Chrome's going to need a ramstick all for itself...

Newest upgrade will use 13% more RAM

Sunday, July 15, 2018 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

Was cruising the net and found this unhappy piece of news...Chrome's always been a RAM pig, but this? Ridiculous.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/07/14/google-chrome-ram-memory-consumption-spectre-security-upgrade-windows-mac-linux-chromeos/#3cb8f1e17777

Uvah
Reply #1 Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:58 PM

13% more? I use that and I'll need to rename my lappy slo mo.

LightStar
Reply #2 Sunday, July 15, 2018 8:05 PM

Glad I have 24GB's of RAM!

starkers
Reply #3 Monday, July 16, 2018 6:24 AM

I've been saying all along that Chrome is a CPU and RAM hog.... that its so-called speed isn't that it is any a better browser, but rather that it eats up more system resources to appear faster.  Truth is, it is no faster or better than any other browser, and now it is even more of a system hog than before.

But each to his own, I suppose.

kona0197
Reply #4 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 2:25 PM

I've been using Chrome for years. I like the fact that my bookmarks are synced on all the platforms I use. I never have more than 6 tabs open so it's not too bad, seems to use 1.2 GB memory at the most, usually half that. Firefox isn't much faster and tries to do too many things I do not need. I think Edge is the fastest on my system buut I don't use it for anything but job searches and sites that only work with IE.

AzDude
Reply #5 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 2:28 PM

I use Chrome only and with all I do I never use much more than 30% of my Ram ..

Phoon
Reply #6 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:51 PM

Same Pages open in each browser.

Phoon
Reply #7 Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:08 PM

kona0197

I like the fact that my bookmarks are synced on all the platforms I use.

Firefox and Edge do the same thing. They all require you to sign in to a common account to use that functionality.

kona0197
Reply #8 Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:35 PM

Yeah but I don't use Firefox or Edge on my Android smart phone and never will.

gevansmd
Reply #9 Sunday, July 22, 2018 8:11 PM

My PC was slow a couple of days ago.  Task manager showed Chrome had 39 processes running with only 4 open tabs!

starkers
Reply #10 Sunday, July 22, 2018 10:45 PM

gevansmd

That's it!  Chrome is a resource hog... and the more tabs you have open the more of a hog it becomes.

My sister got Chrome free with Ccleaner [like it's paid for anywhere else] and she spouted about how fast it was, etc.  I told her that was fine... until she had a few tabs open and wanted to do some of the digital scrapbooking she's into.

Sure enough, a few days later I get the call about Digital Image Pro running slow as a wet week and her PC running like a hairy goat [slow as].  I told her to open task manager to see what processes were running, and sure enough, Chrome was at the top of the list with over 70.  She had 9 tabs open in Chrome, one of them streaming music from Google and using a large amount of Ram and CPU.

I told her to close Chrome and see how Digital Image Pro ran after that.  Sure enough, it ran as it had always done for her in the past... fast and without freeze up issues.  Agter that she went back to Firefox and has had no such issues since.

Nope, Chrome isn't for me.