's what I want.  Is Stardock and OD going to move forward and provide this?

Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

Jafo
Reply #1 Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:12 AM

One post....7 comments...in 8 years and it's "want want want".

"revolting" is relative.

Oh, correction....

want want want want want.   [pays to be accurate]....

vStyler
Reply #2 Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:28 AM

There are plenty of suites that have been assembled by Philly for my skins.., and other great, modern skins.. whats the issue exactly, all seems rather modern to me, at least as modern as Win 7 will allow.

Also, stylewise... 'Modern' has trended more minimally, there are still some good folks making 'fun' skins as well tho.

Perhaps what you need is to gripe at Microsoft.. Stardock doesn't make OS's. As far as Stardock goes.. your always free to exercise your.. free market.. will.

My mom always said.. I want... never gets.

I want a bag of hundreds.

Reply #3 Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:35 AM

Today, I went back to see if anything new had been done by Stardock only to find the latest releases of new on the website are still TWO YEARS OLD! If the website is posting news that's that old, then I'm willing to bet the products haven't moved forward at all since I let my sub lapse.

I still put my faith in Stardock. I think you should as well. I do not know any details (even if I did I couldn't say), but my gut tells me you will not be disappointed if you just have a bit more patience.

You're a current customer, gmknobl. You can and should continue to update whatever software you own.

And know that my faith in SD continues. Brad is a 'skinner' and a 'gamer'. I haven't ever heard him say different.

Ironic, but as I was typing, this came out. Just sayin':

Island Dog
Reply #4 Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:36 PM

Stardock currently does this now and you're not really clear on what you are looking for.  You mention really old skins, well we can't go back and support all items for legacy operating systems.

c242
Reply #5 Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:01 PM

It always makes me shudder how long term customers that gave good money to Stardock over the years are treated here (so much for 'want, want, want'). Especially by You Jafo. With all given respect, but sometimes I really wonder. Ant the beg for patience maybe right if we where talking about some hobbyist freeware here, but we are not. It is a given fact that Object Desktop loses value regularly.

Some of You even didn't get the intention of the thread-starter at all and have fallen to automatic defense mode that is activated quick and often here.

c242
Reply #6 Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:05 PM

Sorry, but this one alone is epic. The website is Stardocks official image to the outside. So it isn't cosnsidered important to have it up to date ? Since when is Stardock so amateurish ?

vStyler
Reply #7 Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:28 PM

I think Carl, perhaps, even a customer coming off as 'I want want want' is not the best way to go about things, I've seen many many posts where folks have asked in a customary, respectful manner, the same types of questions, and gotten very polite responses and in some cases helped above and beyond what I've seen from other Co's.

Also, Yes, the site may be a reflection of a company but really, the site has been brilliant for me recently.. for the most part, and im sure that altho the 'version' may be a couple of years old, there have been tons of improvements since then, not reflected in the version date.

I imagine that most 'major websites' go at least 2-3 years, or more before a complete renovation, minus some cosmetics perhaps.

Your a good guy, and your being empathetic from a customer standpoint, and that's admirable, I'm just not sure in this case, the OP was justified in how he handled.. the OP.

Only one skinners 2c... but in my book, if I am treated in a negative manner, It will be summarily and similarly returned.

Few people I know enjoy anything being demanded of them.

Hankers
Reply #8 Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:46 PM

Since when is Stardock so amateurish ?

How about giving it a rest, Carl.

You've made your point Ad infinitum and I'm sure Stardock is well aware of your feelings.

I seriously doubt all your gripes will hasten the development or updates of any Stardock products.

Perhaps you could voice your feelings directly to Brad. He's pretty easy to contact.

Reply #9 Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:16 PM

Quoting DrJBHL, reply 3Site updates and all that aren't necessarily reflective of the reality. Especially when people are multi tasked.

c242 -

Island Dog
but in reality when you work with limited resources on a multitude of projects, building a new notification/download system and properly testing it isn't something you do in just a couple of months.

Again, the minor site issues here have absolutely nothing to do with the development of an app. Two different things completely.

He said it better than I.

Now add to that-

vStyler

You're an idealist and only want the best for us all, Carl. I do too, only I can tolerate taking it one imperfect step at a time.

It's up to you as well - be patient or not.

I think that when people are doing many tasks and running for deadlines and trying to keep their families in bread and butter, there can be oversights, errors and frankly, mistakes made.

I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water, and I know you don't either. So what say we wait a bit and be generous with each other... eh?

