Enough. I ditched Google Chome.

Been using Brave for months.

Sunday, August 29, 2021 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

Not about "my browser can beat up yours".

This is about the endless privacy invasions by Chrome, and Google selling info and your security without a second thought (see external link above).

Enough is enough!

Here are four good ones and four to ditch asap.

Hankers
Reply #1 Sunday, August 29, 2021 7:39 AM

Thanks for posting, Seth. Good info.

SchismNavigator
Reply #2 Sunday, August 29, 2021 8:45 AM

Haven't touched Chrome in years. There are far better options out there.

Jafo
Reply #3 Sunday, August 29, 2021 9:38 AM

Strangely....coincidentally....I'd been using Chrome for over a decade exclusively....and last week it shat itself and I lost all my history...so I said...bugger it...and went to it's bastard cousin...Edge.

And...horror of horrors....am using Bing as a search engine...and not missing 'google'.

That'll remain the adverb....just not the noun...

starkers
Reply #4 Sunday, August 29, 2021 2:01 PM

I don't use Chrome, never have and never will.  I could never trust it due to Google's data mining and the collection of what ever information it can pry from users.  And another thing about it I'm annoyed about is when Chrome is bundled with other software.  All too often the opt out is obscure/hard to see and Chrome will get installed without specific consent.  That to me is dishonest and deceitful.  Sadly, it is nigh impossible to escape Googles 'all-seeing eye, what with so many sites on the WW Web using Google Analytics and its other data collection tools.

I use Mozilla Firefox as my main browser but I am interested in giving Brave and SRWare Iron Browser a go to see how they might suit me better.

I've been using Bing for a few years now and find it to be a decent search engine.  Yes, MS collects user information, but I've never been bombarded with ads or unwelcome data based on my search preferences, so I'm happy to keep using it.

elvee
Reply #5 Sunday, August 29, 2021 4:15 PM

I have a guaranteed way of securing your online privacy and information,

Sign out of everything, Turn off the internet and do things the old fashioned way.

Look, some services may be worse than others but in reality in today's world of convenience's you have to give something up to get what you want.

Even if you pay for it.  How secure is your privacy? There seems to always be a 'Data Leak' somewhere, somehow.

So the way I see it is if you need to ditch something like Chrome, then you might as well ditch everything associated with Google. That goes the same for Apple, Microsoft, etc...

Why cut off a branch when the tree is still in your way?

JanOscar
Reply #6 Sunday, August 29, 2021 4:48 PM

elvee

I have a guaranteed way of securing your online privacy and information,

Why cut off a branch when the tree is still in your way?
That!

kona0197
Reply #7 Monday, August 30, 2021 3:20 AM

Just a side note it really does not matter what browser you use. There is no such thing as true privacy if you use the internet.

Reply #8 Monday, August 30, 2021 5:22 AM

Good seeing you, elvee.

Trying to keep one's data private is a struggle...maybe even a losing one, but browsers like Chrome and Edge/Explorer have no place on my machine because of their gross negligence and over collection of data to sell.

elvee
Reply #9 Monday, August 30, 2021 5:43 PM

Hi Doc!

But yeah, Kona speaks the truth on this.

In the end all that matters is what you are comfortable with.

JanOscar
Reply #10 Monday, August 30, 2021 7:09 PM

"My private date" - "Your private data" ?

100% privacy does not exist.

I use an adblocker & then some and rarely see any ads or contents based om my interests that I have not actively chosen. I don't care if Google knows that I search for "Charlie Watts", "best pizza" or "titties" for that matter. Why should I? I don't do anything outside the law that I'm aware of, so why should I care? What about you? Why is it so dangerous that your online life become a part of big data?

starkers
Reply #11 Monday, August 30, 2021 8:11 PM

JanOscar

100% privacy does not exist.

You're right, 100% privacy went out the window when large internet companies began data mining to gain business advantages.... with Google being the worst offender of invading internet users personal information, whether or not they use Google services.

I know that I'm being watched wherever I go on the WWW, and that's why I take precautions with ad blockers and anti-tracking add-ons.  It may not eliminate all of it, but I guess that's the price we pay to use the internet.

JanOscar

Not too bothered about your pizza searches, but I wouldn't mind if you were to share your titties search results with me.

elvee
Reply #12 Monday, August 30, 2021 8:36 PM

starkers

JanOscar
Reply #13 Monday, August 30, 2021 9:21 PM

starkers

Reply #14 Tuesday, August 31, 2021 12:19 AM

I don't care what anyone says. I refuse to share my titties.. errr...data with google, apple, ms or anyone but starkers...but his data leaks, and has for years!

I do know that privacy ended long ago, guys, but the blatant arrogance of google really got my goat, and after seeing the article, I decided to warn folks off Chrome because there really are better alternatives.

don5318
Reply #15 Tuesday, August 31, 2021 1:30 AM

Those would be some interesting pics, for sure Doc!

starkers
Reply #16 Tuesday, August 31, 2021 7:27 PM

Are you suggesting that I have acquired chronic internet incontinence?

Daiwa
Reply #17 Friday, September 10, 2021 10:00 PM

Just when I was about to start to sorta like Edge, you do this to me, Seth.

Back to Brave on Windows (which has a TOR option).  Although Brave has an iOS app, I've been using DuckDuckGo browser; if I remember correctly, only because it got to the App Store first.  DDG may be working on a Windows browser, which would be nice.

For good measure, NordVPN on all my devices.

johngibreci
Reply #18 Saturday, September 11, 2021 5:38 PM

I used Chrome before on my old lapto, but it was eating so much RAM so I stopped using it. I really don't see why people use this browser so much, probably cause a lot of softwares are advertising it. I think Avast is one of them, they constantly pop up ads to download Chrome, it's crazy.

But yea, I just use Opera these days. It's working ok for me so far, can't complain.

starkers
Reply #19 Saturday, September 11, 2021 6:04 PM

For good measure, NordVPN on all my devices.

Same here... never open my browser without it being activated.  However, there are some news sites and the like who do not like it, so I pause it when wanting to read the news.

I'm still using Firefox as my main browser, though I have tried others and sort of don't mind them.  I guess FF is what I'm accustomed to and comfortable with.

redlucas89