How to Rip Off Logons

It Never Ends I Guess...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 by boss0190 | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I found a rip of one of my logons at Deviant Art today, and was given this link WWW Link by the poster.

He didn't really understand what he had done wrong, and I guess I can see why from looking at the site.

I don't speak Polish, or whatever language that is, but it's a pretty detailed explaination of how to change the background, the name of the logon, the creator, etc. and how to save and post it as your own.

Sad, just sad I suppose...kids just don't grow up with any morals anymore.

vStyler
Reply #1 Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:59 PM
kids just don't grow up with any morals anymore.

Some of em' for sure
NightTrainthedark
Reply #2 Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:07 PM

ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #3 Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:12 PM
And the beat goes on Boss - but there is a way to beat the odds at this happening to you!
If you would like to learn more then contact me...

SGT
o0SHUUMI0o
Reply #4 Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:46 PM
the problem i see is that logons are so easy to create, why would any moron want to rip another one off.... all you need is an image and viola....and if you can't create one in photoshop or some other program like that, you can take a picture with your digital camera, or use someone else wallpaper or image and give them credit for their work and note you thought it would make a nice logon.

and not only do kids not grow up with any morals these days, they take the shortest cheapest route to anything they want....what happened to hard work and the rewards that go with it?
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #5 Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:52 PM
Rip AND go on to explain how...very ballsy...and low-life.
Jafo
Reply #6 Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:17 AM
Good thing there's instructions....
Rippers are pathologically thick as a brick and need all the help they can get.

Unfortunately it's up to each and all of us to do what we can to try and retain ownership of our works.
Getting rid of this site/instructions would be a good step forward, I think...
zagorskid
Reply #7 Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:12 AM
I'm an author of this tutorial. It's really sad - you are blaming me though you don't understand what I wrote.

No. It's only an explanation of how to change the background, translate text into Polish and export it to *.logonxp format - without changing an author etc.

Look at this:
However background was changed, an author is still this same - boss019.

boss0190 - you should contact (culturally ;]) with that person from Deviant Art and explain this situation.

And please - don't send to me messages like this:
From: [identity details removed - Admin]

Message:
Hey you Polish fuckhead - You should not be ripping off other peoples work and showing other people how to do it. You probably don\'t understand English anyway, so you can suck my cock too.

You should first explain what's really going on ;].

In the introduction to this tutorial I wrote - "you can change the background for your own usage, eg. to the photo of your puppy or girlfriend". It isn't my fault that people are redistributing this logon as theirs own work.
NightTrainthedark
Reply #8 Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:20 AM
Zagor raised a moron.

so, I make a logon.... someone changes the background but leaves my name as the Author.. The background says, Kill the president.

knock knock

who's there?

The Secret Service
messiah1
Reply #9 Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:40 AM

Is this entirely the kids fault? There are people that are supposed to be instilling morals in kids...they're called PARENTS. If your child is growing up without morals, you need to take a long hard look at your morals.

I feel for you boss. That was some email though.
ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #10 Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:07 AM
Zagorskid - if you want you can file a complaint with abuse@worldnet.att.net and see what happens.
That email is posted from a server maintained in the central region of Texas here. It would seem the poster may have used a proxyserver to do so though. But it would be good to see what if any they find for that mail.

That and it would be good also that any tuts for working with logons be wriiten in some better fashion also. The information at hand you have provided is very short and sweet. But that is for those that do not use the newest forms of logons which can not be changed in anyway shape or form. That or they stop working completely!

Better luck next time!

SGT
buzzh58
Reply #11 Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:20 AM
I really dont see what Zagorskid has done wrong. He simply wrote a tutorial on how to change a logon background for personal use. He has never advocated uploading others work as their own. He is not to blame for what others do with that information.

His tutorials are no different to some of the tutorials here at Wincustomize Wiki, they also show how to change backgrounds etc of other peoples skins, as long as people realize that doing this is for personal use only, then there is no problem. The writer of a tutorial cannot be blamed for what others do with the given information.

Boss you really should consider a career in the Diplomatic Corp, who knows, one day you may even be the U.S Ambassador to Poland.
bleedinglionz
Reply #12 Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:45 AM
I believe that the tutorial simply was a means to enhance peoples abilities to make logons for personal uses. Most of us are good with graphics, but many are not. This i feel was his way to help.

People who cheat cannot be stopped, only thwarted. Why not put a signature on your graphics, that might just help reduce this theft.

And anyways, to all the people who got hurt by this, people if you can recognise your work, be proud that people felt your work was good enough to be ripped. Of all the logons, yours were the ones that attracted them the most.

Take heart friends, they can steal your work, they can't make one better than you do.

Jafo
Reply #13 Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:56 AM

No, it does NOT work like that.
Think about the next time your house is burgled....wow...ain't you privileged....the thief chose YOUR place over all those others.

mschleisner
Reply #14 Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:36 AM
Did you really send him that ? With that language? Excuse me? Please tell me you didn't say it like that? I can understand your complaint but with the use of the language I would say we have a real issue with the way we ask someone not to take something without creating an angry person who would be more willing to take your stuff. I don't like that wording very much here either. What type of message does that send to those who have had their parents pay for the programs for their kids and find something like this in the Forum. Come On Please have some respect for those who wouldn't think to post something like this.
bobbyhundreds
Reply #15 Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:08 AM
You probably don\'t understand English anyway

Why should he,he's Polish.As far as I'm aware English isn't compulsory there yet.
Hey you Polish f***head

To use someones nationality as an insult against them is disgraceful,especially on a forum made up of so many nationalities.
Jafo
Reply #16 Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:14 AM

It wasn't on the forum...but apparently in an email....an entirely different kettle of fish...with its own issues....

bobbyhundreds
Reply #17 Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:17 AM

Still showed the mail on here like a trophy.

zagorskid
Reply #18 Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:18 AM

It is ;]. English is the first foreign language at school in Poland. Second one you can choose by yourself. But i suppose English in Poland isn't important in this situation?
bobbyhundreds
Reply #19 Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:33 AM
But Polish is your native language right?What I meant is that no one should be slammed if they only speak or understand their native language.It is their right.
boss0190
Reply #20 Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:37 PM
First off, I did not send an email. The only person I contacted was the person at DA that posted a logon using the tutorial. I asked him to remove, he said he didn't know it was my logon that was used from there, and he kindly removed it.

He left me a link to the site, and since I don't speak Polish, It just looked like a site on how to rip logons.

zagorskid explained earlier in this thread that it's a tutorial for personal use and I accept that at face value and apologize.

But I did not send him any email at all.