FireFox version 1.0.7 Update

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 by Hankers | Discussion: Personal Computing

Firefox 1.0.7 is a security and stability release. We strongly recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.

This version includes several security and stability fixes, including a fix for a reported buffer overflow vulnerability and a fix for a Linux shell command vulnerability.

Specific changes in Firefox 1.0.7

* Fix for a potential buffer overflow vulnerability when loading a hostname with all soft-hyphens
* Fix to prevent URLs passed from external programs from being parsed by the shell (Linux only)
* Fix to prevent a crash when loading a Proxy Auto-Config (PAC) script that uses an "eval" statement
* Fix to restore InstallTrigger.getVersion() for Extension authors
_02
Reply #1 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:04 AM
Thanks!
PurrBall
Reply #2 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:25 PM
I'm already using version 1.4.
Cavan1
Reply #3 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:40 PM
Thanks Hankers.

I'm already using version 1.4.

Meowy, is that the beta, if so any bugs or problems.
kona0197
Reply #4 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:18 PM
Is it just me or does Firefox come out with a new release every month?

Maybe it's because Firefox isn't as secure as you guys think it is...
tjesterb
Reply #5 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:29 PM
Maybe it's because Firefox isn't as secure as you guys think it is...

...or maybe it's because they haven't abandoned their users.
Island Dog
Reply #6 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:24 PM

Is it just me or does Internet Explorer come out with a new release every five years?

horizon
Reply #7 Wednesday, September 21, 2005 7:24 PM
lol
kona0197
Reply #8 Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:24 AM
You guys just wait. You'll see that IE7 is better.
Eroticus Prime
Reply #9 Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:49 AM
You guys just wait. You'll see that IE7 is better.

I don't see how that'll be the case, given that it's bringing nothing new to the table. At best, it'll be equal, otherwise (most likely) it'll continue to be the far inferior product it is today.

Love teh Firefox, kona. Love it.
Island Dog
Reply #10 Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:51 AM

You guys just wait. You'll see that IE7 is better.

I heard Microsoft is coming up with never heard before features such as tabbed browsing.

I really don't know why you are so against any other browser besides IE.  In terms of features and functionality, IE doesn't compare to Firefox or Opera.

kona0197
Reply #11 Thursday, September 22, 2005 9:56 AM
Probably because IE is the fastest browser and it's tied in to the OS.
Eroticus Prime
Reply #12 Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:41 AM
But it's been proven time and time again that for rendering speed IE is no match at all for either Firefox or Opera. It opens quicker, but that's because, as you said, it's tied into the OS. I'd say the inherent security risks there far outweigh the convenience of having your browser start a second or two earlier.
Chasbo
Reply #13 Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:46 AM
That's what I love about coming here. I heard about the security problems in Firefox, then the next day I see this post! Thanks. The update installed perfectly. Practice Safe Surfing!
kona0197
Reply #14 Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:08 PM
Mr Eroticus Prime - Firefox has it's security problems as well. Just so you know I've using IE for years now and all I get is maybe 10 spyware/adware a month and no viruses. Yes I have gotten a virus or two but I knew the website I visited to be shaky and expected a virus. Other than those few viruses I brought upon myself that were deleted right when I got them I have had no other problems. There is also a online test that shows that IE renders pages faster than Firefox. I'll have to dig up that link.

And by the way: https://www.wincustomize.com/Forums.aspx?ForumID=153&AID=87327#672688
bmetelsky
Reply #15 Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:24 PM
Kona,

I haven't gotten any spyware or adware in as many months as I can remember and I use Firefox.

It's not so much the browser as it is the surfing habits and anti-virus, spyware progs.
aimzzz
Reply #16 Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:27 PM
Hey, don't forget-- Opera is free now
PurrBall
Reply #17 Friday, September 23, 2005 5:51 PM
1.4 is the 1.5 Beta, but it works wonderful for me.

Just don't count on any of your extensions working.
horizon
Reply #18 Friday, September 23, 2005 6:33 PM
or skins
gfcentral002
Reply #19 Friday, September 23, 2005 7:14 PM
firefox for casual browsing - aol explorer for everything else including IE stuff - much nicer looking than IE is and runs better (and very nice tab browsing also)