Hey, Uvah Shouldn't Be Left To Carry The Steampunk Mantle On His Own

c'mon people, it's a style that deserves to ne kept alive.. WB's IP's Cursors... anything.

Friday, March 24, 2017 by starkers | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Okay, the title and sub-title pretty much says it all, and I'm really hoping some skinners will take up the challenge to create some original Steampunk skins that rock this planet and several others.

The last time we had some original and great Steampunk themes is when k10w3 and kitty did a WB and IP package respectively.  Both were very popular themes and remained high among the favourites for quite a while, which suggests that Steampunk is not just a passing phase but a stye/theme that would grow if only we'd give it the opportunity with some new and inventive skins that really rock the casbah.

Orright, I've said my hopeful bit.

JcRabbit
Reply #1 Friday, March 24, 2017 1:26 PM

Yereverluvinuncleber over at the Winstep forums is a master of SteamPunk. Have you guys talked to him already? Check out some of his work:

Uvah
Reply #2 Friday, March 24, 2017 1:44 PM

Putting the finishing touches on a Xion skin. Its very different.

starkers
Reply #3 Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:21 PM

JcRabbit

Yeah, I've followed his work over at deviantart for a while now and have quite a few icons to complement Stempunk themes when I apply them.  However, I haven't seen him over there for a while now so I'll pay a visit to the Winstep forums to catch up with his more recent stuff.  In fact, it'd be fantastic to find somebody has done a Winstep theme over there.

Thing is, I was rather hoping some of the skinners here at WC would consider doing some new Steampunk themes for CursorFX, Iconpackager and Windowblinds.   Yes, we have a WB by K10w3 and an IP set by Vampothika, but it'd be nice to see some more Steampunk skins of all types to widen the scope.

Putting the finishing touches on a Xion skin. Its very different.

Looking forward to seeing it.  I don't usually use Xion, but that could well change now.  I am a huge fan of Steampunk and regularly do a Steampunk themed desktop, and with even more SP stuff coming I'll be in my element.

JcRabbit
Reply #4 Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:39 PM

starkers

Alas, unfortunately he isn't doing anything Winstep related either... he's more interested in stand-alone widgets, and, as you know, Winstep applications go much further than that.

AceMatrix
Reply #5 Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:58 PM

In the tradition of my 3D iconpackages, I've often contemplated creating a SteamPunk 3D package. I know it would be labor intensive and probably take me a few months to complete, but I have thought about it.

-- Ace --

Uvah
Reply #6 Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:33 PM

Its well worth the effort Ace. I know I enjoyed it.

starkers
Reply #7 Sunday, March 26, 2017 2:57 AM

AceMatrix

-- Ace --

Yeah, a complete package would be time consuming and take a while to finish, but it would be fantastic if you were to invest the time to do one.  I've admired your icon work from day one and have all your IP sets, so naturally I'd love a Steampunk version very much.... as would many others who are fans of the Steampunk craze.

Shoot, I might even give it a go myself, once my current priorities are done with.  I'm currently reorganising my desk and PC setup, though it may be just temporary as we are talking about moving to a bigger house.  Thing is, I was tired of the previous setup as it took up too much room.

Instead of regular monitor stands I now have pole stands that clamp to the desk and take up much less space, thus leaving more room for the other stuff.  Trouble is, it's taking longer than I'd like because I've had to make alterations to the desk... not to mention having to wait longer than expected for the monitor mounts to ship.  Oh well, not to worry, it'll get done in its own good time.

AceMatrix
Reply #8 Monday, March 27, 2017 8:48 PM

Monitor mounts is a great idea for saving space on the desktop. I'm thinking about designing and assembling my own. So much to do and so little time.

-- Ace --

starkers
Reply #9 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:40 AM

AceMatrix

-- Ace --

Yeah, by the time you add in the base plates of 2 or 3 monitors to the desktop space there's not much room at the rear of the desk for other peripherals, such as external drive and audio equipment.  Currently I have two monitors mounted on the poles, but I'm hoping to be able to add a third once I've set up everything else.   If I can't I do have another bench beside my desk and I may find that useful to mount additional monitors later on.

As for designing and making my own, no, not any more... time being one factor, and arthritis another.  Besides, I'm better at woodwork than metalwork, and it was so much easier to pay AU$35.95 each than try to make something that didn't look anywhere as neat and professional.

Thing is, I still have a way to go before I'm done, but it'll all be worth it at the end, with a setup and convenience I'm a lot happier with.

Uvah
Reply #10 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 6:29 AM

And here I are with a wooden table, a 21" TV, the modem and cable box plus my two year old laptop. Just added another four gigs of ram and looking for something more up to date. Gonna be some time before I get to that point. But...i'm not complaining.

BTW: Got another smaller player in the works. Planning on docks and maybe a rainlendar.

starkers
Reply #11 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:48 AM

Sounds good... more Steampunk stuff.  Me likey.

