So starkers Gets Himself Mobility Scooter

should have done so months ago but was too, too stubborn.

Sunday, December 6, 2020 by starkers | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Yup, I've ordered myself a mobility scooter due to increasing difficulty getting out and about.... home again since I no longer drive and have issues riding a bike, and I can't afford to keep getting taxis every time I need to go out/get home again.

A few days ago I had to go to Bunnings to get a few things, and that's when I decided enough was enough.  It's a walk I had done several times, and I got there okay, but on the way home I could barely put one foot in front of the other. It's about a 15 minute walk each way for a fit and healthy person - usually it took me around 25 to 35 minutes each way - but on the way home that day it took me close to an hour, thus prompting the decision to get a mobility scooter.

It hasn't been easy to get out for the last ten years or so due to arthritic hips and knees, lower back issues.  However, I was determined to maintain my own independence: on my own two legs... or should I say I was too darned stubborn to avail myself of helpful mobility aids.

Anyway, two scooters will be brought here on Thursday to allow me a couple of practice runs before deciding which one best suits my needs.  After that I won't know myself... or should I say restrictions as to where and how far I can go.

Heh, I'll be able to chase - and catch - wild women: "Ere me lovely, do 'e wanna a lift somewhere?" and I'd 'ave ter sit 'er up in tha shoppin' basket cos me knee 'd be too weak n' sore.

mrs_starkers1
Reply #1 Monday, December 7, 2020 6:04 AM

fast scooter

yeah well ya best not be trying to chase any wild woman while I am riding alongside ya or I will just get up to 10ks an hour and then you can eat my dust lol

starkers
Reply #2 Monday, December 7, 2020 8:20 PM

I'll chase wild women if you're with me or not... just to see if I could catch one after years of being way too slow, even if they were on a Zimmer frame.  Thing would be whether or not I can remember what to do after such a long time of coming up short.

Only today and tomorrow to go and I'll have my wheels.

Jafo
Reply #3 Monday, December 7, 2020 10:15 PM

There's a shop just up the road from where we live that sells them....kinda liked the look of the one with a windscreen, roof, and 2 doors...

Jafo
Reply #4 Monday, December 7, 2020 11:01 PM

was a bit like this one...

starkers
Reply #5 Wednesday, December 9, 2020 12:08 AM

was a bit like this one...

Yeah, great for inclement weather, but sadly well out of my price range.   Thing is, I could see myself in one of those fitted with air-con and an MP3 player so's I can have tunes will travel.  The other thing would be a little trailer to bring my beer supplies home in.

starkers
Reply #6 Wednesday, December 9, 2020 12:21 AM

Oh yeah, something else!  Some bastard in the UK hacked my VISA debit card [won't use a credit card] and siphoned off $750 to gamble with some UK online betting mob.  I never, ever gamble whether it be on horse or greyhound racing; footie; boxing or UFC-type fights; pokies or lottery tickets.  Gladly I never got hooked on that stupidity.

Unfortunately, I will be left a bit short tomorrow but I can still pay the deposit on the mobility scooter.  The bank assures me that I will get my money back but probably not in time for me to sort out the rent and bills, etc, on Friday.

starkers
Reply #7 Wednesday, December 9, 2020 8:50 PM

It is here, my independence and freedom-mobile, and it's quite a nice machine, too.  I had a bit of a practice on it to see how it feels, etc, and it is very comfortable, easy to operate.

Will post pics later.  Shaunna has taken it to go pick up some milk and bread to tide us over 'til we go shopping tomorrow.

SamEVO
Reply #8 Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:36 PM

after all these years starkers still isn't right in the head. it's easily explained though. for him, the world is upside down.

Jafo
Reply #9 Wednesday, December 9, 2020 11:20 PM

SamEVO

That's entirely relative.  To me he's right-way up.

Can't even gloat that he's in Tasmania and thus doesn't count...as I'm a Tasmanian...

starkers
Reply #10 Thursday, December 10, 2020 4:58 AM

SamEVO

I was never right in the head, even when I lived in the Northern Hemisphere in the UK.... I'm left-handed and even use left-handed screwdrivers, left-handed spades and left-handed knives and forks, spoons and frying pans.

Not only that, the Southern Hemisphere is actually up the right way.... there is no up or down in space, meaning that we're all up the right way, even here in Tasmania, which these days is a really nice place to live.  I fact, Jafo, who's never actually been here on the main island of Tassie, should oughta come have a visit here and take in some of the most fantastic scenery the world has to offer.

Anyhow, SamEvo, 'tis good to see you again, hope all is well with you and yours.

Reply #11 Thursday, December 10, 2020 9:01 AM

Starkers will always be The Cap'n.

starkers
Reply #12 Thursday, December 10, 2020 9:30 AM

Good un, Doc, just what the doctor ordered to bring a smile to my face.

1337yazman
Reply #13 Thursday, December 10, 2020 10:20 AM

You're a funny guy, Starkers!

starkers
Reply #14 Friday, December 11, 2020 6:04 PM

1337yazman

You're a funny guy, Starkers!

I try to be cos it helps lift my spirits when I'm feeling a bit low.  As they say [whoever 'they' are] laughter is the best medicine.

Jafo
Reply #15 Friday, December 11, 2020 6:14 PM

The problem with the one in my pic....is that it's a single seater...and yet has 2 doors....and so you wonder why....and the only answer can be....for when [not if] it blows over onto its side...

starkers
Reply #16 Saturday, December 12, 2020 8:02 PM

That is a distinct possibility.  It could also be for when parked and somebody parks too close and blocks access to one of the doors... then there's the other side.  However, it'd be no good if somebody did the same on the other side.

I suppose one could always enter via the sun roof.

mrs_starkers1
Reply #17 Wednesday, December 23, 2020 5:42 PM

so Capn Starkers has asked if I would put some piccys up of his scooter so Here they are

DaveRI
Reply #18 Wednesday, December 23, 2020 7:29 PM

If you got just the right amount of weight in that rear pack and scooted back in the seat, you just might be able to do wheelies

mrs_starkers1
Reply #19 Thursday, December 24, 2020 10:34 AM

DaveRI

I have tried it out and yeah I popped a wheelie or 2 but ssssshhhhhh  don't tell starkers that ok its our secret

Frogboy
Reply #20 Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:06 PM

Pretty neat.  My mom has been thinking of getting one of these