And Google/Nest wants AI on all your gadgets...

Thursday, February 8, 2018 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Personal Computing

Hey folks...saw this and am now sitting opposite the TV armed to the teeth, and stationed a sentry on the washer-dryer.

Google and Nest are now reuniting and pushing for AI on all your gadgets. Good luck with that...soon we'll all be "The Truman Show".

Anyway, I've moved to Israel and have developed an arthritis so, soon I'll be starting a biologic treatment for it...hope it works.

Thanks for the note, Daiwa...it was much appreciated.

Sources:

Hankers
Reply #1 Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:29 AM

Nice to see you posting again.

Hope your treatment helps with the arthritis.

LightStar
Reply #2 Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:44 AM

Sorry to hear about the arthritis Doc, it is no fun I know from personal experience. Hope the treatment(s) go well!

teddybearcholla
Reply #3 Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:02 AM

Great to see you posting again, Doc!  Sorry to hear about the arthritis...hope the treatment goes well!

No smart tv here, no Alexa or google thingy.  Fridge does not talk, nor do the washer and dryer... thank goodness!

DaveBax
Reply #4 Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:21 AM

I asked Jafo about where you were a month ago. Glad to hear you are doing as good as you can.

Reply #5 Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:32 AM

Thanks, folks.

One possible side effect is gills, I hear.

Sounds fishy to me.

Daiwa
Reply #6 Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:16 AM

Welcome back, Doc.  Feel better ASAP.

Uvah
Reply #7 Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:09 PM

My gadgets are so dumb they couldn't find their way if you showed them. Any AI in mine would be seriously challenged. Anyway...good to see you posting again Doc. Hope all goes well and you're back keeping us all up to date on all the shenanigans going on.

wizisi2k
Reply #8 Friday, February 9, 2018 2:35 AM

hmmmmmmm lesse what talks in this house: I have a alexia speaker, there's a fire HD 10 tablet used for reading, a roku, smartphones for work/personal, and dumb TV's all around.  I have siri off (rep at the store turned siri off on my phone when I got it), alexia speaker is muted and can be unplugged easily.  My PC has cortana disabled so I dunno if that counts (all privacy settings to transmit data are off save OS crash reports.  Skype is set to allow mic access as family uses it).  The only devices that would have the horsepower to power a smart AI are my PC with its 1080 ti GPU and possibly my iphone 7+-the fire HD 10 is a maybe with its quad-core CPU but I doubt it.  The other iphone in the house is a company 5c which I think is either outta Apple support or at EOL support.

starkers
Reply #9 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:28 PM

Hey Doc, tis good to see you back on the forums posting again.

As for AI on all my gadgets, well I'll be dumbing down on all my home appliances so there's no 'smarts' to influence or take over. Yup, looks like we're out with the automatic washer and back to the old washboard.... and the dryer 'll have to go for a simple old clothes line.

Nah, seriously, I think technology has gone too far and it's not created with the end users best interests in mind.  No, we as end users are pawns in a game of which corporation can get the most of our money.... by fair means or not, and the less I have to do with it the better.

I do have a smart TV that's powered by Google, but it's not connected to the internet... never got around to it after the move, and now I don't think I'll bother.  Never trusted Google, never will.

I hope the treatment for your arthritis works, Doc, I know only too well what it's like and wouldn't wish it on anybody.  Try fish oil capsules, it helps with mine.

AzDude
Reply #10 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:41 PM

Yea , I wondered where you were too

starkers
Reply #11 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:30 PM

Yeah, Doc moved to the Middle East.... though it's not so middle anymore.  What with the internet and high speed jet travel, it's just West of here and just East of there.

Actually, I could see me living in Israel on the Mediterranean coast, in a moderate climate and just a stone's throw from rellies in the UK.

Reply #12 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:31 PM

Thanks, Mike...Mark and all you other oldtimers (hmm...rhymes with something else)...tried to keep up with events from afar but typing was out of the question.

Thanks for caring.

neone6
Reply #13 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:28 AM

Good thing moving to The Med. -Get better soon!

starkers
Reply #14 Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:40 AM

Thanks for caring.

You are most welcome, Doc.  I know what it's like to feel arthritic pain and like nobody cares.   Arthritis is a cruel and often invisible disease. It mightn't necessarily look like it from the outside, so others don't know, but on the inside the pain can be crippling and relentless.

Luckily, my hands aren't too badly affected, so I have no issues with typing or writing, although occasionally I'll get a cramp in one hand or the other.  Keeping my magnesium levels up helps with that.