The March 2021 Cumulative Updates Are Causing Printing Bluescreens

Probably best to defer the update until MS solves the problem

Wednesday, March 10, 2021 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

I receive Ghacks updates routinely. Today I received one which while nothing out of the ordinary for MS, caused me some concern regarding the March 2021 Cumulative Update issued on Patch Tuesday (yesterday).

"The updates patch security issues, all with the second-highest severity rating of important. One of the additional issues that these updates patch is a printing to FILE ports vulnerability. The issue is patched in updates for all versions of Windows, from Windows 7 to Windows 10...According to the reports, updates may cause bluescreens in win32kfull.sys when printing after update installation. Some appear to have mitigated the issue by deinstalling and reinstallation printers on systems, but it does not seem to work for everyone. Others resolved the issue by updating printer drivers." - GHacks

I've delayed my updates for seven days, as MS hasn't even acknowledged the issue yet. I may have to add another seven days to the delay.

You might consider delaying your update, as well.

Chasbo
Reply #1 Wednesday, March 10, 2021 6:51 PM

I'm 7 days as well Sir!

Jafo
Reply #2 Thursday, March 11, 2021 5:46 AM

I'll have to see what 0 Patch has done for my 7 ....

LightStar
Reply #3 Thursday, March 11, 2021 12:12 PM

No issues here with all Windows 10 Pro updates done.

Reply #4 Tuesday, March 16, 2021 8:04 AM

Update: MS has created out of band fixes for this blue screen print problem.

You can read about them here:

Reply #5 Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:31 AM

Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying.

"Large fleas have smaller fleas that sit on their backs and bite them, and the smaller fleas have smaller fleas, and so on ad infinitum."

Daiwa
Reply #6 Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:57 AM

Fingers crossed.

don5318
Reply #7 Tuesday, March 23, 2021 1:41 PM

It caused so much problems on my system, I rolled back to Win 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1440) runs sooo much better, and if I loose support for it, I'll just go strictly Mac.    for the time being.

Jafo
Reply #8 Tuesday, March 23, 2021 10:56 PM

Roll back to windows 7....

don5318
Reply #9 Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:10 PM

Roll back to windows 7....

Say, not a bad idea Paul!