Staying sane in the lockdown

Thursday, March 26, 2020 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Community

Trying to stay sane in pretty much of a total lockdown isn't easy.

So, I ran across this post with lots of free stuff at reviewgeek.com:

If you have any good sites to add, please jump in!

LightStar
Reply #1 Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:02 AM

I've lived alone for the last 10 years, nothing new for me.

sydneysiders
Reply #2 Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:16 AM

LightStar

I've lived alone for the last 10 years, nothing new for me.

you've been a trendsetting 'self isolator' and didn't know it....

LightStar
Reply #3 Thursday, March 26, 2020 2:20 PM

sydneysiders

Quoting LightStar,

I've lived alone for the last 10 years, nothing new for me.

you've been a trendsetting 'self isolator' and didn't know it....

Hi Syd!

Yup!

Reply #4 Thursday, March 26, 2020 2:48 PM

Ha! I'm 6 feet from my computer. Hardware distancing.

starkers
Reply #5 Thursday, March 26, 2020 4:52 PM

Doc, I was insane before the lockdown, and NOW you post stuff to help prevent it.

Seriously, though, thanks for the link.  I may have enough stuff to keep me busy for a while, but who knows when this lockdown across the globe will end?  I took a quick look at the link and saw some stuff of interest, so thanks again and stay safe and well.

RedneckDude
Reply #6 Thursday, March 26, 2020 9:18 PM

starkers

I was about to say, don't ya have to have been sane to begin with?

starkers
Reply #7 Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:23 PM

Dad used to say that insanity runs in the family.... but when it got to me it galloped.

Chasbo
Reply #8 Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:49 PM

I'm not locked down. I travel to a hospital every day and guard the front entrance so that no can get in there. The idea is that people have to go in the emergency room entrance where they get their temperature taken and are asked a series of questions concerning their condition, if they've been out of the country, been around anyone who came from out of the country or is around someone who is sick. This in order to enter the hospital. There's signs at the front entrance directing people to go to the emergency room entrance but some people don't read or pay attention so I have to direct them to the emergency room entrance. I have a letter that I have to keep with me that states I am a essential employee so I can travel back and forth to work.

This coming Sunday I'm tasked with taking CV-19 tests to where the tests are read. It's a two and a half hour drive. I'll take a hospital van.

I do have a degree of paranoia working at the hospital. I wash my hands many times a day. Stay a good distance from other people but you never know. I suppose I could just quit. I could get by without the job but I don't for some reason. Maybe I don't want to give in to some stupid virus.

Victechnical
Reply #9 Monday, March 30, 2020 8:55 AM

Trying to stay sane in pretty much of a total lockdown isn't easy.

Thanks for the link.  "Sheltering in place" is getting a little boring, however going out is stressful too.  The situation is starting to wear on people.  Perfectly understandable of course.

LightStar
Reply #10 Monday, March 30, 2020 10:14 AM

Dcrew57
Reply #11 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 3:43 PM

LightStar

LOL Tom

starkers
Reply #12 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 7:54 PM

Hehe, that was me long before the corona virus and lockdown.....

..... then they confiscated my trash can lids cos it was setting off the alley cats and disturbing the neighbours.

Jafo
Reply #13 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:02 PM

Spoke to a mate yesterday....I designed his house....it's 80 squares [8000 sq ft in US math].

He said self isolation with him and his missus is great....can get so far away from her he'd never notice she was there...

Chasbo
Reply #14 Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:01 AM

Taking CV-19 tests down to Indy this Sunday again

LightStar
Reply #15 Thursday, April 2, 2020 2:21 PM

Just be safe Chuck!

starkers
Reply #16 Sunday, April 5, 2020 6:56 AM

What little sanity I had before this pandemic has slowly eroded away.  Being cooped up at home isn't that much of an issue for me, being I don't get out much anymore, but the one person who keeps me sane is in hospital and I'm advised not to go there to visit her due to having some underlying health issues.

Although there has been some improvement in the last day or so, Shaunna's leg is still quite infected and she may have to have surgery to clean it up and do a skin graft.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that and she can come home sooner rather than later.

If anybody else is climbing the walls, I recommend those rock climbers boots with the spikes in the toes to save slipping all the way back down again.  They mightn't be any good for dancing on the ceiling, but hey, what do I know, so maybe give it a try to break the monotony.

dunmer2007
Reply #17 Friday, January 22, 2021 4:05 PM

LightStar

I've lived alone for the last 10 years, nothing new for me.

Fellow hermit checking in...

But yeah, I have my artwork, music, content creation, and videogames to keep me occupied, so I'm all good as I've quarantined myself for decades!

starkers
Reply #18 Friday, January 22, 2021 6:27 PM

I think why some people go stir crazy in lockdown is because they're thinking of what they could be doing out there in the big world outside, rather than what they can be doing at home.  Yup, having high expectations when opportunities are limited or non-existent eventually leads to anger, frustration and boredom.  It can also lead to some people breaching lockdown restrictions and potentially putting themselves and others at risk.

Frankly, I'm quite happy to be at home.  I rarely ever get bored because I can always find something to occupy my mind... and if for some reason I start to become slightly bored, well I just switch to doing something else.