New WB and SKS betas on OD (Impulse & SDC)

Saturday, June 21, 2008 by Neil Banfield | Discussion: Skinning

I just thought I would let everyone know about the new betas and mention some of the new features.

You can now create animated please wait screens - see please wait section under Edit Explorer/IE shell parts.  You need to create animations in NWA format which can be done from the Tools->Animation compression menu item.  This only accepts images stacked vertically so you will need to create your animation as a vertical frame sequence first.

The NWA files can also be used for startmenu animation though old style TGA files will also continue to work but NWA files are much smaller.

Another new feature to SKS is the layers tab on most controls.  This allows you to use multiple layers for a given section.  These layers have their own tiling and margin settings and can be used to achieve effects which were very hard or simply not possible before.  You cannot use layers on window frames yet.  Layers do not require the user to have the WB beta as they will also work on WB 6.02 and higher.

We have a document about layers here : https://www.stardock.com/products/skinstudio/SKSLayers.pdf

ZubaZ
Reply #1 Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:30 AM
I can't wait to see what folks come up with!!
zakai1369
Reply #2 Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:38 AM
You can now create animated please wait screens

I can't wait to see what folks come up with!!

eieio
Reply #3 Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:42 AM
Neil, you are probably the person who can answer this question.

There have been a few people report that the latest beta of SKS6 uninstalls SKS5.

Is this the case?

Can we still run SKS5 and the latest SKS6 on the same machine?
Philly0381
Reply #4 Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:43 AM
I agree with Zubaz, can't wait to see what the skinners will come up with to use this new feature.
snake108
Reply #5 Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:59 AM
Again this latest download does not work for me. Just like the last build, it does not let me change the blinds, and before anyone suggests i try this that and the other, i have done everything that has been thrown at me. I will stay with version 6.0 build 49 x 86 vista edition.
Philly0381
Reply #6 Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:23 AM
snake108 in all those things that you tried did you manage to email support@stardock.com?

I would make some suggestions but then you probably have, as you have pointed out tried everything.

Hmmmm, how sure are you that you have tried everything? Run through the list of what you have done.
snake108
Reply #7 Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:57 AM
Thanks Philly0381 but i got so frustrated last time when i tried all that was suggested, i will just keep trying every new update until i get one that works. thanks for your comments.
Philly0381
Reply #8 Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:11 PM
snake108 we have all been at one time or another. What has support said about you problem?
snake108
Reply #9 Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:36 PM
Not put a ticket in to support, but got a lot of suggestions and help from high ranking officials. Like i said in comment 7, i will be patient and wait for a compatable update. thanks.
ZubaZ
Reply #10 Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:53 PM
but got a lot of suggestions and help from high ranking officials.
ZubaZ mentally reviews all the ranks from Spaceballs
ZubaZ
Reply #11 Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:54 PM
I'd email support anyway so they have a record and it doesn't get lost
snake108
Reply #12 Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:26 PM
Will do Zubaz....
neophil78
Reply #13 Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:11 PM

Is this the case?

Can we still run SKS5 and the latest SKS6 on the same machine?

I just installed the latest SKS6 beta (with SDC) and still get SKS5 installed (no kind of message telling me SKS5 have to be uninstalled) on XP SP3
eieio
Reply #14 Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:10 PM

Thanks, neophil

Is that version 6.09a.[b].026?

Anyone tried the Impulse version of 6.10a[b].032?
neophil78
Reply #15 Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:38 PM
Is that version 6.09a.[b].026?

nope it's noticed as 6.10a[b].032 as well in SDC
eieio
Reply #16 Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:25 PM
nope it's noticed as 6.10a[b].032 as well in SDC

That's odd ... my SDC shows version 6.09a.[b].026 dated 5-22-08
neophil78
Reply #17 Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:35 PM
That's odd ... my SDC shows version 6.09a.[b].026 dated 5-22-08

Mine is dated 6/20/08

Try changing from server US2 to US1 in Internet properties (i got it on US1 server)
eieio
Reply #18 Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:59 PM

That was it, neophil!

Thanks!
NightTrainthedark
Reply #19 Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:46 AM
I was feeling risky this morning so I went to download the SKS6 update and it gave me a message that a previous version needed to be removed.

Can I get confirmation that it removes SKS5 or 6? Both?

EDIT... I decided to leap. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!! It uninstalled SKS5.

shoulda went to church first.
NightTrainthedark
Reply #20 Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:14 AM
I made my animation using the compression tool. Saved the .nwa file. SKS imports it but it doesn't replace the file. After setting the skin to use the .nwa file, it reverts back to standard XP background instead of the please wait screen.

it's just a test image.. 5 frames. Stacked vertically, set for 5 frames, it seems correct to me.

Any help Neil?