A few Trojans took a bite out of my computer.

Viruses aren't cool.

Monday, June 30, 2008 by mommaTee | Discussion: Community

I'm not quite sure how I acquired them, but I had some nasty Trojans on my computer that forced me to wipe my hard drive earlier this evening.  I'm just now getting things back in working order so if you don't hear from me much this week, don't panic.  I'll just be trying to get my compy back into a usable state.

Anyone have any ideas for a good (and preferably free) spyware protector or antivirus client?  I really like Ad-Aware, but I'm curious to know if there's something out there that might be better.

Thanks everyone!
Bebi Bulma
Reply #1 Monday, June 30, 2008 12:52 AM
Spybot search & destroy, AVG
Philly0381
Reply #2 Monday, June 30, 2008 1:00 AM
mommaTee, I agree with Bebi, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG are two good programs.

I also have Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender.

Some folks may say over kill, but that's okay. They are free.
superman
Reply #3 Monday, June 30, 2008 1:44 AM
Nod32 or avast! for anti virus......
And if you had to format then create a backup for future..
mommaTee
Reply #4 Monday, June 30, 2008 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Bebi Bulma - Spybot's up and running

Philly - Nah, that's not overkill. That's just maximum security

heman - I had avast! and I liked it for the most part. I'll probably re-download it today. Oh, I definitely created a backup. I don't think I lost any files; it's just taking some time getting things back in order.
Roshak
Reply #5 Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:45 PM
I would Recommend Avast as well. Its continously updated, well-maintained, doesn't intefere with your stuff and easy to use.

Plus its got that clicking sound from Sim City.
CarGuy1
Reply #6 Tuesday, July 1, 2008 6:05 PM
mommaTee...it's more like a few trojans took a "byte" out of your computer.

Glad you back up and runnin'.
Leo the Lion
Reply #7 Tuesday, July 1, 2008 9:26 PM
I would get a respected Security Suite or AV product like one of ESET's two offerings - either Internet Secutity or NOD AV..........plus Adaware and Spybot
mommaTee
Reply #8 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:41 PM
mommaTee...it's more like a few trojans took a "byte" out of your computer.  Glad you back up and runnin'.

Thanks for the input/advice everyone!
WebGizmos
Reply #9 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:19 PM
I would also highly recommend Acronis True Image Home. Its not free but worth every penny. Once you have your pc back to normal make a backup...it so much easier to restore your pc then when you have a problem like this.
Snowman
Reply #10 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:39 PM

I only use Avast and Windows Defender to keep my system clean.
Crap or not, they are doing the job to perfection.

Philly0381
Reply #11 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:48 PM
Some good suggestions here, all worthy of taking a look at.

Find what works on your system, be it free or paid and keep it current.

I'm surprised that all the replies didn't hit one key element. Have you figured out yet how the Trogans made it onto you computer? That one piece of information may help you choose what security program you download.

Oh, other factors, stay away from sites you don't know about.

Bushman
Reply #12 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:48 PM
I use ZoneAlarms Internet Security for the Anti-Virus along with it's Anti-Spam, I also use Ad Aware, along with ParetoLogic Anti-Spam.
Snowman
Reply #13 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:36 PM
Oh, other factors, stay away from sites you don't know about

Eggsaktlee.
Good software can't protect against stupidity
Chasbo
Reply #14 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:02 PM
Good software can't protect against stupidity

Amen Amen Amen.

My computer got fried by a power surge, I think. Only explanation that makes sense. Took it in to the guys I trust in my hood. Good people. They put in a new HD, new processor and power supply. I was able to keep the RAM sticks in the box. My guys reloaded XP and they got this old computer running great. Actually a better computer than I had. 85% of the data was backed up on an external HD. Not perfect but not bad. Always have a backup. Rule #1. So far so good. One of the first things I did, and I am ashamed, is to look for, how shall I put it?, a number, a bit of data that would help me regain something that I had lost. The net result? 49 trojans and a virus that took me 3 days to get rid of! Holy shit how stupid can you be!?! I'm 56 years old and I tell my kids to be safe and do the right thing and here I am being a total shit head! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

All is well now and I hope I learned a lesson.

Safe surfing to you all.
DorkCoffeez
Reply #15 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:18 PM
If you don't want any sort of viruses, trojans or anything wrong with your computer at all then shut it down and use it to hold up books. There is no avoiding it. Only being your computers guardian and custodian will actually protect much. Frankly I reformat every 6 months and keep my OS on a little 20gig drive I have five replacements for.

On the other hand when I had a hacker hit my mail server years ago and loaded a LOT of junk on it for transfer I set up the server to ping his dial up twenty times a second till he crashed out. The only lesson there is there is no reason to play fair.
Leo the Lion
Reply #16 Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:47 PM

Naughty Seabass........but I love it........What do they say 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'
mommaTee
Reply #17 Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:52 PM
Wow...more comments

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I'll definitely look into them (free or not).

Oh, other factors, stay away from sites you don't know aboutEggsaktlee.Good software can't protect against stupidity

I definitely tend to stay away from sites I don't know about. My husband gave me a crash course a few years ago on what sites are legit and what sites only look legit.

Have you figured out yet how the Trogans made it onto you computer?

Well, I think they were packed in with something I downloaded, which, suffice it to say, I learned my lesson.

windoe
Reply #18 Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:21 PM
I use avast 4.8 as antivirus and both Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG as antispyware.
satisfied for the moment.
AtlanticCanadianScot
Reply #19 Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:43 PM
I only use Avast and Windows Defender to keep my system clean.
Crap or not, they are doing the job to perfection.

tell it Snow + Windoe . .. .ditto - Avast works better, is just as powerful as any paid security suite I purchased in the past - hello Kaspersky ;amazing the boys at Avast release this beautifully engineered security app as freeware
HaggardBlaze
Reply #20 Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:01 AM

Hey, well. I use Avira Anti Virus, I love it.  It takes very little RAM and the free version includes mail and web guard.  The only problem is that it tends to get a few false positives.