Windows 11? No Thanks...

Wednesday, August 4, 2021 by kona0197 | Discussion: Personal Computing

First let me say I KNOW that Windows 11 is in the beta stage. That being said, I'm part of the Windows Insider program. The other day, just to see what the fuss was all about, I installed 11. Other then the fact that is boots faster on my system then 10, I really don't like it. What was the point in moving the icons to the center of the taskbar? Highly annoying. Good thing I was able to move them back to where they belong along the left edge. And the Start menu is a mess. All it is is a place for the apps you have pinned and a list that shows the most recent documents you opened. To get to a list of your apps you need to click "All App" in the upper corner. Would it not have been easier to leave an app list along the left side as Windows 10 has? Or least give me the OPTION to have a list there? I am thankful they got rid of live tiles, I never use them and find them highly annoying. I am a fan of how 11 handles notifications. The right click context menu was changed, now there are icons for cut, copy, paste, rename, and a few others. I did not enjoy that because I am so used to the old way and my eyesight isn't as good as it once was so copying and pasting was a chore. And the taskbar itself, even set to dark mode, is NOT as black as the same taskbar in 10. More like almost black, but not quite black. And the pinned icons on the taskbar were blurry and not as sharp as I see here in 10. And don't even get me started on the mess they call the settings.

All in all, all these together were a deal breaker for me. I hope MS polishes it more before they release it to the public. Needless to say I went back to 10.

S J N
Reply #1 Wednesday, August 4, 2021 10:47 PM

Will Win 11 auto update from 10? If so, how does one prevent it?

kona0197
Reply #2 Wednesday, August 4, 2021 10:57 PM

I believe it will be an optional update. You can choose to install it or not.

DaveRI
Reply #3 Thursday, August 5, 2021 1:50 AM

What was the point in moving the icons to the center of the taskbar?

"When all else fails, rearrange the furniture."

mizoss
Reply #4 Thursday, August 5, 2021 4:11 AM

S J N

Will Win 11 auto update from 10? If so, how does one prevent it?

I use my firewall to prevent WIn10 from enforced auto-updates, I use ESET Internet Security in Interactive Mode of its firewall which notifies me about every single process tries to go online,, once it tells me that Windows update or settings or BITS or HIPS trying to access microsoft servers, I Deny them. I tried many small external tools to control updating like WAU manager & Baltagy stop windows update,  & others but after a while they don't work & win10 auto-updates against your will !!

gypsy2299
Reply #5 Thursday, August 5, 2021 11:53 AM

kona0197

I believe it will be an optional update. You can choose to install it or not.

Windows 11 like windows 95,98, Vista, 7, 8.1, and all others is a new operating system, it will only be "updated" when you give Microsoft currency of the variety that people in your country normally conduct business with.

kona0197
Reply #6 Thursday, August 5, 2021 4:22 PM

gypsy2299

Not true. Windows 11 will be a free update for anyone using Windows 10. Microsoft has already made this clear.

SchismNavigator
Reply #7 Thursday, August 5, 2021 4:40 PM

There was a time I'd install it day one but I am happy to wait and see what shakes loose.

ALMonty
Reply #8 Thursday, August 5, 2021 4:52 PM

Does Start 10 work on Win 11?

gypsy2299
Reply #9 Thursday, August 5, 2021 4:53 PM

kona0197

Quoting gypsy2299,

Now Microsoft giving something away for no monetary gain for themselves scares me. I mean terrify as in Freddy Kruger popping out of the closet terrifying.

Now is the time to get an ironclad guarantee that there is absolutely no spyware. adware or other way they can profit from this "free" gift. Also an absolute guarantee that if you opt out you are permanently opted out until you opt in.

AzDude
Reply #10 Thursday, August 5, 2021 5:05 PM

ALMonty

Does Start 10 work on Win 11?

No  but Start11 is on the way - Stay-Tuned ..

teddybearcholla
Reply #11 Thursday, August 5, 2021 5:15 PM

DaveRI

What was the point in moving the icons to the center of the taskbar?

"When all else fails, rearrange the furniture."

ALMonty
Reply #12 Thursday, August 5, 2021 6:26 PM

AzDude

Quoting ALMonty,

Does Start 10 work on Win 11?

No  but Start11 is on the way - Stay-Tuned ..

starkers
Reply #13 Thursday, August 5, 2021 6:44 PM

I wasn't at all keen on Win 10 to begin with, but over the years I have warmed to it and prefer it over prior Win OSes, and I'm thinking the same of Win 11 and will warm to it if there are some dislikes.  I haven't installed Win 11 as yet, but from what I've seen thus far it looks as if it will be okay.

Time will tell, though.

2of3
Reply #14 Friday, August 6, 2021 1:48 PM

Might be time to seriously consider a Linux distro for my part. If MS is pushing win 11 for free, it's because there is a monetary gain to be had somewhere.

I could still do a bit of skinning whenever the bug hits me since we have several windows computers in the house as a family of 5.

kona0197
Reply #15 Saturday, August 7, 2021 1:41 AM

Well to be fair, Microsoft pushed Windows 10 for free as well and now we all use it.

Vampothika
Reply #16 Saturday, August 7, 2021 3:09 PM

AzDude

Quoting ALMonty,

Does Start 10 work on Win 11?

No  but Start11 is on the way - Stay-Tuned ..

oh good, i wanted to know this as well

c242
Reply #17 Sunday, August 8, 2021 3:29 AM

Vampothika

Quoting AzDude,

Quoting ALMonty,

Does Start 10 work on Win 11?

No  but Start11 is on the way - Stay-Tuned ..

oh good, i wanted to know this as well

I just came here today for that question!

The new startmenu is a total letdown. The biggest laugh is when you blend out recent programs it stil occupies that space for nothing.

brainmicksau
Reply #18 Monday, August 9, 2021 10:59 PM

S J N

Will Win 11 auto update from 10? If so, how does one prevent it?

Microsoft already made it clear that the Windows 11 update won’t be forced upon Windows 10 users at launch. If you want to upgrade, you'll have to do so manually by heading to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update. Avoid that menu once Windows 11 launches, and you should not have to worry about the update trying to install itself any time soon.

Aravisian
Reply #19 Tuesday, August 10, 2021 3:24 AM

You can also skin all you want on Linux. Well, as long as you avoid Gnome D.E., that is...

starkers
Reply #20 Tuesday, August 10, 2021 9:48 AM

After reading about all the likes and dislikes of Win 11, I'm thinking it will eventually take the place of Win 10 as the most widely used OS and we'll all be wondering what the fuss was all about.  I'll admit that I didn't like Win 10 to begin with, but it eventually grew on me and from what I've seen thus far I feel that Win 11 will a better, more refined OS out of the box, so yeah, roll on official release day.