Windows 10 copying files too slow

Thursday, October 24, 2019 by adni18 | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Damn computers!!!

First, let me start by saying that I have a very powerful machine I made a few months ago with 32 GB of memory, an AMD Ruzen 2700X processor, USB 3.1 etc. and one of the latest Windows 10 version (1903).

I have been trying for many days now to find a solution to the problem of slow copying of files on Windows 10 without any success.

I have read so many articles and implemented all the solutions without success. The Windows 10 continue to copy as slowly as possible. Max speed 1-8MB/sec (I use to have transfer rates from 80-120 MB/sec).

I had this problem before, some years ago and manage to solve it, but I don't remember how ... hmmm

I don't hope much, but who knows, maybe somebody may have a good solution for this issue.

Some of the "solutions" I have try with no success are:

Check the HDD and external media for corruption
Disable the Auto-tuning feature
Turn Off "Remote Differential Compression"
Use a different USB port
Install the latest USB drivers
Disable Drive Indexing
Disable the antivirus
Use the Disk Cleanup utility
Format the USB flash drive in the NTFS format
Change the drive’s Removal policy
Start in safe mode
Use a third-party application to copy the files (TeraCopy)
Reinstall Windows 10

You can't imagine how many thousand Windows 10 users have the same problem and ask for help on Internet...

No answers from Microsoft of course...

basj
Reply #1 Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:29 AM

Hello Niko,

I just now copy over one big files to a new drive. I get the speed around 150-160MB/s no problem. I am only running Ryzen 2600 on B450 chipset motherboard. But not really sure what is wrong on your system. I am also running Windows 10 v1903 now.

Maybe you can try bios update and see the bios setting and HDD driver?

BTW your slow speed is transfering data from HDD to HDD or to USB?

Basj

adni18
Reply #2 Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:04 AM

Hi Jazlan, thank you for the answer!

The bios is brand new, it says doesn't need any update and HDD to HDD or USB both are very slow with USB more slower.

It may be some connected hardware, I will try to disconnect everything now and re-connect them one by one to see if it is hardware problem...

basj
Reply #3 Thursday, October 24, 2019 11:28 AM

I wonder if you can start on Windows safe mode and test it there. If it working than you know there is software related issue.

adni18
Reply #4 Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:06 PM

Some of the "solutions" I have try with no success are:

Check the HDD and external media for corruption
Disable the Auto-tuning feature
Turn Off "Remote Differential Compression"
Use a different USB port
Install the latest USB drivers
Disable Drive Indexing
Disable the antivirus
Use the Disk Cleanup utility
Format the USB flash drive in the NTFS format
Change the drive’s Removal policy
Start in safe mode
Use a third-party application to copy the files (TeraCopy)
Reinstall Windows 10

As I wrote above I did this with no results my friend Jazlan.

basj
Reply #5 Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:15 PM

Ah miss that. . Hardware than..

adni18
Reply #6 Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:16 PM

I have news, strange things happen in the wonderful world of a PC!

As I said I disconnected all external hardware and all Motherboard cards and the slow copy became fast copy starting from 650MB /sec and ends to 120-140 MB/sec.

The strange thing is that I have reconnected everything and the speed it is still very fast, starts with 650MB /sec and ends to 120-140 MB/sec

Well problem is solved and I don't know what the problem was... Isn't it strange?

basj
Reply #7 Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:19 PM

BigDogBigFeet
Reply #8 Thursday, October 24, 2019 12:25 PM

More than likely there was some sort of driver issue.  Disconnecting hardware causes windows to drop the driver for the disconnected hardware.

Re-connecting the hardware causes windows to re-load the drivers.

When windows cannot find the manufacturer's driver for a new hardware it will load a windows generic driver instead and that can cause performance problems.

Think of having a high-end graphics card installed but only a windows generic graphics driver installed for it (you would lose many of the features of your graphics card) and that's basically what was happening only for a different hardware.

RedneckDude
Reply #9 Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:00 PM

adni18

I can't tell you how many PC issues I have repaired by simply reseating cables/drives/cards.

Good news Nikos!!

adni18
Reply #10 Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:20 PM

BigDogBigFeet

Re-connecting the hardware causes windows to re-load the drivers.

This wasn't the case, because all parts are new and the drivers updated, no generic drivers at all.

But it is a good advice BDBF! Thank you!

adni18
Reply #11 Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:23 PM

RedneckDude

Quoting adni18,

Good news Nikos!!

Yes, you are right Jim, thanks

BigDogBigFeet
Reply #12 Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:22 PM

For some reason that is still my thinking mostly because of prior experiences with Windows 10.

At work we use card reader devices.  Windows 10 will lose the device driver during the course of the day and the devices stop working correctly.  The solution for us is to unplug the USB card reader wait a second or 2 then plug it back in which causes Windows 10 to re-attach the card reader and re-load the device driver.  But yes, I realize that is my own experience.

Although it seems like your issue was hardware related because of unplugging and re-attaching, it is most likely some type of software issue.

Anyway I'm glad it is working for you.

adni18
Reply #13 Friday, October 25, 2019 12:36 AM

BigDogBigFeet

Anyway I'm glad it is working for you.

Thanks BDBF!