Update to Stardock Central

Crashing Stardock Central

Sunday, April 24, 2005 by Ladysarajane | Discussion: Stardock Support General

Just downloaded the update to Stardock Central 2.07.333 Build 85.
If I have it check for updates to Skins and Themes, it acts like it is looking, but it comes back blank. No error message is given, but it says it is complete.
Also when I try to exit it, if I click on the right upper X or click on file and exit, It will close, but I get an error message to send to microsoft. This occurs only if I have tried to retrieve a skins/themes update.
Another problem, but it always doesn't occur, is if I click on Object Desktop, It flashes to the Object Desktop, then then it will show the Skin update manager, while the left pane shows I have Object Desktop highlighted.

Has anyone else experienced these problems when updating? I did restart my computer after upgrading(a habit from Win98)
I am running WindowsXP SP2, Atalon +1700 and 512ram.
Goelm
Reply #1 Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:14 AM
Yep, same thing on my end! blank shin and theme updares and shutdown error.

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
Goelm
Reply #2 Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:20 AM
This is what I get on the shutdown:

AppName: sdcentral.exe AppVer: 2.1.0.0 ModName: mfc42.dll
ModVer: 6.2.4131.0 Offset: 00001ad4

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
Ladysarajane
Reply #3 Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:53 PM
I get that error also.....I will try to uninstall and reinstall Stardock Central and see if that changes it.
Corky_O
Reply #4 Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:07 PM
Running same version - no error message or other conflicts here.
Jeff T
Reply #5 Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:16 PM
Skins and Themes Update blank.

Shutdown error.

....
Ladysarajane
Reply #6 Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:33 PM
Unable to uninstall Stardock Central. Keeps hanging. So I downloaded from Stardock.com and installed over my current installation. I now have 2.05.319 build 83. It asked me to update to the 2.07.333 build 85 and I told it no.

All my functions are back. I also noticed before I tried to uninstall it, it would crash if I hit the discussions and I clicked on one. It didn't give an error message. It just "disappeared"...hmmmmm I wonder......I am running Microsoft Beta Antispyware. Let me try to update Stardock Central again with that disabled.
Ladysarajane
Reply #7 Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:54 PM
Didn't work. Same thing keeps happening. I made a mistake on the build. The newest build is 2.07.330 build 85.(I got carried away with the 3's )
Bichur
Reply #8 Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:19 PM
Just tried it - got an error checking updates on DesktopX themes. Closed SDC with 'X' - sent error report.

Reopened SDC - clicked Object Desktop in left panel - no problem. Closed it - no problem.

Only seem to have problems with skins and themes.
MPD
Reply #9 Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:28 PM
This happened to me, too (won't update skin list, same dll error on program shutdown). I went to the "Stardock\SDCentral" folder in My Computer. In the list of files in that folder, there is a filename called "restore." It's listed as a shortcut. I double-clicked that file name, there was a short pause, then Stardock Central opened and everything is now working fine. In the properties dialog box for this file, the remarks say "restores previous version of Stardock Central."
aufisch
Reply #10 Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:49 PM
This is strange, I was not able to recreate this error, everything works fine here.

Questions to all that have the problems, are you Wincustomize subscribers and do you have the Wincustomise-Browser installed? I am not sure whether it has anything to do with that though....

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
Ladysarajane
Reply #11 Sunday, April 24, 2005 6:36 PM
Yes I do have a Wincustom browser and a subscription. Do you have the browser?
Cavan1
Reply #12 Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:59 PM
Same build here, non subscriber, no Wincustomize Browser. No Stardock Central problems. I may be wrong but updates for skins themes, are they not done thru Wincustomize Browser not by Stardock Central, if so would be a browser issue?
andrewfossey
Reply #13 Sunday, April 24, 2005 8:13 PM
I get the same errors aswell with the addition of the following error.

Double Zero
Reply #14 Sunday, April 24, 2005 8:22 PM
Well, SDC is updated to the current version on my end with no noticible issues...

Zero.

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
Bichur
Reply #15 Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:00 PM

yes & yes
MPD
Reply #16 Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:27 PM
When I was having the problem, yes I am a Wincustomize subscriber and yes I have the Wincustomize browser. In my case, when I was having the problem, I could update skins through the Wincustomize browser normally but not through Stardock Central. Previously I could update skins through either program. "Restoring" the previous version of SDC using the "restore" shortcut in the SDCentral folder cured the problem, at least for me.
Bichur
Reply #17 Sunday, April 24, 2005 11:07 PM
Just tried the restore in the folder. Still have 2.07.330 build 85, but now it seems to be working.
Double Zero
Reply #18 Monday, April 25, 2005 12:35 AM

I have 2.07.330 build 86* and it's working fine..
It is odd that on some PC's it works fine and others it doesnt,I wonder what it could be conflicting with on the other machines...

Zero.

Posted via WinCustomize Browser/Stardock Central
Bichur
Reply #19 Monday, April 25, 2005 12:51 AM
Where did you get 86*?
Double Zero
Reply #20 Monday, April 25, 2005 1:23 AM
I just updated SDC and thats what they gave me..LoL..