Blindness & my skinning future

Can my sight be restored ?

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 by AceMatrix | Discussion: Community

Perhaps some of you regulars here in the community will recall that I have stated in previous posts that I'm completely blind in my right eye. This has always caused me to labor twice as hard when creating my iconpackages. Soon after the completion of my last package "Dragon Fire" I noticed my vision was failing to re-focus and the world around me became distorted....permenantly. I went many weeks unable to read or type on my computer, and driving.....not happening. I was diagnosed with bleeding "wet" Macular Degeneration in both of my eyes. The future looked grim indeed. I went through a period of indescribable depression. Approximately 2 months ago I was blessed to be chosen to be a patient in a 2 year clinical trial. The groundbreaking new medicines are injected into the eyeballs of both my eyes with the goal of not only stopping degeneration, but to actually reverse and improve, if not cure the visual destruction. It is a 2 year program that requires me to get injections every month. Already after only 2 months of injections, I've noticed a vast improvement. I once again have hope for the future. I dream of being able to create art again, ride my motorcycle again, and remain independent.   -- Ace --

Reply #1 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:23 PM

So glad to hear about successful treatment of WMD.

Ace...hoping it goes all the way!

DaveBax
Reply #2 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:46 PM

I was always amazed at the icon sets you put out with your situation. Now I'm very happy to hear things may be turning around for you. Bless you Ace and don't miss any appointments. There is always hope.

AceMatrix
Reply #3 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:54 PM

Thank-you Doc. I will be posting updates as things move along. I want other people faced with this disease to realize that there is hope and not to lose faith.      --Ace --

AceMatrix
Reply #4 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:00 PM

Thank you Dave. As a matter of fact I have my next appointment tomorrow. It's always real hard to see after those injections so I may or may not be able to read & type tomorrow. I'm just taking it one day at a time and staying positive.  --Ace --

Jafo
Reply #5 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:05 PM

My wife's family have been involved in an on-going study into congenital Optic Atrophy.....now in the throes of isolating the gene....

Mother was essentially blind....4 out of 5 kids cannot get a drivers licence [fifth must be adopted]...

Good to hear things are looking up [no pun intended]..

LightStar
Reply #6 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:07 PM

That is soooooooooooo good to hear Ace, your icons are always fantastic. Best of luck to you for the future, sounds like it's going to be fine!

RedneckDude
Reply #7 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:10 PM

Ace, great news, man. I hope you meet all your future goals!!

gmc2
Reply #8 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:21 PM

congratulations and hope you have continued improvement.

AceMatrix
Reply #9 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:33 PM

Thank-you Jafo , Tom, Jim , & Greg for your encouragement. The most important reason for this post is to pass along to people the information that there is finally hope for those that are suffering from this incurable disease. Who knows what the final result will be 2 years from now, but one thing I can say is that after only 3 months, I'm thrilled with the progress so far. I'll be sure to update as time goes by and hopefully the information will be a blessing & encouragement for some.     --Ace --

Supergrovercmstorm
Reply #10 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:29 AM

Keep you spirits up, they do amazing things these days eye wise. I have a genetic eye disorder ( long story ) and went blind also, the left eye was worse and after a transplant and 6 surgeries later I have 20/60. Was a "experimental" procedure but as I said they do amazing stuff nowadays. Right eye will get the same procedure in a couple years, this one has to completely heal first.

I also experienced depression, who wouldn't watching the world fade away but keep up the good spirits, positive thoughts bring positive things, negative thoughts tend to make things worse.

I wish you the best and hope to see you ( no pun) skinning again soon.

Stramp
Reply #11 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:55 AM

ACE I'm praying for you. I have severe mopyia. but I do the best I can. I have very much over the years so much enjoyed your art.  Yes the world as i see it is blurred and hard to enjoy without the eyes tosee it, but we can take solace in those around us and persevere and show them what we have learned. I believe all will be better tho may not be perfect we need such as you to inspire us. I was very nearsighted when I began and not much better but you all gave me sight. I am thankful for you, we are all here for you. Have strength in our love for you!

neone6
Reply #12 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:46 AM

Oh sheee.... didn't know

-I REALLY hope this will fix you up Ace !

Uvah
Reply #13 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:48 AM

Hey Ace. Glad to hear you're on the mend. I'm in the process of rebuilding my icon collection and your's are right on top. Always did like the way you create these mini masterpieces. Hope everything goes your way 'cause we need your talent. Be well my friend.

AceMatrix
Reply #14 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:29 AM

Thank-you so much Supergrovercmstorm, Stramp, Andy, & Russ for your kind and heartwarming comments. I'm overwhelmed with all the love and support from all the folks here and that alone has filled me with so much hope, and for this, I am so grateful. May God bless all of you. I'm leaving in a couple hours to get this months treatment at the clinic, so I wanted to reply before I leave because  the injections make it very difficult for me to see for a couple days and I may not be able to reply here for a few days. I love you all...will talk to you again in a day or two.     -- Ace --

RedneckDude
Reply #15 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:50 PM

Hi ya, Russ. Russ, the Xion man!!!

Jafo
Reply #16 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:18 PM

Back in the day when I did graphics I had (not as bad as you with your situation) color blindness. I found it hard to create any type of art (graphics) that anyone would want to download.

First 'test' I ever failed [passed?] was in primary school.....found to be colour blind in the purple tones...

I've only ever met/known one person who was 100% monochrome.... my maths teacher in secondary school.  He only got his driver's licence because he could demonstrate he knew which 'end' of the traffic lights was red or green...

c242
Reply #17 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:41 PM

All the best, I hope the cure works.

AceMatrix
Reply #18 Friday, July 15, 2016 2:03 PM

Thank-you Carl & RG ......Today I'm finally able to see well enough after the injections on Wednesday. There was a change in medication in my right eye as my doctors were not satisfied with the progress in that particular eye , but the prospect of actually having any bit of sight in that eye is sooooo exciting !  I lost total vision in that eye in early 2009. I feel really upbeat today as my doctors were very encouraging and positive during  my visit Wednesday. I have a couple of unfinished iconpackages that I was working on before all of this put a stop to that. I am hoping that soon my vision may improve to the point that I can finish those and share them with everyone here on WC.  --Ace --

DaveBax
Reply #19 Friday, July 15, 2016 2:53 PM

You will get there hopefully. Patience little Grasshopper.

I heard that somewhere. lol.