How do I get a list of my wbas into EXCEL?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Monday, September 17, 2018 by ronshillington@comcast.net | Discussion: Skinning

I have tried and tried. Even tried worming it out of the Random list.

Thanks for any help!

AzDude
Reply #1 Monday, September 17, 2018 11:39 AM

Hello,

I have forwarded your report to the Stardock support team for their review and recommendations.

Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates.

We really do appreciate your feedback, thanks.

AzDude
Stardock Community Assistant

AzDude
Reply #2 Monday, September 17, 2018 12:10 PM

Hello,

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Just to be clear at my end can you explain what ( wbas ) is

and what you are trying that isn't working .

and what versions of windows and excel are you running.

This info is needed to better help you .

AzDude
Stardock Community Assistant

LightStar
Reply #3 Monday, September 17, 2018 10:58 PM

He just wants to keep a list of all his Windowblinds skins (.wba extension) Mike. He would just have to enter each of them manually in Excel by looking at his list of skins in Windowblinds. For instance (since they are in alphabetical order in Windowblinds), as examples... Diamond.wba, Echo.wba, Eva.wba ... etc. I don't know what the advantage of putting them in Excel is though, just make a list of skins in Microsoft Word, or even NotePad.

ronshillington@comcast.net
Reply #4 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:18 AM

Thanks LightStar! That's it exactly.

I use Excel because I also grade them both with Wincustomize and my own grades. I also have a column for Win Version supported, etc. Lot's lots of data points.

I guess there is a way to make Word (but not Notepad) do that with "Tables", but Excel makes it soooo easy.

BTW, guess who's Blinds fill the Top Tier?!?!?!?

I am going to sound like I don't like Windowblinds/Stardock but that is NOT the case. Been a loyal customer since pretty near Day One!

It just seems those folks had an incredible concept that has keep them afloat for many years. They just don't seem to care a whit about ease of use and flexibility. All of the operations that configure, extend, coordinate the Windowblinds program are stilted, confusing, and down right clunky. And, DON'T GET ME STARTED about documentation!!!

Anywhoooooo.... still hoping someone has a trick to get names out off Windowblinds easily...cuz Stardock sure doesn't.... that I can see.

Am I off the mark here John?

LightStar
Reply #5 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:03 AM

OK, I understand what you are trying to do, but there is no way to import the .wba's you have into Excel, each one would have to be entered manually. Oh, and who's John?

Tom

DaveRI
Reply #6 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:25 PM

You could use the Command Prompt to print the WB skins directory to a text file if you like.  Use the fixed column option in Excel when importing.  You'd have to clean it up (delete some unwanted listings) but shouldn't be too difficult.  Creates a text file named "WBList.txt" in the WindowBlinds directory:

c:

cd c:\users\public\documents\stardock\windowblinds

dir >WBList.txt

ronshillington@comcast.net
Reply #7 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:34 PM

Sorry Tom....put the wrong name with the wrong monicer! Thanks for the straight forward answer.

DaveRI
Reply #8 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:14 PM

Output of Reply 6.  A little sorting and deleting and you're good to go.:

ronshillington@comcast.net
Reply #9 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:09 PM

WOW! Thank you bunches DaveR1!!!!

This was super and you took the time to make it clear. Bravo!!

DaveRI
Reply #10 Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:30 PM

That's a really handy little trick to know.  You can also use the /s and /b switches (dir /s  /b >Filename.txt) to get the lists of files within subdirectories - which you certainly do not want to do here.  That's great for music listings for example, if you have an annoying tendency to remember song titles but forget who did them.  It's a different output layout but you can still sort through it pretty easily.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #11 Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:28 AM

DaveRI

I am putting it to use for my audio files. There is a bit of editing but it sure beats manually typing every entry.

DaveRI
Reply #12 Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:58 AM

Are you still using Foobar?  You can configure its library to pull/sort by title, if that's all you're wanting to do.  At least I think I had to build it, it was a while ago.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #13 Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:17 AM

DaveRI

I do still use foobar and I am aware that you can configure the library to fetch in various ways. I was not trying to do that as I am happy with the default script, I was just experimenting with the info that you gave to starbucksphreaq, something I did not know and it is always good to learn. Thanks for the info Dave.

DaveRI
Reply #14 Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:47 AM

Ah, good.  I thought "No, he's not going through all that when we could just copy/paste a line or two here."