Please add "report" button to skin comments

Monday, April 4, 2022 by 2of3 | Discussion: Master Skinners Lounge

Like the post title stated, I'm asking for the long requested report button to be added to skin comments. If you want to limit "abuse" you could limit it to journeyman and higher or something.

My main reason for asking is merely due to the sheer amount of spam I'm experiencing on skin comments in the last year or so. Currently the only way for me to get the spam removed is by contacting an admin and pointing to every single instance of spam in the comments. It's very tiring to keep up with and a one click solution could solve the entire issue (click report and an admin is alerted giving him the option to ban the offender)

Thanks

Tim

AzDude
Reply #1 Monday, April 4, 2022 4:35 PM

Hello,

I have forwarded your report to the Stardock support team for their review and recommendations.

Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates.

We really do appreciate your feedback, thanks.

2of3
Reply #2 Monday, April 4, 2022 5:03 PM

AzDude

Hello,

Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates.

We really do appreciate your feedback, thanks.

teddybearcholla
Reply #3 Monday, April 4, 2022 7:29 PM

Great idea Tim!

2of3
Reply #4 Monday, April 11, 2022 4:38 PM

Bump

RedneckDude
Reply #5 Monday, April 11, 2022 8:44 PM

I would have to agree.  Jafo and I had to wade through a crapload of spam comments on mine.  I eventually gave up.

Jafo
Reply #6 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 12:48 AM

Guys...all you do is link me to the upload with spam...I can surf through all the comments and clean.  What makes life VERY, repeat VERY difficult is when people are indifferent...and thus let the spammer continue unchecked.

Because the uploads are differnt and individual without cross-connection...like the forums...I have to delete EVERY single spam comment individually.  THERE IS NO "delete all" button.

If people were aware of this they themselves would be proactive and help make my work less of a pain.

Each spam incidence requires several page loads to access banning.

Reply #7 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 4:10 AM

Jafo just gave me a brand spanking new spam vacuum cleaner. Send me the links. Help me break it in.

*edit: I've cleaned up what you were referring to. If there's more, send me the links.

2of3
Reply #8 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 11:04 AM

Each spam incidence requires several page loads to access banning.

I still don't see why a "report" button cannot be added to the skin comments like there is here in the forum.

Alternatively, I would settle for a "contact mod/admin" button to be added to the menu bar at the top of each page next to Home Explore Articles Forums Shop Upload. As it is now, one has to go into the forum and find a post authored by a mod or a comment by one in order to report an issue.

I realize that you must have some cumbersome admin tools if it takes so many steps to ban someone. Ideally banning someone would remove any and all trace of the offender (including forum thread/posts and skin comments), but that's obviously not the case.

Reply #9 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 1:07 PM

Actually, it is. And yes, from Galleries it's a longer process, but just as effective. Do you see any spam on the page anymore, or in your gallery?

2of3
Reply #10 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 2:05 PM

Here is a list of the repeat offenders on my gallery:

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

WinCustomize: MyWincustomize

Please note that I would still like an answer to my original request or my alternative in Reply #8 marked in blue.

As it stands now, making us jump through hoops in order to get ahold of a mod to report an issue makes it look like y'all really don't want us to contact you...

Reply #11 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 4:11 PM

Jafo can answer that as the site's coding is a Stardock matter.

You're not being asked to jump through any hoops, and we're the ones asking you to contact us. That can hardly be interpreted as us not wanting to be contacted.

You're only being asked to send a comment link, which is exactly what the report button does, until the powers that be decide to make the galleries like the forums.

The forum report button sends us an email with the link to the response being reported, not simply a nickname, so that we can see the comment, or post being reported.

Banning, exiling, etc. is based on an actual comment.

RedneckDude
Reply #12 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 6:39 PM

This is all well and good, but when you have over 1500 skins in the galleries, as do I, it's a bit like work to hunt down and link to all that.

Jafo
Reply #13 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 7:49 PM

2of3...all those links are meaningless as all they show are the user's profile, not the spam, or even where it is.

To all.......

If you want 'hoops' try wading through every comment on every page of every upload by every member.  Even a number like 1500 is irrelevant when the potential is in the millions.

If you cannot be bothered to monitor your own corner of the site and nip it in the bud early you simply are making it worse for all.

The way the database servers evolved there was/is no way to scrub user comments from galleries with one click. If there are 1000 spam by 1 spammer it takes a copy/paste of a nick into a separate search page....load details...write 'spam' into comment press 'ip ban' and wait.....then return to original reported comment....and press delete.  Then you have removed 1 comment.

Then you have the joy of 999 more page loads or scrolls on same upload to find the nick again and press delete....and wait.

Some members are considerate enough to send me direct links....but when I see really old comments It saddens me that some clearly don't care to help.

Jafo
Reply #14 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 8:00 PM

Now, it would be nice if there was a 'report' button available to maybe speed/simplify your end...but that may not be retroactive...so the current state of affairs would remain.

BTW, imagine the joy of jumping through hoops with a new report only to find he was banned years ago but the reporter had been lazy/tardy.

Same effort for admin with no reward.

Jafo
Reply #15 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 8:12 PM

I'll post here my number 1 wish of all time.

Any and all instances of a username no matter where should have admin tools directly connected. All instances should have a rightclick menu that includes all options for the general user AND all options for administration control.

My number 2 wish still is..

All galleries' comments should be able to be universally scrubbed.

Meanwhile gallery moderators still need your help.  There are currenty only 3 of us, but perhaps that can change.

Imagine.....RND becomes a mod and ends up at the coalface....

RedneckDude
Reply #16 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 9:08 PM

OMG!!!

What's coalface?

RedneckDude
Reply #17 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 9:09 PM

Ok.

What does back at the coalface mean?

doing the work involved in a job, in real working conditions, rather than planning or talking about it: At the coalface with a deadline looming, you sometimes feel under a lot of pressure.
RedneckDude
Reply #18 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 9:11 PM

Understood.

Jafo
Reply #19 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 9:16 PM

Yes, in a mine, the real work is at the coalface [end of the tunnel], where digging/extraction requires real effort...passing it back to bucket trains is 'easier' ...

RedneckDude
Reply #20 Tuesday, April 12, 2022 9:21 PM

Why do I always have to google your responses?  Us rednecks are easily confused...lol.