Weekly Poll: Skinning Groups

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 by Zoomba | Discussion: WinCustomize News

This week's poll is about a potential feature that's being debated internally for the next major update to WinCustomize.  Since we're gearing up for the GUI Champs, and a major feature of the competition has always been forming skinning teams, we wanted to know if something like that would be a good addition to WinCustomize proper.

Should WinCustomize add a "Group" feature to allow skinners to affiliate themselves with one another, and to work together and post skins under a team label?

Vote in the poll.  And share how you'd like such a system to work in the comments below.

Wizard1956
Reply #1 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:04 AM
While the quality and completeness may improve,personal circumstances could possibly delay the whole team. I still voted yes.Go Teams!
ZubaZ
Reply #2 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:06 AM
As a "Sponsor/Project manager" of two community projects I think that most of the participants would have liked the option.  I've seen folks work around it by creating a new account but that felt incomplete.  Great idea!
Lantec
Reply #3 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:00 PM
my suggestions......
1.) Have WC supply storage space for shared "team" graphics to be posted with team access via FTP
2.) Have team logo below avatar like Monkey-lizard wizop thing and Stardock Support thing.
3.) Require WC Membership to belong to a team.
4.) Set Maximum team size to promote proliferation.
5.) No Religious or Political teams.

My concerns would be how to avoid this becoming one of those elitist issues we've been accused of in the past.

Some other items to ponder......
Register Team Logos
Team Tee-Shirts
Require all members to get matching tattoos
PoSmedley
Reply #4 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:40 PM
Require all members to get matching tattoos
We get to pick where we want it, right? I think it's all a good idea. A lot of folks have been coming out with some great collaborative efforts. This would be a good way to recognize them.
2of3
Reply #5 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:44 PM
Wizard1956
Reply #6 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:56 PM
Require all members to get matching tattoos
Or at least earrings.

Philly0381
Reply #7 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:12 PM

But aren't skinners elitist.

I'm a non skinner but I voted yes. I volunteer to help build nice little fenced in areas for you to play in.

Will any of the teams have any need for mud to roll around in?

Just joking.
2of3
Reply #8 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:17 PM
Will any of the teams have any need for mud to roll around in?

I prefer jello wrestling
Lantec
Reply #9 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:21 PM
I'm a non skinner but I voted yes.

I can see teams needing "support" type personnel (example Zubaz) to handle items like coordination, promotion etc.
ZubaZ
Reply #10 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:50 PM
Thanks Lantec!
HAPTORK
Reply #11 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:21 PM
I voted yes. I agree with all the points made by Lantec.
GH33DA
Reply #12 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:13 PM
Groups are a great idea.

However, if the site is going to give groups special privileges (unique avatars, free storage space, ...) then the teams should be responsible to help promote the community. Like required "community service" hours. Whatever the WC community needs (beta testing, wiki articles, ...) the groups should be one of the first places Stardock seeks for help.

I should have phrased that differently, but, I think it's a good idea. Ya know that whole "with great power comes...blah blah blah" deal.
horizon
Reply #13 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:49 PM
i'm unsure of how my opinion will sway, this seems aimed for organization and usefulness but i feel like it's more likely to be a cause for confusion and end up being superfluous. it's not as if people cannot, and do not work together already as things are now, i just don't see the real benefit outside of being used for gui olympics, and teams are already pretty well managed in that regard.

mostly i feel like there are more important issues to worry about than this.
Wizard1956
Reply #14 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:58 PM
the teams should be responsible to help promote the community.

If this means we may finally get new suites in the gallery,I'd call that promoting! Those beg for group involvement,due to all the elements.
Like required "community service

More like "house arrest"
zakai1369
Reply #15 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:17 PM
I would think it is a good idea as an option for people but not as a requirement.
theAVMAN
Reply #16 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:52 PM
new account but that felt incomplete. Great idea![/quote] Having been involved in a couple and 1 or 2 now I Agree whole heartedly!!!
The__Goo
Reply #17 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:00 PM
I could see tghis being an issue... I say go for it, See what happens and adjust the rules from there on. I think Lantec has the right idea. Especially on the team size issue.
The__Goo
Reply #18 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:04 PM
where is the edit button, i can't correct my typos
The__Goo
Reply #19 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:07 PM
Oh I would suggest a requirement on what the actual finished product is... I would hate to see 5 team members all working on a Windowblind and that's it.. though i am sure they would see the redundancy in that. Though as my ex would always say "hey, you never know".
and how come there was an edit button after this post and not my others?
Bebi Bulma
Reply #20 Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:39 PM
and how come there was an edit button after this post and not my others?

Bugs.