Answers about the Moderation Process

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 by Island Dog | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

We have been receiving some questions about moderation from both new and established users.  I wanted to take a few moments to answer some of the common questions, and give you a chance to ask questions that I will answer in a later post.

Why was my skin approved later than others, even though I submitted before them?

Skins are not moderated in order of their submission.  Once a skin is uploaded it is placed in a moderation gallery to be looked at by the moderators.  Some skins take longer for a variety of reasons such as waiting to receive more opinions on the skin, or to verify a permission, etc.  We try to get skins through as fast as possible, but we have a limited staff, and although they do phenomenal work, only so much can be done at a time.

Where is my wallpaper, it was approved but not in the gallery?

It is more than likely in your personal gallery.  WinCustomize is a moderated gallery and not all submissions are placed into the public gallery.  Please see the upload guidelines for more information.

Why is the rating lower now than when it was approved?

Moderators put through an initial rating, but once it is in the public galleries any user can then rate skins.

What can I do to up the chances of my wallpaper making it into the public gallery?

There is not a single solution I can recommend, but some tips can help.  First, focus on quality not quantity.  Uploading wallpapers just to get more downloads will actually increase your chances of not being made public.  Be unique, take your time, solicit feedback from peers, and just enjoy what you are doing.

If you have any questions you would like answered about moderation, please leave them in the comments and I will make another post soon answering as much as I can.

Philly0381
Reply #1 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:49 AM

Reply #2 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:45 PM

This post should be pinned.

Snowman
Reply #3 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:53 PM

Innovate, dont imitate.

Quality over quantity.

Hankers
Reply #4 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:57 PM

This post should be pinned.

Done.

Snowman
Reply #5 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:41 PM

This post should be pinned.

Also displayed on the upload page, right above a button saying "Print three copies and returned in signed form, before allowed to upload"

RedneckDude
Reply #6 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:49 PM

Snowman

Quoting DrJBHL,
reply 2
This post should be pinned.

Snowy, I just spit soda all over my monitor. I'll send you the cleaning bill....hilaroius!!

navigatsio
Reply #7 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:40 PM

If you have any questions you would like answered about moderation

Why all the drama lately over moderation?!?!?! Has it changed THAT drastically over the past ten or so years?!?!?!

Snowman
Reply #8 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:46 PM

RedneckDude

Mission accomplished.

navigatsio

No. It's basically unchanged since 'forever', but new users tend to not understand the process as well as old users.

But a reminder once in a while never hurt anyone.

In the heat of the battle some users tend to "forget" certain things, specially on the matter of ratings.....

Lantec
Reply #9 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:41 PM

When it comes to your wallpapers, logons, bootscreens, consider this....if it's not good enough to stay on YOUR monitor for a least a couple days then it's probably not going to make it into the public library.

Reply #10 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:46 PM

RedneckDude
Quoting Snowman, reply 5

Quoting DrJBHL,
reply 2
This post should be pinned.

I made him remove the part about thumb tacking it to the forehead.

Jafo
Reply #11 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:12 PM

I made him remove the part about thumb tacking it to the forehead.

I have 2 staple guns.....

Snowman
Reply #12 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:04 PM

I have 2 staple guns.....

I'd hold'em....

HG_Eliminator
Reply #13 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:02 PM

I have 2 staple guns.....

I'll super glue the eye lids open.

Yes quality and ORIGINALITY, are huge pluses for walls.

RedneckDude
Reply #14 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:28 PM

Snowman
Reply #15 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:02 PM

HG_Eliminator
Reply #16 Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:03 PM

hehe

Snowman
Reply #17 Monday, February 6, 2012 5:40 PM

Uvah
Reply #18 Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:09 AM

Bumpquake!     RUN!!!!                                               <------------------------------------------------------------- oops ... wrong way --------->

Stramp
Reply #19 Monday, October 1, 2012 2:33 PM

So If others rate your skin or wall higher Does that men it will be placed in the gallery??? Not wanting to start a free for all here or put anyone else down BUT I disaprove of the ratings I sometimes get when uploading. I see other stuff that by no means shoulda got what rating they got. I agree yes Quality over Quanity BUT If a piece falls below a  OBIVIOUSLY BIAS OPINION who can we get to reconsider a work or what can be done about it!? There is never an explaination as to WHY it didn't make it! A review and suggestions would help! Or someone here that can be approached for a SECOND opinion. You won't let just any doctor operate on you! You get a second opinion. How about an APPEAL process so the individual has some recoarse as to why and what can be done. This might help solve some of the discouragement and feeling that there is no help in certain situations. We are supposed to encourage guide and teach. That makes for a better community and a stronger site resulting in MORE QUALITY works and less frivolous artwork. EGERELY AWAITING SOLUTION!

WebGizmos
Reply #20 Monday, October 1, 2012 2:40 PM

When your working on something you feel passionate about try doing what some others have...post a WIP (work in progress) and ask for peoples opinions or suggestions. But then be prepared for all kinds of feedback good and bad. You may feel what your doing deserves a Pulitzer prize but others may not.