Those were the days

Friday, September 15, 2023 by 3java3 | Discussion: WindowBlinds

I can remember when sometimes there would be several new skins on the Windowblinds gallery, daily! Like around 2005, for example. From around 2003 I suppose, up to around early 2023, there were quite a number of very special and unique and wonderful skins available to download, even if the better ones were Master Skins that weren't free. 2005 - 2012 were the golden years, IMO, and 2012-early 2023 were still great years, but the aura wasn't quite as bright as it was. I kinda miss those days. So many classics from the likes of adni18, boxxi, don5318, retiredmaster, lightstar, neone6, vampothika, navagatsio, treetog, jj Ying, etc and so on. May I propose a Stardock hall of fame, a top 100  or even a top 50 list of classic windowblinds? I think that would be something really cool to feature!  I have noticed that lately there has been a lack of new skins, and wonder why that is. But anyway, I am very thankful and grateful for the creativity expressed and shared with all of these wonderful skins, start buttons, cursors, wallpaper, and the like. Have a super and awesome weekend!

Reply #1 Friday, September 15, 2023 4:24 PM

Well, you have the top skins and top skinners on WC's homepage by downloads, but that arguably has a few problems associated: some great skinners stopped at a certain point (as you pointed out), and OSs kept changing, so dls aren't a perfect indicator.

Some Masters pulled their skins and aren't available anymore so how can they qualify or be judged, and who qualifies as a judge?

Nah. Everyone has their fave skin/s, and fave skinner/s per app...as a recent thread showed, if I remember correctly.

When I think about it, they were all great and courageous...and I leave it at that.

LightStar
Reply #2 Friday, September 15, 2023 6:27 PM

I am working on updating all of my themes, free and Premium. I am trying to upload an updated Premium and a free theme each day 3java3, as well as a new theme when I can. I am updating both my designs and vStyler's as well and they are on my site now. It is a LOT of work, but well worth it to keep people happy,

LightStar Design – OS Customization Designs

3java3
Reply #3 Friday, September 15, 2023 10:22 PM

Dr. JBHL has made some valid points that I wasn't considering. I have 3 blinds of my own, trouble is, I am green behind the ears, and they have glitches that I do not know how to fix.

I find that Skinstudio is complicated and tricky to navigate, so for now, I just use my own blinds for my own personal use. Just thankful that I can contribute to the community in other ways. Thank you, Lightstar for all that you do!

LightStar
Reply #4 Saturday, September 16, 2023 7:31 AM

You're welcome 3java3! Maybe you can PM me and tell me if your using Windows 10 or 11, the name of the blinds you are having a problem with and what the problem is, I might be able to help.

Reply #5 Saturday, September 16, 2023 9:34 PM

LightStar

That is the answer of a genuine Master skinner. It's the answer I wished to suggest but didn't because I suspected Tom is quite busy updating his site, skinning and keeping up with family and other chores tied to living life. Bless you Tom, from the heart.

LightStar
Reply #6 Sunday, September 17, 2023 8:30 AM

Thank you, I try Doc, I try.