Okay, This Is What I Ordered To Rebuild My Main PC: Updated

in the Coolermaster Cosmos II

Friday, December 1, 2017 by starkers | Discussion: Personal Computing

Couldn't wait 'til after Christmas, which apart from Christmas Dinner and Christmas Pud is just another day for me these days. We'll just have a quiet dinner and day here among ourselves, and maybe visit or get a visit from my sister.  Other than that it'll be fairly non-eventful, which suits me fine.

So anyway, I've been wanting to rebuild for a while now, and earlier this evening I decided to bite the bullet and order the parts I want:

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI/AMD Ryzen 1700 bundle with Wraith Spire cooler.

32Gb Kit of G-Skill RipJaws DDR$ 3000 RAM.

ASUS AMD Raedon RX 570 Strix OC 4Gb graphics card.

Sound Blaster ZxR sound card.

It all came to more than I was originally going to spend, but I poached the sound card from the Coolermaster Cosmos II rig to go into my Thermaltake Level 10 machine and decided upon the Soundblaster ZxR to replace it and up the ante with something that has more grunt.

I have all the other parts I require, PSU, SSDs, HDDs, etc.... plus a few PCIE expansion cards to add other options, such as a HD video capture card, additional SATA ports and USB 3/3.1 ports.

When the parts arrive I'll take pics and do a more comprehensive list, and once I've completed the rebuild some before and after pics.

Uvah
Reply #1 Friday, December 1, 2017 7:59 AM

Kerplunk! I can only dream of such stuff, but its all good. I love seeing these monster rigs then waiting for the inevitable BOOM when one goes into critical meltdown and blasts itself into orbit.

starkers
Reply #2 Friday, December 1, 2017 8:42 AM

Kerplunk! I can only dream of such stuff,

It was that way for me when I first looked at building computers, just the bare essentials and cheapest parts.  Thing is, I still have to choose cheaper parts when I'd like something better.... like an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900x instead of the lowly 1700.  Not that I'm complaining, the Ryzen 1700 is a better than decent CPU and it can be overclocked, maybe not to match a Threadripper, but I've read that they can come close to the Ryzen 1800x if clocked well/right.

With a bigger budget I could have done better with the RAM, like 2 x 16Gb sticks now and two more later, but at the end of the day, 4 x 8Gbs is enough for my needs and 3000Mhz is beefy enough as well.  There were more expensive motherboards as well, like the ASUS ROG Crosshair Extreme, but the Crosshair Hero VI is a very nice board and will serve me well.

willistuder
Reply #3 Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:01 PM

Does your board support quad channel RAM? If so, you might be a bit better off with the 4 sticks instead of 2, depending on your CPU having enough lanes. I have an X299 MB which has 8 RAM slots, and it turns out that RAM placement is critical; every second one instead of 4 together in my situation. (It always helps to read the manual). My builder didn't know about that, so I would have ended up with 2 channels of RAM instead of 4 if I hadn't noticed.

I'd say that 32 gigs of RAM is plenty unless you are going to be editing 4K video or 192K hz audio.

It's still a bit of fun getting a new PC. I ended up liking all the LED lighting, and bought some RGB fans to enhance the effect.

starkers
Reply #4 Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:56 PM

willistuder

Yeah, it is quad channel and the CPU supports up to 64Gb RAM.  The RAM I ordered is a 4x8Gb set of G-Skill Ripjaws4 3000Mhz.  I was going to order a 2 x 16gb set of similarly rated Corsair RAM for about $85.00 more, but I also wanted to upgrade my sound card, which already took me over budget, and the extra for the RAM would have taken me even further over.

