Windows weather app on 8.1

Friday, July 19, 2019 by ALMonty | Discussion: Personal Computing

My laptop is running 8.1 and recently with all this hot weather in my area I went to use the Windows weather app and it told me that the app is currently unavailable. I know some the skinners have a triple boot, I would like to know if it's the same for everyone using 8.1. Works fine on 10 did they just remove it from 8? And where did they move?

basj
Reply #1 Friday, July 19, 2019 10:06 PM

Hello,

I have Win8.1 VM setups. And I try to get from the Store "Weather now 8.1" (hope this is the one you are referring to) but I just get "Store not working try again later" notice. But default Weather that come installed with Win8.1 still working.

Edit to add

I just realize you are referring to the "MSN Weather" that come with Win8.1. Its working just fine on my VM system.

Basj
Stardock Community Assistant.

ALMonty
Reply #2 Friday, July 19, 2019 10:44 PM

Yes I was referring to the MSN app. Strange it's not working. I was going to see if I could download it again but the store say unavailable.

Thanks my friend.

don5318
Reply #3 Friday, July 19, 2019 11:00 PM

ALMonty

Thanks my friend.

Well, I run Win 8.1 and I don't have it anymore either, this is what I get:

ALMonty
Reply #4 Friday, July 19, 2019 11:32 PM

So if they discontinued it why put "We've moved"? Was it that important they had to remove it from 8?

basj
Reply #5 Saturday, July 20, 2019 12:08 AM

I just reboot my VM Win8.1 and when I try Weather again. I get the same notice as what you posted above. It was fine before the reboot. Get full weekly report from my area. etc etc.

That is strange.

SkyGuy44
Reply #6 Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:03 AM

I have the regular MSN weather app for 8.1 too and if I try to open it, it will try to load but just freezes up in the end.

I can dual boot to a Windows 8.0 installation on my computer and if I try to open the weather app there (same default app), nothing will happen (it doesn't even try to load). It's just a tile on my start menu now.

Hmm...

ALMonty
Reply #7 Thursday, July 25, 2019 8:59 AM

I think they discontinued support on the app. I deleted it to reinstall it again and it's not in the store. I use other apps for weather, but I liked this one it gave you world wide weather.

Uvah
Reply #8 Thursday, July 25, 2019 9:44 AM

I use adni18's weather app. It has never had a bleep nor bloop nor anything else since I installed it months ago. What ever app it uses it works and that all I need.

don5318
Reply #9 Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:11 AM

I'm currently using Rainmeter, and VCloudsWeather2, so far I like it real well, you can have 1 day, up to 9 day forcasts, Horiziontal, or Vertical image.

Chasbo
Reply #10 Friday, July 26, 2019 7:21 AM

I use XWidget. WC seems to be anti-XWidget as I know of only one other person at WC who uses it. That's not the only reason I say that. I wonder other than Junior Crooks and myself who else who is a WC member uses XWidget.  XWidget is good - period. End of story. I recommend trying XWidget.

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Friday, July 26, 2019 4:37 PM

I am toying with the idea, Chuck. But if I used it, I'd want to skin it, and if I skinned it, I'd want to upload here, because WC is the only site that I upload to.

I did use XWidget a long time ago. Have been thinking about it again.

That said, i am thinking about removing all my weather gadgets that no longer function from WC.

JcRabbit
Reply #12 Sunday, July 28, 2019 12:08 PM

Hmmm... MS retiring the MSN Weather app is not a good sign. Luckily I just tried it here on Nexus/Winstep Xtreme and the MSN feed itself is still working. Let's see for how long.

The Winstep weather module/widget relies on more than one feed so it doesn't stop working altogether if one feed goes down (initially NOAA, Weather.com, MSN, Yahoo and Google), but all the existing weather feeds are slowly being 'retired'.

First it was the Google weather feed (killed off completely a couple of years ago) then Yahoo recently put their feed behind AUTH authentication (they gave me a key, but implementing AUTH authentication is not trivial and would probably require a third party DLL so, at least for now, no Yahoo feed either).

That leaves NOAA which has no forecast and is only available for locations that have an airport/METAR code, Weather.com, and MSN. The idea is to have a backup feed to give me time to fix things in the background in case the main provider (usually weather.com) goes down or makes changes to the protocol - but I am slowly running out of those backup feeds too.

Even having backup feeds is no guarantee - for instance, NOAA recently put their feed behind HTTPS instead of HTTP, and this made their feed fail in such a way that it did not trigger the Winstep application to use the backup feed for current weather conditions causing the current temperature to always appear as N/A. Fixed now, of course.

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Sunday, July 28, 2019 1:37 PM

JcRabbit

Well, I tried on my 8.1 VM, no joy.  Yet it still works on 10.  Odd.

Chasbo
Reply #14 Sunday, July 28, 2019 6:31 PM

RedneckDude

I did use XWidget a long time ago. Have been thinking about it again.

What I do and I did this with Rainys, DX Weather Widgets and now Xwidget. I admit that I use what others have done as a base but then I take the files from the Windowblind I am making the widget for and make the widget. Not very original I admit. Sometimes you have to really tweak the graphics to get a decent quality image. By tweak I mean mainly resizing. Getting things to line up can be a challenge. There are tricks.

As far as uploading to WC goes that's pretty much at a standstill for me right now other than screenshots. I suppose I could make Rainys but the ones I make are with the old version of Rainleander.

I also make tabbed docks. Object Dock and DesktopX aren't supported by Stardock anymore!

I use XWidget widgets for myself. I'm happy with that.

JcRabbit
Reply #15 Monday, July 29, 2019 3:05 AM

Chasbo

If it's any consolation, the Shelves, Grid Stacks and Drawers in Winstep applications will be compatible with ObjectDock tabbed dock themes coming next release (they were already compatible with dock skins, just not tabbed docks), so you will be able to use OD themes you make directly.

adni18
Reply #16 Monday, July 29, 2019 7:54 AM

Check these weather skins: https://www.adni18.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=68
You may find something useful

ALMonty
Reply #17 Monday, July 29, 2019 10:39 AM

On my laptop I have XWidget, Rainmeter, Windows Sidebar And Winstep which all have a weather app.  The one that I use the most is the Windows sidebar and strangely enough it still works and uses AccuWeather. I liked the MSN app because I could put the link on my taskbar and it had a map which is nice. It's not really a big deal I just thought it was corrupted. It works on my Win 10 so I'm happy for that.

RedneckDude
Reply #18 Monday, July 29, 2019 11:47 AM

adni18

You may find something useful

RedneckDude
Reply #19 Monday, July 29, 2019 11:51 AM

Sorry, Nikos. I just tried all 4 of yours with no luck.

don5318
Reply #20 Monday, July 29, 2019 11:58 AM

RedneckDude

Sorry, Nikos. I just tried all 4 of yours with no luck.

Ditto here....