Leaving/Walking away from Skinning.....

Friday, August 27, 2021 by don5318 | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I've given this a lot of thought, and I have decided to walk away from skinning, not sure if I'll be back or not,  It just doesn't seem to be the same anymore (for me), when I started here back in 2001, there was a ton of great skinners, (Masters or not) now it's just a handful (if that) of us left, and now there'll be one less.  After the first of the year, I'll decide what to do with my skin gallery, whether to keep it,  or have it taken down. I appreciate those who supported me by buying my Master skins, I'll still be around, just won't be skinning.

LightStar
Reply #1 Friday, August 27, 2021 7:08 PM

Sad to hear this Don, but I respect your decision. Personally though, the only way I will stop is if I kick the bucket.

RedneckDude
Reply #2 Friday, August 27, 2021 7:10 PM

I will hate to see you go. There's not many skinners that can top your skins.

JanOscar
Reply #3 Friday, August 27, 2021 7:16 PM

Sad. Sad. Sad. But it's your life & time and you only who decides, Don!

starkers
Reply #4 Friday, August 27, 2021 7:39 PM

I really love your skins and am sad to see you're going to stop creating them.  However, if you don't have the passion or desire to continue then I respect your decision and will cherish your WBs even more when I apply them.

Anyway, thanks for all you've done and I'm glad that you'll still be around WC to chat with, etc.

Chasbo
Reply #5 Friday, August 27, 2021 8:51 PM

Don, if you have lost the fire in the belly to skin then that's it. Personally I wish it were not so because I think you are one of the best skinners ever. As Starkers said I'll be using your skins even if you aren't making them anymore.

I thank you for letting me make some Rainys and Rainmeters for your skins in the past.

I know if you ever change your mind in the future you'll be welcomed back by all!

Dcrew57
Reply #6 Friday, August 27, 2021 9:06 PM

As others have already expressed, Sad to hear but at the same time its your life and you can do as you please, nobody else should ever be an influence on that. Your skins have always rocked, as i have made several gadgets from your works. I will as well as the community will miss your contributions. It has been a pleasure having you around. Take care and do what you want.

silverfox491
Reply #7 Friday, August 27, 2021 9:10 PM

I think you just need a long vacation.

don5318
Reply #8 Friday, August 27, 2021 10:07 PM

silverfox491

I think you just need a long vacation.

Perhaps you're right silverfox491, perhaps you're right, so much is going on in my personal life, I just don't have the time, or urge to, thank  you.

raclark
Reply #9 Friday, August 27, 2021 10:40 PM

Sad day.

Wish you the best!

MAN DOWN ... WE'RE A MAN DOWN!!!!

silverfox491
Reply #10 Friday, August 27, 2021 11:17 PM

No problem, been there done that.

alphabyte
Reply #11 Saturday, August 28, 2021 12:27 AM

Love your themes and sad to see you walk away from skinning, but I totally respect your decision. You've made a lasting, positive impact in the customization community and your legacy will live on through all of your fantastic creations! Thank you for all your contributions!

Reply #12 Saturday, August 28, 2021 1:02 AM

Don, I hope your personal life gets better. I can't think of anyone more deserving. If you feel you need a time out, you're likely right. Take the time.

I'm glad you aren't thinking of leaving. I and many others would truly miss you.

Be well, smell the roses, catch the dawns and sunsets. Know your friends are always around. 🖖

don5318
Reply #13 Saturday, August 28, 2021 1:54 AM

Thank you so much Doc, for the kind words, means a lot, thank you.

You and the WC community is the best family of friends, anyone can ask for, as I step away for a while, it's nice to know that I'm well thought of, that in itself will go a long way, on my new journey, hopefully, it will be short, thank you all for your kind words.

ProtocolX
Reply #14 Saturday, August 28, 2021 2:33 AM

Wow! 20 years service.
Well done. And all the best with whatever you do.

1nsomn1ac
Reply #15 Saturday, August 28, 2021 5:05 AM

you are one of the best wb skinners. i always love cool, different & unique skins which makes me want to look deeper and you have made so many and i really enjoy them.
will be sad to see you stop making it, hope your personal life goes better.
please don't take down your gallery, too many cool skins will be lost, it's your legacy, maybe in the next 15 years someone will come & update them for the next os & will happily use them at that time (..and someone else will come to ask: do you have consent from don5318?)

starkers
Reply #16 Saturday, August 28, 2021 5:14 AM

And another thing, now I think of it, Don, you were the main skinner who showed interest in my idea of combining Steampunk with dragons. So if and when you're ready to come back to skinning, I'd be only too willing to input any ideas I have and provide some images of what I have in mind.

At the moment, though, take care of yourself and stay well and safe.

Jafo
Reply #17 Saturday, August 28, 2021 5:26 AM

Don....what Dcrew said.

20 years is a long time.....things change.

And a change is as good as a holiday......

Just don't be too scarce...

teddybearcholla