Maybe somewhere down the track I can upgrade to a 4 x 16gb set to 64Gb, but that's an awfully big maybe as I will probably never need it.  I was going to purchase a X299 motherboard and Intel setup around the time Jafo did his new build, but other priorities got in the way and then AMD's Ryzen series came out, which impressed me.  Not only is it a more affordable build, the Ryzen 1700 is quite an over-performer according to my tech guy at the local PC store.  He has one at a stable clock of 4.4Ghz and it beats his Intel 7700K machine in most everything.... except for a few games.

willistuder

I'd say that 32 gigs of RAM is plenty unless you are going to be editing 4K video or 192Khz audio.

I have a few UHD panels but none are 4K, so I don't work a lot with 4K video.  I have edited some on my current No 2 machine, 32Gb DDR3 2400Mhz RAM and an AMD FX8350 CPU, with no issues, so I'm confident my new build with DDR4 3000Mhz will do the job if ever I need it to.

And Yeah, putting a new build together is exciting and tantalising..... not to mention challenging.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to new builds, and cable management has to be spot on and as neat as.  In fact, for me, cable management usually takes longer than all the other tasks put together.

RedneckDude
Reply #5 Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:23 AM

I am starting with this, for my new build:

12 core processor hypering to a 24 core.

Going in this case, replacing a Ryzen 5 1600    6 core hypering to 12 cores.

And a B350 MSI mobo.  16 GB DDR4, and a 4 GB AMD r9 290.

Connected to a 4K Samsung 50 inch curved screen TV/Monitor.

willistuder
Reply #6 Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:57 PM

"Connected to a 4K Samsung 50 inch curved screen TV/Monitor".

Jim, my advice for you is to get a bigger monitor--50" is a probably a bit small.

That MB has bad reviews on Newegg--lots of people have had RAM and USB problems.

Try an X299, it's the future; has USB-C and Thunderbolt (40Gb's/sec) and can use the new Intel processors; more lanes (up to 44) and more cores. You can get a "junior" X299 for about the same price.

LightStar
Reply #7 Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:59 PM

I'll just stick with my EVGA X58 MOBO with an Intel Core I7 920 at 2.67ghz, with 24GB of DDR3 RAM and dual nVidia GTX 760's with 4GB of VRAM each. Dual 27" BenQ BL2710PT monitors running at 2560x1440 resolution. Liquid cooled, in a nice Cooler Master case. Has been upgraded to four 500GB SSD's too now. Had it built 7 years ago and it suits me just fine. Don't need anything else.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:16 PM

willistuder

"Connected to a 4K Samsung 50 inch curved screen TV/Monitor".

Downside is, my processor is a Ryzen, which is AMD.

I do need the mobo you mention, but can't afford one.  The things I'm building with (above) I got thru trading.

EDIT...no, I need the MSI X99A SLI PLUS

It is Christmas, and I would humbly accept the X99A (if you feel generous.....lol), for a CPU I will be trading a 32 inch monitor for, tomorrow afternoon.  Haha, just kidding. I will get the board when I can. I'm trading the 32 inch monitor, An HP Omen, for a Xeon cpu with 12 cores hyperthreading to a 24 core.

MindlessMe
Reply #9 Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:52 PM

I'm not sure how having a Ryzen is a downside?

starkers
Reply #10 Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:29 PM

RedneckDude

I am starting with this, for my new build:

12 core processor hypering to a 24 core.

Skite!!!!        That's Aussie slang for braggart .

Hehe, not to worry, I would have had an Intel based machine with a Xeon or an i7 Extreme CPU on an ASUS x299 motherboard if other priorities hadn't arisen.... including moving, which ended up costing quite a bit all up.  I used to do all the moving myself, but I'm too old and buggered up with arthritis for that shit, so we paid a removalist to do it for us.  The upshot of it all, I was not getting my new Intel extreme rig.

Oh well, what I'm getting is pretty decent and I'll be happy with it.  However, it will likely be my last new build/rebuild.  At 64.5 I don't know that I want to be doing any more builds, what with all the bending over and heavy cases tearing away at my aching joints when I need to move them, etc.  As it is, the current Cosmos II build weighs a bloody ton [approx 96kg] and I need to lift it onto the bench to strip mostly everything out to prepare for the new mobo, CPU and RAM, etc.    Now while those won't make much difference to the weight, I've accumulated a number of other parts to boost expansion potential, and those will add a few more kilos to the overall weight.

