Please Read this if your UI is black and painting slowly

Saturday, December 17, 2005 by Neil Banfield | Discussion: WindowBlinds

If you have installed a pirate copy (AKA cracked) version of WindowBlinds 5, please be aware that the crack is faulty and WindowBlinds will cease to function correctly on your computer.

To fix this you just need to uninstall WB and if you wish install a purchased copy of WB, or the trial.

To uninstall, you can either wait for your computer to login, unload WB (either using wbconfig, display properties, or from a command prompt calling WBLOAD UNLOAD) and then uninstall WB.  Or you can boot into safe mode & uninstall WB from there.

Your computer has not been harmed in anyway.  Whoever made the crack did a poor job and patched out code that causes WindowBlinds to no longer be able to paint bitmaps (so title bars, borders, everything will be black).

Bichur
Reply #1 Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:08 PM

Jafo
Reply #2 Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:33 PM
The price you 'pay'..........for not 'paying'....
Bichur
Reply #3 Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:52 PM
you...you...you mean.....you get what you pay for?
aimzzz
Reply #4 Saturday, December 17, 2005 7:21 PM
It boggles the mind that people using a crack will blame the initial program instead of the effects of the crack when they have problems...

And come onto the company forum & blast the company & the program...

And claim that it ruined their system when the fix is a simple uninstall...

Reppiks
Reply #5 Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:53 PM
Im supprised they don't ask for their money back, crack writer's give refunds, don't they?
Diafragma
Reply #6 Sunday, December 18, 2005 1:18 AM
No wonder a few people were asking me to help them with their WB program not skinning correctly and I couldn't tell what was wrong...
MilkMan0214
Reply #7 Sunday, December 18, 2005 3:33 AM
So the cracked version was working fine, and then it spontaneously imploded? Did Stardock figure out a way to pull that off, or did the crackers just mess something up? If you guys did make that happen, congratulations... that would be the most amusing way to combat piracy I've seen yet. Let everyone who downloaded an illegal copy spend hours trying to fix their system, then laugh at them when they come on to the forums to complain. Nice.
Vailene
Reply #8 Sunday, December 18, 2005 5:48 AM
Well done Neil. My sentiments exactally It's things like this that need to be made an example of. Finally, I've seen someone take initiative to basically say, "Pee Off" (Kept it clean) to the "crackers".
Jafo
Reply #9 Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:42 AM

As far as I'm aware...because WB is 'quite closely integrated into the MS OS if people mess with its code [read....'attempt to crack'] there is a very real chance that a standard Windows Update may adversely affect its smooth running....at least that's what seems to have happened.

Last I checked, my WB5 is ticking along nicely....and so are my most recent [up to date] Windows Updates...

That kinda-sorta means my WB is a legal one....

Frogboy
Reply #10 Sunday, December 18, 2005 6:09 PM

There are various backup checks in WindowBlinds that work in a variety of ways.  However, the cracks that are out there brute forced it and made it so that when one of the backup checks turned on, that WindowBlinds could no longer repaint their resources.

Threi
Reply #11 Sunday, December 18, 2005 8:33 PM
or...they will just have patience till a better crack comes out...people have patience, u know...
Chris907
Reply #12 Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:41 PM
**edit** Ah my issue was just NIS being dumb again.

vermin1302
Reply #13 Monday, December 19, 2005 12:55 AM
This is amusing; I installed WB5 that a friend gave me; said it was legit, gave me a serial number and all. Then I had this problem, found out it was because of some crack gone wrong.

Well, needless to say, I've gone back to the copy of WB4.x that I purchased last year. Assclown, giving me pirated software.
nobodyspecial97
Reply #14 Monday, December 19, 2005 3:50 AM
Well Funny thing... i just purchased a copy today.. updated and well.. still having similiar issues here... i guess i will have to uninstall and try again... $%#@%$%@%@$!!!
Neil Banfield
Reply #15 Monday, December 19, 2005 3:52 AM
nobodyspecial97: You will need to remove all of WB before installing the full version.  If wbsrv.dll remains on your pc after an uninstall, then delete it (you may need to rename it instead) before installing the full version.
SauravX
Reply #16 Monday, December 19, 2005 3:54 AM
well, i m using a legit copy & everything is fine, but this is not what my concern is, the thing is there are many UI elements that WB5 doesn't skin, compared to WB 4.6, like the MDI button in Photoshop or Yahoo messanger 7 Menus or Nero 7 buttons, and a lot more.

right now, I m back to WB 4.6 until there is an update like Windowsblinds 5.1 or .01 with fix for these, also looking forward for the release skin studio 5
legokid201
Reply #17 Monday, December 19, 2005 8:49 AM
i have a legal copy that i payed for and that happened and i bought it from stardock and it is perfectly legal except i lost recipt
Bichur
Reply #18 Monday, December 19, 2005 8:53 AM
legokid201

email support@stardock.com with the email address you originally ordered from
legokid201
Reply #19 Monday, December 19, 2005 8:54 AM
i have changed emails and deleted my old account since then so i don have email right now
Koasati
Reply #20 Monday, December 19, 2005 9:32 AM
Surely you can get a free email account, and email Stardock with the info.... even if you no longer have the email you used when you purchased the app, you can tell support what that email was.