Windows XP Suite (WIP)

Luna, Silver & Olive Styles for Windows 7,8 & 10

Monday, May 25, 2020 by SimplexDesigns | Discussion: Skinning

Got enough done to show of a re-creation of the Windows XP theme for modern day systems, some XP elements had to be remade from scratch as they were way to small dpi wise and looked super blurry. Luna style is 100%, I am currently working on remaking the Silver and Olive elements(Might make other colors depending on feedback). Hope you like what I have done so far. Ps. I plan on modernizing it to more of 10's style as an alternate theme later on.

Chasbo
Reply #1 Monday, May 25, 2020 9:28 AM

This is the 3rd WB like this lately. There's one by Don5318 and 2of3. They are all good. There's even one in the latest version of Curtains.

neone6
Reply #2 Monday, May 25, 2020 9:55 AM

Chasbo

This is the 3rd WB like this lately.
Thank god! Now I don't have to try n make one

2of3
Reply #3 Monday, May 25, 2020 10:41 AM

I like this! You should definitely check out the other versions too and do a modern example...... unless you think I covered it in Luna 2020......

neone6

Thank god! Now I don't have to try n make one
'Sif buddy!

LightStar
Reply #4 Monday, May 25, 2020 10:50 AM

Good to see another skinner doing WB's, looks like you've done a great job so far!

SamEVO
Reply #5 Monday, May 25, 2020 2:15 PM

and we all wanted to get away from Luna back then. it was too "Fisher-Price"y. most folks hated it and now we're using it for nostalgia reasons and liking it. verrrrrry interesting.

2of3
Reply #6 Monday, May 25, 2020 3:52 PM

SamEVO

And we all wanted to get away from Luna back then. it was too "Fisher-Price"y. most folks hated it and now we're using it for nostalgia reasons and liking it. verrrrrry interesting.

I know! I think enough time has passed to give people nostalgia.

Chasbo
Reply #7 Monday, May 25, 2020 4:20 PM

Quoting SamEVO,

I know! I think enough time has passed to give people nostalgia.

The world we live in right now is not too good.

I'm about to leave the house to go to the hospital. I have to take some Covid tests to another hospital!

SimplexDesigns
Reply #8 Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:27 AM

Unfortunately my m.2 died on me. Luckily I have a backup of the theme before I made the silver version. Wont be able to work on it until Thursday. Had to order a new m.2 drive...

2of3
Reply #9 Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:30 AM

Hey, you should add the Whistler Watercolor theme as a substyle. I'm sure that would be a hit

SamEVO
Reply #10 Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:18 PM

That Whistler Watercolor theme would be grand with a blue taskbar

2of3
Reply #11 Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:41 PM

SamEVO

That Whistler Watercolor theme would be grand with a blue task
Yeah, I would go that way if I were building it....I also would do the same "checker board" gradient from the titlebar in the taskbar tray area...

MatsilagiMK2
Reply #12 Friday, May 29, 2020 4:15 AM

I have 2-3 of them here and none of them have the vanilla works and fully work with Win10, so i think we should give this one a chance.
And i agree, Whistler substyle would look amazing.

SimplexDesigns
Reply #13 Friday, May 29, 2020 8:31 PM

I do also have the watercolor style working on 10.

MatsilagiMK2

And i agree, Whistler substyle would look amazing.

SimplexDesigns
Reply #14 Friday, June 26, 2020 2:10 AM

Haha yeah that why I decided to remake it so that you can enjoy it on modern day systems again   I have updated the preview to show more progress done. I need to work out the fonts now.

SamEVO

MatsilagiMK2
Reply #15 Friday, June 26, 2020 3:59 AM

Still keeping a close look on this thread! Glad to see you made progress!
Let us know of any betas for it / private or public test versions. I would love to have that on my PC.

SimplexDesigns
Reply #16 Friday, June 26, 2020 5:00 AM

MatsilagiMK2

Still keeping a close look on this thread! Glad to see you made progress!

Been tinkering with fonts, I originally made it load the Tahoma font, but it just looked all blurry and not sharp. So i set the font to load the OS font. Hopefully people wont mind that.

Bright side is I was able to make XP style power indicators for the start menu.

I do plan on a beta maybe after I finish this Blue style so that people can bug test it on various machines. I noticed that if you have a higher DPI than the normal 100% font size, it makes the taskbar fat for Windows 10 and super skinny for 7/8 when I set the XP taskbar button sizes.

2of3
Reply #17 Friday, June 26, 2020 6:41 AM

SimplexDesigns

Segoe UI (default OS font) is also a good choice although that was first used in Vista.

SimplexDesigns
Reply #18 Sunday, June 28, 2020 4:08 AM

Metallic style added, onto Olive Style.

2of3
Reply #19 Sunday, June 28, 2020 7:24 AM

To me this totally authentic. Great job on this! I like what you showed earlier about the xp style logoff button though. It would be cool if you could get something like this to work:

SimplexDesigns
Reply #20 Sunday, June 28, 2020 8:16 AM

Yeah I wish I could do that, but there are no settings for me to set it up like that. In Skin Studio, I have those sections wiped so that it defaults to the sp_button bitmaps in the windowblinds style. Downside to using those is that when you use a dpi scale of 125% or more, they become messed up. So I reverted back to using the ones allowed in Skin Studio. Also adjusted the start button to use a lower case "s". Did not notice that in xp it was lowercase. haha