After I'm done I have to lift the heavy bugger off the bench and carry it to where I want it..... which is why I'm thinking no more.   Well there is one other build: with the mobo; CPU; RAM and GPU from the Cosmos II going into a case I've had sitting around doing nothing for a while.  Thing is, that's a relatively easy job in comparison, thank goodness, and the end result will not be anywhere as heavy.

MindlessMe

I'm not sure how having a Ryzen is a downside?

Well it is when you have an Intel mobo.    There maybe a few Intel enthusiasts [read fanbois] who would think having a Ryzen is a downside, but I happen to like everything I've read/heard about them... hence the Ryzen 1700 I'm now awaiting.

While I've had some Intel CPUs, I've always liked AMD products, way back to the Athlons, etc.  However, if AMD was going the better compete with Intel, it needed to rethink/redesign its architecture, and the Zen architecture seems to have caught up considerably.

Hmmm, if only the Threadripper 1900x had been in my price range.

starkers
Reply #11 Monday, December 4, 2017 8:17 AM

I'm NOT fechen happy!!!!!

The company I ordered the G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3000Mhz RAM from sent me an email to say that the product is not available and that my money will be refunded... which can take up to 7 days and will delay my build while I wait for the funds to become available to order another set.

To say that I'm pissed off would be an understatement.  I searched the site for another set and found some I might have been interested in, but in going to a new page I discovered the exact same set I was told is not available for $270.00 more, so I shut the site down and will not return.

Oh how I do hate it when companies bullshit consumers with misleading promotions, etc.  Here in Australia a company has by law to sell you a product at the advertised price, whether correct or not.  The original company I made the original RAM purchase with failed to honour that law by removing the product from sale and re-posting it at a much higher price.

Anyway, I went to another site and found another 32Gb G-Skill Ripjaws 4 set, but instead it's 2800Ghz.  Oh well, it's the next best thing [unless there's 2900Mhz] and a few dollars [$8.00] less.

RedneckDude
Reply #12 Monday, December 4, 2017 8:54 AM

MindlessMe

I'm not sure how having a Ryzen is a downside?
It is if the guy suggests an Intel board, was my point.

No, a Ryzen has no downside. AMD all the way, baby!!

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Monday, December 4, 2017 9:08 AM

Here is how the Ryzen rig turned out:

3 X Samsung 32 inch curved screen monitors.  Ryzen 5 1600 12 core cpu, 16 GB ddr4, MSI Pro Series B350 mobo, SSD and 3 HDDs, 9 fans and a Wraith cooler.  4 GB AMD r9 290 GPU.

BuckStrider
Reply #14 Monday, December 4, 2017 9:25 AM

starkers

I wouldn't worry so much about RAM clock speeds. I have 32GB of DDR4 Ripjaws (2x16GB...2666Ghz) and it runs perfectly fine.

starkers
Reply #15 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:39 AM

choiminzi

Had it built 7 years ago and it suits me just fine. Don't need anything else.

My AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz Black Edition; ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero V; 32Gb G-skill DDR3 2400Ghz RAM in a Thermaltake Level 10 case is around 7 years old now, and it is still going strong overclocked a 4. 4ghz with just Thermaltake air cooling.

I didn't need anything else, either, but I've had the building bug for some time and the desire for new equipment was too hard to resist.  A couple of years later I ended up putting an i7 4970K on an ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero motherboard with 32Gb of G-Skill DDR3 2400Ghz Ram and an ASUS ROG MARS 760 Dual graphics card.  I didn't need it, but it sure felt good building a new PC in the Coolermaster Cosmos II.... the case I'll be using to build my new AMD based Ryzen 7 1700 in..  The Intel gear will be going into a Thermaltake Chaser full tower when I've finished the new build.