Island Dog
Reply #10 Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:42 PM

Please point me in the direction of the page that has news that is two years old.  I'd like to address more of the post, if the OP ever returns.

vStyler
Reply #11 Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:47 PM

pays to be accurate

particularly for .. Snipers, Carnival knife throwers, and Interface skinning (dont forget your X3200 zoom folks)

gmknobl
Reply #12 Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:35 PM

Geesh!  I'm an offending person (OP)?  Maybe I misinterpreted that.  I didn't think I was disrespectful of anyone.

For the record, most of what my admittedly rambling post is referring to is my disappointment that the product has not seemed to me to move forward, in fact, with impulse, it went to a more ad oriented model which, when I pay money, I don't want, so that was going backwards.  But that was last year.  If it has gotten better (and yes, Impulse is going away) then educated me, respectfully.

And yes, Just Another F'in Observer, when I pay money, I expect to want so I did exercise my free market role and did not renew.  Everyone should expect the same.

So, I'll check out the post referred to by JBHL snoopy.  Jus' sayin'.  And I'll check out the product for the next few weeks to see if things are getting better.  I'll not pay though until I see what I interpret as a real improvement.  That said, once again, educate me to the improvements I can see - not just under the "skin" so to speak.

And for what it's worth, Stardock people I've talked to on the phone have ALWAYS, ALWAYS been VERY helpful and easy, pleasant people to work with.  Their customer service is second to none!  Thank you for many years of great service.  Here's hoping the product is different from what I currently have and remember and has gone beyond that.

Well, off to sign my kids up to gymnastic classes.  Cheers.

Island Dog
Reply #13 Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:42 PM

gmknobl:  OP mean original poster.

Wizard1956
Reply #14 Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:03 PM

What I want is the EASY ability to do wholesale changes to my GUI

Suites are the way to go for that purpose and there are many new ones to choose from. (Thanks, Philly) This would much easier if we had a working version of Theme Manager.

I'd like to think that ODNT2012 will breath new life into TM, DX and Icon Packager and the steady improvements we see with WindowBlinds will continue.

Time will tell.

JcRabbit
Reply #15 Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:11 PM

I never jump into threads like these for obvious reasons, but there is something I would like to point out: in my opinion, long time users like gmknobl and c242 should be cherished, not driven away. When they point the finger and are vocal about being displeased with the current state of affairs, they are only stating what a lot of other users and customers think but don't have the will to say out loud.

These users, on the other hand, truly care. They have remained loyal customers for years, and they care enough to spend time writing a lengthy post and risk being shot down for speaking their mind (as I am doing right now).

It is a fact that Stardock development in Windows customization has been slow in these past couple of years, especially when compared to the first years. Focus has been more on the game development side of the company than on what made Stardock successful since the OS/2 days, and users feel that. They miss Brad's presence, for instance, which was a constant force in these forums (and apparently everywhere else, damn! ) in the days of old.

Speaking as a developer, I fully understand why things are slower. I know resources are limited. I also know how there is much more going on inside a company than users realize.

I also don't like it much when a user pokes my eye with his finger (and it has happened to me plenty of times too, even today!) - but these users do it because they love our products and they want to see us succeed and to continue being successful, not because they take pleasure in shooting us down. Although they can sometimes be a pain in the proverbial bottom , they do and say these things because they care - they would not be here otherwise.

As such, even though the first reaction is to 'push back' (nobody likes being attacked after all), I think the reply should never-the-less be tempered with understanding and patience.

Personally I prefer a thousand times those friends who speak their mind and tell me straight up when I'm wrong than those who act like I can do no wrong (even when they secretly think otherwise).

Bebi Bulma
Reply #16 Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:19 PM

Well said JC.

Hankers
Reply #17 Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:41 PM

Not disagreeing one bit with what you said Jorge but what I see as an issue is the groundhog day repeating of the same line over and over Ad infinitum.

Things will get done when they get done and not before they are ready.  These public displays of venting will not hasten the development or updates of any Stardock products.

No one is trying to drive anyone away.

k10w3
Reply #18 Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:52 PM

Hankers

What will?  What can we, as a community do, to hasten the development of a replacement for Impulse (at the very least)?

DaveRI
Reply #19 Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:03 PM

Not a ridiculous request.  Anybody want to take that one?

JcRabbit
Reply #20 Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:12 PM

Hankers

Hehe, yes, I know first hand how it can be a pain, and that's why I also mentioned 'patience'.

Hankers

I understand that too, but they do give you a feel for what is going on. Users want to know that they are being heard and understood (e.g.; instead of 'hey, stop whining!' they want to hear something along the lines of 'yes, we hear you, but please understand that we're doing the best we possibly can at the moment'). Some sort of explanation also helps - and lots of patience, because if nothing (apparently) changes after a while, you will be hearing the same complains over and over.

But, then again, complaining is a good sign. It's a sign they haven't given up on us yet.