"Unclickable" margin around window borders in Win8 skin

Sunday, November 10, 2019 by beeguy | Discussion: WindowBlinds

Hello! New user of WindowBlinds here. I'm doing OK getting the hang of it, but there's one thing I can't figure out. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere already.

I'm using the Win8 skin included in WindowBlinds 10, Win8 substyle, on Windows 10 Pro. It does most of what I want, and the rest can be easily tweaked in SkinStudio. There's one behavior I can't make sense of, though, which I haven't experienced with any other skin I've tried. There seems to be a small functional margin around the borders of each window.

For example, if I have one window overlapping another... and it seems to happen with almost any kind of window, Explorer or app or what have you... and I click in the window underneath just a little outside the border of the window on top, it doesn't switch to the lower window; it acts as if I were still clicking in the top one. I have to click a little farther out beyond the border of the upper window in order to switch to the lower one.

Likewise, when using this skin, Windows 10 doesn't like me trying to expand or move a window all the way to the top of the screen, as if the window's top border is positioned a little higher than it actually appears.

I probably haven't done a great job of explaining it; it's a pretty strange behavior. If it makes any sense, though... has anyone else run into this, and/or have any idea how to fix it? It isn't a dealbreaker, but kind of annoying. Thanks much!

ALMonty
Reply #1 Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:54 PM

Yes I can confirm this. This has been mentioned before in another thread. It seems the skins that come with WB have a margin problem. If you apply the skin and drag it to the top (non maximized window) it stops or drops about 1/4 inch from the top and if you have 2 windows open you have to click about a 1/4 inch outside the top window to activate the window underneath. I'm guessing this can be adjusted with SkinStudio. Maybe someone with knowledge can explain how to adjust this. The problem is when WB gets an update the same skins will be installed over top of what you fixed and there's going to be another update when Windows does their next update.

This has to be fixed internally.

AzDude
Reply #2 Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:59 PM

Hello,

I have forwarded your report to the Stardock support team for their review and recommendations.

Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates.

We really do appreciate your feedback, thanks.

AzDude
Stardock Community Assistant

basj
Reply #3 Sunday, November 10, 2019 10:14 PM

Hello,
Sorry to hear you are having issues. I think I've discussed/explained this issue on another thread few weeks ago. Here a link to it. https://forums.stardock.com/497227. Check it out, and do let us know if you still need our assistance.

Thanks

Basj,
Stardock Community Assistant.

beeguy
Reply #4 Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:25 PM

Aha! Now that I know shadows are at fault, fixing it wasn't too difficult. In the other thread, you suggested disabling per pixel frames. That will certainly alleviate the problem, but it also removes other per pixel frame functionality like glass/transparency, and it's not necessary to take such drastic measures when you can disable just the shadows. Here's how I did it:

First, make a copy of the theme in SkinStudio to use for editing. That means the original skin will be left untouched and should hopefully avoid the overwrite issue ALMonty pointed out.

Second, in the new copy, "Edit Titlebars and WindowFrames", then "Edit per pixel frames". Then, in tree view, go to "Window frames" -> "Per Pixel" -> "Shadows".

Then, for "Shadows" and every entry below it ("Top shadow", "Left shadow", etc.) go to the Image tab and change the "Image" dropdown to "No Image defined - section may be optional".

Save the skin and apply. There it is: a copy of the Win8 skin with shadows disabled, but all the other nice per pixel stuff like glass effects still working. Now that the shadows are gone, the issue in OP no longer occurs.

It's a pity; the shadows were rather handsome. Maybe there will be a fix someday. For now, this will get the job done without affecting the overall look of the skin too much. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

basj
Reply #5 Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:50 PM

This is can be done if the theme/skin designer includes/define Shadows section. Some theme don't use shadows sections. The shadows was implemented inside the frame itself.

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

ALMonty
Reply #6 Monday, November 11, 2019 8:12 AM

One thing to remember when WB gets updated these skins will be over written. So if you changed a skin save it so you can replace with the new WB update.

I don't like the user pic so I go through and remove it in SKS and every time there's a new update I have to remove it again.

DaveRI
Reply #7 Monday, November 11, 2019 12:29 PM

ALMonty

One thing to remember when WB gets updated these skins will be over written.

Al, this takes care of that:

beeguy

This is how you do it (you have to "give it a minute" to make the copy, it's not instant):