Easy Dark Mode Does Just What It Says

For W10 1803 and later.

Sunday, January 5, 2020 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

Dark mode has become popular for its eye and battery saving properties.

I get daily updates from gHacks.net. Lo and behold, three days ago I got this email from them.

The app works not just on W10 1803 and later, but also on Chrome and firefox. W10's dark mode can be accessed without this app, but it takes time, and frankly, this is easy-peasy:

"Advantages of Easy Dark Mode:

• Enables quick switching between Light and Dark display modes in Windows 10.
  • Selectable Hotkey.
  • Fully supports Google Chrome Dark Mode (from version 74).
  • Fully supports Firefox Dark Mode (from version 63).
  • Doesn’t require installation.
  • AutoStart mode can be set (it can start with the operating system).
  • Free to use.
  • Supports Windows 10 version 1803 and newer operating systems."

Screen shots of Easy Dark Mode:

easy dark mode system tray
System Tray Icon

easy dark mode menu
Main Menu

start mode
Start Mode

switch panel
Switch Panel

easy dark mode desktop icon
Desktop Icon

win10 dark light
Original Settings

Anyway, thought I'd mention this, as for me, it's a real eye saver.

Source:

Landing page:

JanOscar
Reply #1 Sunday, January 5, 2020 7:43 AM

Does absolutely nothing on my machine.

Reply #2 Sunday, January 5, 2020 8:34 AM

Yrgal

Does absolutely nothing on my machine.

What version of W10? Does the icon appear in your systray? Did it change Chrome/firefox?

Victechnical
Reply #3 Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:06 AM

I can't get it to work either.  It puts the icon in the tray when I run it, but I can't figure out how to get it to switch modes.

Reply #4 Sunday, January 5, 2020 11:36 AM

Read the article linked in gHacks, and look at the screenshots.

"Left-click on the icon and watch the magic. Exiting the program does not switch to the previous theme, you'll need to switch back manually. To revert to the light theme, click on the tray icon again. The program uses Windows 10's Dark theme setting. Experienced users maybe aware that the operating system's theme is reflected in elements such as Windows Explorer or Settings, and also works in supported applications like Firefox or Chrome."

JanOscar
Reply #5 Sunday, January 5, 2020 12:39 PM

Windows 10 Home 18363.535

The program start and reside in the system tray with all options available, but absolutely no change with Windows, Chrome or Firefox whatever I try to change. I don't really need this to work, so not spending time to find out why.

Reply #6 Sunday, January 5, 2020 2:23 PM

Yrgal, don't know why it isnt working. I'm curious and will ask on their website.

Victechnical
Reply #7 Monday, January 6, 2020 6:55 PM

Yrgal

Windows 10 Home 18363.535

Something to try would be to enable dark mode directly in Windows 10 settings and see what effect that has.

JanOscar
Reply #8 Monday, January 6, 2020 7:25 PM

Victechnical

I get dark mode.

RedneckDude
Reply #9 Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:24 PM

I ran it. On clicking it I see the settings page of Win10 goes between light and dark while clicking the icon.

However, the God Mode file Doc had me make doesn't change at all.  Maybe you can't be using a windowblind at the time?

It, for me, seems to be only an easier way to toggle the built in Windows Dark Mode. Which I wouldn't toggle, always dark.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Tuesday, January 7, 2020 12:33 PM

Not to hijack, but I posted this a while back. It allows Dark Mode in any browser that will use chrome extensions ( chrome, edge)

I use it and love it!  It is configureable and lives in the browser toolbar.