Which is better Intel or AMD (Overall)

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 by Bash2cool | Discussion: Personal Computing

I have a computer that i bought since 2002. it's a pentium 4 (1.6ghz) 512 MB and a 80GB hard drive. it still works fine but if i customize my copmuter with windowblind skins, log-ons, or icons, it will slow down very quickly. that's why if you go to my page and look at my destop, you won't see anything customzable there. so i am looking for a computer.

I see a lot of good computers with AMD prosessors at a low price but i also see Intel prosessor computers but with a more expensive price. why is that the case? Is it that Intel is better than AMD? In resent news, i always hear about how AMD prossesors are good.

Which is better...Intel or AMD?
BX
Reply #1 Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:41 PM
Technically, feature and price wise AMD is far better than Intel.
Corky_O
Reply #2 Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:01 PM
They are both good.

We can thank AMD for providing the competition to Intel, thus keeping the prices lower and the advancements more frequent than would be otherwise.

Whichever flavor tickles your fancy should do the trick.
Reppiks
Reply #3 Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:36 PM
Like already stated, they are both very good, and they seem to take turns in advancements. Just watch the spec's on each. You can find a lower price for a lesser model of either processor and find you've not gotten the performance you expected.
Dr Guy
Reply #4 Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:40 AM
Yesterday, AMD.  Today Intel (the Core 2 Duo).  But like the others say, hard to go wrong with one of the latest processors of either vendor.
Robbie_Boy
Reply #5 Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:59 AM
The AMD is far better than the Intel, but the Intel is a lot better to install cos thay are a lot tuffer, when putting the heatsink on you have to be more carefull with the AMD chip.....
Xythe
Reply #6 Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:01 AM
I'm an Athlon fan. Thats all I build.
Tova7
Reply #7 Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:35 AM
I have AMD and think it rocks....just as fast as my sons newer pentium.
Smiley courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org
Bash2cool
Reply #8 Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:30 PM
I found two HP computers and they both have the same specs. but the processor is different. The AMD one was for $599 and the INtel for $799. why?...which one should i buy?