I Just Discovered Liberkey Portable Apps Manager.

and quite like it

Sunday, February 5, 2017 by starkers | Discussion: Personal Computing

Well the title say it all, I just found a portable apps manager in Liberkey and I'm finding quite useful indeed.  Not only does it keep all the apps handy in the one place, I've been able to uninstall several similar/equivelant programs to save space on my SSD, being the Liberkey versions tend to have a smaller footprint.

The program is similar to Nirsoft's app manager, but I like Liberkey better.  Now for those of you who don't know about Liberkey, take a look here and see what it has to offer.  Most will recognise apps like Ccleaner and others, but there is a wide range of apps in several categories [graphics; office; audio; video; networking; PC management, etc] to choose from.  Many you may know, but there may be others you're not so familiar with.

Now being all the apps are portable, you can install Liberkey on a USB stick and take it anywhere and everywhere you go.  There are 3 suites of apps to install from the outset: the first being rather basic; the second a little more comprehensive; and the third covers pretty much everything.  However; with any of the suites, if there's you feel is missing, there's 260 or more apps on the Liberkey site to choose from.

So if you're into art; writing; photography; music; video; tinkering with PC settings and etc, there's a bit of something for everybody. Now remember, these are portable apps, not full on programs like Photoshop, etc, but for the average user who likes to dabble a bit in art, photography, etc, they should be more than adequate.

Anyhow, take a look and see what you think, I'd be interested to hear.

Daiwa
Reply #1 Sunday, February 5, 2017 12:23 PM

Thanks, Starkers.  Grabbed it.

starkers
Reply #2 Sunday, February 5, 2017 6:06 PM

No worries, mate.  Whenever I find something I find useful I like to share it with the members here at WC.  I had tried the Nirsoft manager before and thought it was okay, but this one I feel is better.  Others may disagree, but we're all entitled to an opinion, I guess.

What I like about Liberkey is its ease of use and the variety of apps across several categories, with some being well known and popular apps, to some lesser known but useful ones.

gevansmd
Reply #3 Sunday, February 5, 2017 9:06 PM

Sounds like a good thing to check out.  Thanks for posting!

Reply #4 Monday, February 6, 2017 4:54 AM

Nice find, Mark.

RedneckDude
Reply #5 Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:08 PM

I installed it, so far, not a lot different from PortabeApps which I use.

starkers
Reply #6 Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:53 AM

RedneckDude

I installed it, so far, not a lot different from PortabeApps which I use.

Yeah, it's similar to the Nirsoft one as well, but I like the Liberkey one better than it.  I've not seen or heard of PortableApps until now[well not that I can recall] but I might give it a try to see which one better suits me.

According to a review site I looked up, PortableApps is the granddaddy of all managers and has an extensive apps library as well as continuing development and support.  Well it sounds okay based on that assessment.

RedneckDude
Reply #7 Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:03 AM

Liberkey does respond to WindowFX, PortableApps does not. PortableApps comes with skins. I keep a PortableApps flash drive.

starkers
Reply #8 Thursday, February 9, 2017 12:42 PM

RedneckDude

I currently have both on my desktop for evaluation and to see which I like best, but I will eventually load the one I  want onto a USB stick... perhaps even both, if each has apps not present on the other.  I'd just load my preferred one with all the apps I use most and just keep the other for those less common apps not available with my first preference.

Of the two, I'm leaning towards Liberkey because apps can be loaded in suites, and any others can be added via the program itself, whereas with PortableApps it appears that apps have to be loaded individually using the download manager, which would be more time consuming if you happen to use a wide range of apps from all of the categories.

While it's true that PortableApps currently has more apps available, Liberkey is adding more as they are developed.  The thing is, Liberkey pretty much has the apps/tools I need, so I may use it as my first choice and PortableApps for those useful apps not as yet available in Liberkey.  Like why not have the best of both worlds, right?

As for skinning/appearance, I'll get around to that later.  Right now I'm sorting out the practical side[s] and getting the apps I most use or feel I need or want.

anotherside
Reply #9 Thursday, February 9, 2017 1:17 PM

This is a bit off topic because the apps are not portable, but nevertheless found this interesting:

Uvah
Reply #10 Thursday, February 9, 2017 1:50 PM

Checked out ninite.com and at the bottom of the page it says try it for free. I'm assuming its a trial version and once the trial is up you gotta pay for it. No thanks.

anotherside
Reply #11 Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:04 PM

Yes, you are probably right. Didn't think of that. I do think Windows lacks a Program Store so anytime I come across something like Impulse, Steam, Ninite, Intel App-Up and others I think that this might be it, but it never is.

Daiwa
Reply #12 Friday, February 10, 2017 5:04 PM

Windows most definitely has an app store.  Not that you'd wanna go there.

starkers
Reply #13 Saturday, February 11, 2017 4:17 AM

Windows most definitely has an app store. Not that you'd wanna go there.

Yeah, but those are a different kind of app, though, and not likely portable, either.  I will admit that I found some of the Metro apps useful to begin with, but these days I don't use any of them.  Nope, I just use win 8.1 and 10 as regular OSes without the clutter of Metro.

Having said that, I use Liberkey because it holds many of the Utilities and System tools I have used over the years, but as portable apps that I can take anywhere if need be, which is a win, win for me when I have to go out to fix somebody's machine. Besides all that, it also has various video and audio tools that I find useful, but without the large footprints of similar installed versions.

Uvah
Reply #14 Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:19 AM

Didn't mean to burst your bubble anotherside. Its just that the app only has three of the programs I normally use and the rest I have no need of.