Issues with some blinds.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 by JuniorCrooks | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Seeing how some skinners are not very active here anymore I thought that I would start a thread were you can ask questions concerning problems or bugs with certain skins.
I will begin by asking if anyone knows why the top part of a windowblind would display properly in Windows 7 but not Windows 10?
For example, I just installed Office and the ribbon on the start menu is not displaying in Windows 10 but it works fine in Windows 7. See screenshot.

RedneckDude
Reply #1 Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:34 PM

Ken, I'm going to guess it's a setting in Start10, because the Office skin has the ribbon for me on Windows 10.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #2 Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:40 PM

RedneckDude

I am not sure what setting that would be, the only thing I change in Start 10 is I enable "show icons split into" 2 columns but even with that unchecked and the Start menu in normal mode I still do not have the ribbon.

basj
Reply #3 Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:41 PM

Well it show up on mine.

Maybe something to do with your Start10 setting.

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:24 PM

Maybe reinstall the skin?

basj
Reply #5 Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:26 PM

Look like that 3rd layer after the base layer not showing up.

Would like to suggest try the purge and reinstall steps : https://forums.stardock.com/486023/windowblinds-support-faq#reinstalling

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #6 Friday, September 27, 2019 2:02 AM

I finally got it working but I had to take some drastic measures, namely a complete OS restore using my AMOEI Onekey Recovery backup.

The purge did nothing and I found out that purging left a lot of registry entries which I manually deleted but it still did not resolve the issue. I even uninstalled Start 10 thinking maybe that was the problem. I did sfc/scannow and that did not fix it either. I am left not knowing what the problem was, must have been some system setting change that I am not aware of but restoring with my backup image did the trick.

basj
Reply #7 Friday, September 27, 2019 2:07 AM

Great, glad you get it working again.

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Friday, September 27, 2019 1:32 PM

JuniorCrooks

I keep saying the purge don't work, I don't know why they keep pushing it. I ran it for DeskScapes and it didn't even uninstall DeskScapes.

JanOscar
Reply #9 Friday, September 27, 2019 4:38 PM

RedneckDude

What he said.

basj
Reply #10 Friday, September 27, 2019 8:25 PM

Well, I have to disagree. Almost everyday I have help client issue solved with Purge and reinstall. And I think it also the same for Mike and Sean.

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #11 Friday, September 27, 2019 8:56 PM

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

I am glad that you have been able to help people, however, I am willing to bet that the purge was not what fixed the majority of the problems, I cannot see how it could when I did it 3 times and every time it left a lot of registry entries and did not even delete the windowsblind folders in both programs and the public users locations. Perhaps that is not necessary but I would think that a purge is suppose to clean all traces of windowblinds from the system unless I am just misunderstanding what a purge is.
I think for some people, perhaps for even the majority with issues,  just uninstalling windowsblinds and reinstalling fixed their problem or it was something else. Maybe they had a bad install and the second time around did the trick.
I am no computer genius though and just making assumptions based on my own experience.

basj
Reply #12 Friday, September 27, 2019 9:55 PM

Well, when I started doing this last year, I, too have same doubt about P&I steps. But, after few months it tend to help more people quickly. And it is most suggested steps. Of course it will not solve everyone problem. At least we than know that it is not the product base issue. We can than move on to compatibility issues or system issue. Most clients really don't like if we suggest it's their system issues and do system check, clean or reinstall.

Thanks

Basj

Stardock Community Assistant.

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Friday, September 27, 2019 9:57 PM

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.
Understood. I can only go by my experience. At least 4 times, varying programs, you guys told me to purge. Each and every time it failed to work.  Maybe others have better luck.  As I said, I purged DeskScapes, and DeskScapes still ran, was still in my context menu, etc.  Purge failed to purge it.

scorpNZ
Reply #14 Friday, September 27, 2019 10:08 PM

Revo uninstaller either as a .exe or to avoid installing yet more software there's a portable version. It can be used to install software as well & it will track what goes where. It will find all entries whether it tracks or not inc .dll's, it works surprisingly well

edit: there is a ltd function free portable version.