The nine safest sites to download free Windows software

Saturday, October 27, 2018 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

I was mousing around and found the article linked above.

Hope it helps...

Gaspershooters
Reply #1 Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:57 AM

Right,but those sites are not going to stop people installing dubious software when they saw fancy features and claims are offering.

Uvah
Reply #2 Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:45 PM

Click on the link like I did and you'd discover it requires you to disable your adblocker. Nope.

Daiwa
Reply #3 Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:19 PM

Not the case here for some reason.  Works fine with adblocker on.

JcRabbit
Reply #4 Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:30 PM

To think Cnet's Download.com used to be THE site to go to download anything and everything. Now it's not even part of that list.

Ah, how difficult it is and how long it takes to build a reputation and how easily and quickly it can be destroyed (and, in this particular case, rightly so!)

Gaspershooters
Reply #5 Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:25 PM

Daiwa

Not the case here for some reason.  Works fine with adblocker on.

His fancy system enhanced software are too strong to defend his browser go to there.

Uvah
Reply #6 Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:42 PM

Gaspershooters

Jealous?

starkers
Reply #7 Saturday, October 27, 2018 10:00 PM

I generally go to majorgeeks; however, I have visited filehippo, softpedia and snapfiles via links when something of interest comes up.

JcRabbit

I used to go there for software files, but when they started bundling other stuff with them I ceased going there.

admiralWillyWilber
Reply #8 Saturday, October 27, 2018 10:23 PM

Well majorgeeks has never let me down. On a different site I downloaded something called norton free antivirus it was a virus.

JcRabbit
Reply #9 Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:34 AM

admiralWillyWilber

LOL. You have to admit it's kind of ironic, ehehe

starkers
Reply #10 Sunday, October 28, 2018 1:57 AM

Hehe, I always thought of Norton AV as a virus.... a piece of malware, if you will.

Don't know what it's like these days, haven't used it since 2005 or so, but when I did use it there were endless issues with false positives, the blocking of various MS/Windows services and using up more than a lion's share of system resources.  In the end I swapped it out for Avast Free AV, but now I wouldn't use that, either.  These days I use the registered version of Trend Micro, which thus far I've had no issues with.

JcRabbit
Reply #11 Sunday, October 28, 2018 2:15 AM

For me the best AV software ever has been, without a doubt, ESET Smart Security.

I got in touch with them back in 2006 (so a few years ago lol) as a software developer to report a Nod32 false positive on Winstep applications and they immediately invited me to become part of their beta testers group (talk about good customer service lol).

I have been running ESET AV software ever since then and I only have GREAT things to say about it, absolutely love the thing.

NEVER caused me problems (doesn't do really stupid stuff like silently blocking access to data under Public Documents just because a legit application is writing to a folder it's supposed to be able to write to, like BitDefender does with its wacko anti-ransomware pseudo-protection), very few false positives if indeed any, automatically blocks access to dubious web sites (and lets me know that is doing so and why), it's spam filter is one of the best in the industry, the Firewall has both automatic and interactive modes, and I could go on and on and on.

Uvah
Reply #12 Monday, October 29, 2018 9:35 AM

Previous post by mawwan all gone. Safe to come out now.