However, I'm not the happiest camper at the moment.  I'm back on the HP 2-in-1 until I figure out why I can't get into Windows.  I was removing things I no longer needed or would use and needed to do a reboot after uninstalling Windows Live Essentials.  When the PC rebooted everything fired up as usual, and I got the Windows screen with the little twirly thing, then nothing, just a blank screen and the monitor telling me there's no connection.

Now I don't know if it's because the graphics card isn't sending the signal, or whether Windows can't boot properly. As far as I know, all the files are there on C Drive, but I can't get into the system to do a restore to see if a graphics card driver update may be responsible.  Thing is, the machine booted perfectly twice after the update, so I don't know if it has anything to do with it.  Everything was okay until I uninstalled Windows Live Essentials and a dialog box came up to say the machine needed to be rebooted to complete the process.

After that there was nothing but the login screen and then blank.  I tried using the installation disc but none of the available options have helped restore Windows.  It's like Windows isn't there when I try the System Restore and Recovery Disc options.  Acronis was of no help, either.  It keeps producing an error message every time I try to reload the most recent images.

Yup, I might be up for a reformat, which mightn't be so bad because it is an older installation.  I'd rather not have to at this stage, with so many things on the go, but a fresh install wouldn't hurt, I guess.

Uvah
Reply #12 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:48 PM

Murphy is alive and well...still. An update I got yesterday screwed up Xion...again. Same problem as before. Uninstalled the damn update then had to uninstall and reinstall Xion. This is gettin' tired!

starkers
Reply #13 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:45 PM

I know exactly how you feel, having had update break stuff like forever since I had Win 10 forced down my throat.

Anyhow, on a happier note, I'm back on my big beastie.  I have no idea what caused it, and fixing it just wasn't happening so I did a reformat.  However, that didn't go according to plan at first, either.  The installation disc came back with an error: 'Cannot Install Windows On This Partition'.  Opening the 'details' panel revealed that it was because it was a GPT partition.  Like what?  It's the same one that the very same installation of Windows was going on.

Not to be defeated, I temporoarily installed Windows on another drive and installed Easus Partition Manager to convert the disc to an MBR with NTFS.  Why Windows couldn't do it, who knows, but the next attempt got Windows installed where I wanted, on a 256Gb SSD.

And here I am!

Uvah
Reply #14 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:17 PM

And here I are too. Just completed a clean install of the Creators Build 15063. Now I'm putting all my programs back.

starkers
Reply #15 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:20 AM

Yeah, I had to do yet another clean install.  I thought everything had gone okay, but my hopes were dashed when I discovered that the Product ID was missing and I couldn't activate Windows.  I searched for a fix and tried several but none worked, hence another clean install to repair it.... and having to reinstall everything I'd only just installed.

Touch wood, it's all working now and I'm rebuilding the OS and 3rd party programs, etc.  I have quite a few updates to do because this is the original release version of Windows 8.  I have all the patches and the 8.1 update to do, so I will likely be in for another late night.  I didn't go to bed at all last night.  Stayed up so I could resolve the damned issues that kept popping up.  I ended up going to bed about 9.30am this morning for about 4 hours or so.

Actually, the updates are downloading rather quickly, which is unusual for MS, so maybe it won't be such a late night after all.  Once I have the core elements installed I can take my time over the various programs I'll want/need.

Uvah
Reply #16 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:41 AM

I managed to back up everything except my downloads, (thought I got it all). WB's, Xion skins, Icon packs, etc. Dl'ing all the ones I missed now. Tons of work to do.

starkers
Reply #17 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:09 PM

Tell me about it!  I still have oodles to do before I'm done, what with installing all my programs and setting up my browsers the way I want with various security/privacy add-ons.

I endured 4 and a bit hours last night doing Windows updates and installing the Windows 8.1 refresh.  Thing is, everything is working as it should and I'm protected.  I got a Trend Micro security package trown in when I purchased my HP 2-in-1, and it's good for multiple devices [up to 5 or 6] so I put a copy on the AMD beasty.

I still have to get my Intel rig back up and running, which hopefully isn't too far off.  I'm still rearranging and doing some modifications to accommodate it better than before.  Now it really is a BIG beastie and it takes up quite a bit of space, so some preparation is required to fit it into the new setup.

Wizard1956
Reply #18 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:17 PM

Just completed a clean install of the Creators Build 15063

With all the issues Win 10 "upgrades" and updates with the current release build have been having, I'm avoiding running the Creator Train Wreck  until it's been thoroughly tested  and debugged by people willing to hose their systems with MS's  latest. I'm not even sure I'll live that long.  Have at it, soon you'll be in the forums wanting crap fixed that YOU decided to break.

Uvah
Reply #19 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:02 PM

Well......I never put the blame anywhere other than where it belongs.......with me. So far it updated yet again and took over an hour to complete. But I'm not complaining.

Wizard1956
Reply #20 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:34 PM

You're much braver than I am.

I wish you luck with it. Let us know how it goes.