I just had a WTF moment

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 by Uvah | Discussion: Personal Computing

An hour after I booted my laptop it decides to shut down. Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. Ok, no problem. I open up MalwareBytes and start a full scan. Two minutes into the scan and my Laptop does it again. WTF #1. I wait for it to boot up and open MalwareBytes again. And again it shuts down two minutes into the scan. WTF #2. Eff this, I open up Comodo. Update the signatures then did a full scan now in progress. My laptop has not shut down. Clearly the version of MalwareBytes (the freebie) that I have got stomped on. I refuse to give it up so I'm gonna do this. Since I've already canceled my sub with Photoshop, I rarely used it, I'll use those bucks for the paid version of MalwareBytes. Could Windows latest foray into updates cause this? Maybe. I have read that some have had this problem. That it only happened with MalwareBytes is of some concern I think.

Best regards,

And all that good stuff.

Uvah
Reply #1 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:41 PM

Update:

Comodo fixed a problem with the firewall, good to go. Comodo's scan found not much. So I opened MalwareBytes again thinking the problem was solved. Nope and the culprit is MBam swiss army knife.exe. I put spaces to make it easier to read. I uninstalled MalwareBytes freebie and installed the trial version of the premium version. The scan completed without a problem. However, MBAM, like it did the last time, flagged iobit ASC and Uninstaller. I've told it to ignore iobit. During the scan 26 PUPs were found. By ignoring iobit that number was reduced to 11. A couple of them had to do with Internet Explore IE, not Edge but IE. The rest were left over items in the registry from two programs I tried but turned out to be crap. One was a video downloader, not the Youtube one either but one I replaced it with. Now I use 4kVideo downloader which is much more efficient and passed Comodo's scrutiny, which btw Youtube failed. One year of the premium version is 40 bucks. That works out to about $3.33 a month. Not too shabby.

starkers
Reply #2 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:45 PM

Yeah, I'm looking to get the premium version of Malwarebytes.  Was going to do it today, but finances are a bit tight since Louis left... everything is now a third share instead of a quarter.  That will improve when my son gets back to work, which is dependent on getting a car.  Hopefully that's not too much longer as one is in the pipeline.

Anyhow, I have a 14 day free trial, so I'll stick with it until next fortnight.

alaknebs
Reply #3 Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:10 AM

there is no difference between malwarebytes freebie and premium/trial of the same version number.. (i don't mean the functions), it's the same installer that installs the same files. freebie is basically premium disabled. i'm guessing the one you installed is a newer version that fixed whatever problems or even reinstallation of same version did the job.

not sure what flavour of comodo you have but having 2 real time protection on at the same time is bad, just in case you don't know.

Jafo
Reply #4 Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:26 AM

alaknebs

Yep. Definitely stick with one only realtime scanner.

There are other proggies with specific functionality which won't affect them...such as 'Ransomfree', and manual scanners usually aren't a problem, but realtime ones can have conflicts.

Uvah
Reply #5 Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:00 PM

Oops! Then maybe the freebie version got borked somehow considering the .exe at fault is present in both.

alaknebs
Reply #6 Friday, June 1, 2018 8:18 AM

it could have been an old version vs new version thing may be? or i don't know, your installed version got borked somehow

admiralWillyWilber
Reply #7 Friday, June 1, 2018 10:19 AM

Yeah from reading this you shouldnt running iobit, and malwarebytes. If this is happening, maybe you should check to make defender is off. The only thing to remember is somtimes some programs run windows firewall. Agree with the one realtime scanner thing.

Uvah
Reply #8 Friday, June 1, 2018 5:18 PM

Well, I did install the new version of MalwareBytes and where it says exclusions added both the ASC folder and the exe. It was supposed to ignore ASC but it didn't. I tried updating ASC to the latest version and MalwareBytes deleted it. Funny how Comodo has no problem with it but MBAM always did, not the first time this happened. So in the meantime I uninstalled MBAM until it can be sorted out.

admiralWillyWilber
Reply #9 Friday, June 1, 2018 6:10 PM

Im confused the asc, and exe are two files you need to search through. Mater of fact if you exclude these two files then you could exclude an infinate number of viruses. You need to know the name of the files you are excluding.

Publius of NV
Reply #10 Friday, June 1, 2018 7:31 PM

Last year there were a flurry of reports that MalwareBytes was reporting false positives, and the local (Utah and Nevada) company that made my laptop recommended that it be replaced by Super Anti-Spyware.  I had been using MalwareBytes up to that point and have been using Super Anti-Spyware since and have had no problems with either.  My point is simply that there is an alternative to look into.  I have no connection with either company.

starkers
Reply #11 Friday, June 1, 2018 8:51 PM

I've had Malwarebytes come up with a heap of false positives, mostly to do with Advanced System Care.  I too did an exclusion on all ASC stuff, but Malwarebytes keeps listing them as PUPs.  I just ignore those now and look for and quarantine items that are malware and stuff I neither want or need.  Yeah, the false positives are annoying, but better those than using a lesser scanner that misses those nasty files we'd rather not get.

Uvah
Reply #12 Saturday, June 2, 2018 1:11 PM

Yup and I discovered a faulty driver caused one of those instances. Last time it happened I checked the event viewer and found out something, don't remember what, was running continuously. Traced it back to an ATI Radeon driver. So over to AMD's website I go and download the latest version. So far so good.