Is this useful? or just a cute toy.

BumpTop: Software toy or useful desktop replacement?

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 by narbytrout | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I am about to give this a try... but I do not possess a touch screen.  The post I read says the program will work with just a mouse... guess I'll find out.

My predisposition is that this is most likely not a practical program to use for work, but it may be fun to play with.

ZubaZ
Reply #1 Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:08 PM

I played with it for a day.  Was interesting . . but worthless.

I couldn't get to anything better than with what I currently use (OD and Fences).

mommaTee
Reply #2 Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:22 PM

Looks like it'd be fun to play with for a little while, but I, personally, wouldn't keep it around.

narbytrout
Reply #3 Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:35 PM

O.K............... I played with it for fifteen minutes, and yeah, it's pretty cool.

Cant make up my mind if it's practical or not yet.  It's nice that it does not interfere or "take over" your desktop.  Stardock programs run fine with it, so far.

It's likely that I will not use this program for everyday computer use, but I am going to keep it around for a while.

Answer to my own question.... right now, It's just a cute toy.

IROKONESS
Reply #4 Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:40 PM

Looks cool but too busy.  For me it would be a toy.

narbytrout
Reply #5 Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:47 PM

Just to experiment with it, I think that I am going to turn this into a music/media center.  Something with the appearance of a recording studio with posters all over the place.  My thoughts are that I might be able to get this thing to play a song our group of songs, simply by dragging a ("poster" or song) over the media player of choice.  Then the media player automatically startup and play chosen song(s).

Maybe a turntable icon for Winamp (audio files) and a projector icon for WMP (video files).

starkers
Reply #6 Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:22 PM

It looks interesting and I'll give it a spin to see what all the fuss is about. I particularly like the idea of being able to 'fling' things and having them stick to the intended target... and have it post items to your You-Tube account.

Let's just hope that messiah1 doesn't get a hold of it, then... cos we all know what he 'flings'.

However, I read in the C-net article that Apple has filed a patent on some very similar technologies (as they do... being the inventors of ALL things cool), so one has to wonder if it is destined for the courts and will BumpDesk have a future in Windows?

mommaTee