After that, no more building PCs for me.  I want to focus on other things financially, to take on less physically demanding projects... given the weight of these things once I'm done with them.  I'm thinking perhaps a bit of amateur photography and maybe some bird watching.... which may or may not include the feathered variety as well.

starkers
Reply #16 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:59 AM

BuckStrider

Quoting starkers,

Oh yeah, thinking about DDR4 RAM prices, I'm still wondering why it's cheaper to buy 4 x 8Gb sticks than it is to buy 2 x 16Gb sticks.  Just about every online store I've checked here in Oz is selling the 2 x 16Gb for anything up to 60 - 70 bucks more than the 4 x 8Gb option.... same brand, same clock speeds, same values.  Like why?  Is it because 16Gb sticks are new and 8Gb sticks are now 'old hat'?

I would have preferred the 2 x 16Gb option because I could have added another 2 sticks further down the track to upgrade to 64GB, but the additional cost overall was going to be in the vicinity of $150, and I'd already gone over budget.  Oh, and the Aussie taxman certainly knows how to get in for his chop and then some.  Bloke at my local PC store told me that we're paying up to 45% tax on some electronics and PC components.

Perhaps that's another reason why I'm stopping building computers.... I'm tired of paying big bucks to the greedy taxman for the privilege.

starkers
Reply #17 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:15 AM

Oh, and Jim, that's a nice looking case you're sporting there for your Ryzen Build.  Looks as if it has plenty of room for components and some left over for expansion.... PCIe and etc.  I have quite a few PCIe expansion cards to go into this new build, but with only 6 PCIe slots on the mobo, I've invested in some PCIe riser cards to add several more slots.

The trick will be placing them in the case to be neat, tidy and efficient.  The case has 10 expansion slots all up, but not all cards will need external access, and those will be placed on a metal plate I'll make up to stop them moving around inside when everything's closed up.

Jafo
Reply #18 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:15 AM

starkers

4x8 typically maxes out a mobo....2x16 leaves 2 more banks [typically]...so there's a premium driven by upgrade potential...

RedneckDude
Reply #19 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:26 AM

Funny thing is, I just talked to my local PC shop owner yesterday, and it seems it's cheaper to buy an 8 Gig stick of DDR4, than to buy 2x4 GB sticks. Therefore, he only carries 8 GB sticks.

The mobo I'm about to build on has 8 slots, 4 on either side of the cpu socket. Don't guess I need to use them all.

It'll handle 16 GB sticks x 8. I don't think I'll need 128 GB of ram.

starkers
Reply #20 Tuesday, December 5, 2017 11:46 AM

Quoting starkers,

That may be so, but for mine it's still slimy and dishonest.  Sadly, there's little to no honesty or transparency in business anymore, just dirty tricks, with respect for consumers seriously on the decline.

RedneckDude

Now the opposite is true here:  where 4 x4Gb typically maxes out a board and 2 x 8Gb typically populates only 2 slots.  No wonder consumer confidence/trust in business is on the decline.  It's a tipsy topsy world, price-wise and businesses seem to charge what they want when they want, which is why I blacklist those companies I feel are profiteering through artificial inflation, etc.

It's like the company I ordered the first set of RAM from.  It's not that it could not provide the product I ordered.  No, some twit put the wrong price on it and the product was temporarily removed from sale so it could be relisted at a higher price.  Australian consumer law states that a company must sell its products at the advertised price, whether it be correct or not.  That is not the consumer's responsibility.

Anyway, because the company blatantly removed the item after I placed and paid for my order at the advertised price, then reposted later it at a higher price,  I made a formal complaint with Australia's consumer watchdog, which has responded positively to my complaint and it appears action will be taken because the company acted unlawfully.  So now this company is looking at the prospect of thousands in fines because it tried to save a couple of hundred bucks illegally

Suck eggs mothers.....   Don't fech with me cos I fech back.