Any DesktopX Users Left?

Themes, Gadgets, or Widgets?

Friday, May 13, 2016 by RedneckDude | Discussion: Skinning

Guys, I am considering getting back into skinning.

Mostly, DesktopX. And a Winstep or two here and there.

My question is, are there enough of you still interested in DesktopX stuff to make it worth it?

Feel free, please do, to chime in here to let me know who is still interested.

DaveRI
Reply #1 Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:21 AM

I did see this recently, but it might not be the type of thing you're wanting to do:

Gaspershooters
Reply #2 Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:49 AM

It's death. Just let it go.

Chasbo
Reply #3 Saturday, May 14, 2016 2:08 PM

I still use DX. I also use Rainmeter and XWidget. They all offer something but yes I am always interested. You do very good work.

gevansmd
Reply #4 Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:04 PM

When I upgrade my hardware I might get back to using xWidgets, but my CPU is already near 40% when it's idling, running most of the SD products.

willistuder
Reply #5 Saturday, May 14, 2016 8:23 PM

I finally uninstalled DesktopX a few months ago. I'd be interested in gadgets, but I don't think that I'll reinstall DesktopX again.

It's good to see you interested again, Jim.

RedneckDude
Reply #6 Saturday, May 14, 2016 9:13 PM

Hmmmm, not much interest.  Bummer.

Well, I may just skin for me, then decide whether or not to share.

shpajz
Reply #7 Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:01 PM

I came here back in the days of desktopx 1.1, and spent a lot of time on wincustomize in golden days of 2.x-3.1.
Out of all stardock products, desktopx was in my eyes always most interesting, because it offered real functionality, not just cosmetics, and did things that no other software at that time could do.
I never understood why it was discontinued, guess most people just look for easy added bling (aka install blinds, load theme), and desktopx really shined when u wanted to create something personalized and unique, to, you know, customize your windows
anyway, sorry for nostalgic rant, and to answer op question, yes, there are some of us interested in desktopx, but sadly it seems our numbers are pretty low

p.s. i love your work

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Sunday, May 15, 2016 9:37 AM

Thanks, shpajz! Good to see there are still some old DXers still around!

c242
Reply #9 Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:43 PM

I still have 3 gadgets running at 2 customers, have to use a virtual machine if any changes are needed...

Kinger
Reply #10 Sunday, May 15, 2016 2:41 PM

Jim, I love your Gadgets. But as for using the whole themes not so much anymore. Every once in a while.

BigDogBigFeet
Reply #11 Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:19 PM

I still use DesktopX.  I am always willing to have something like that running.  Full Desktops to widgets. objects or the occasional gadget.

ZubaZ
Reply #12 Monday, May 16, 2016 3:08 PM

I still use a few gadgets now and again.
I'd be insterested in new stuff.

Gadget request: A cube that spins/floats on a desktop where I could have a jpg or png on each side or cycle through a directory of images.  Allow it to be moveable, maybe some bounce on screen edge.

(Might as well start big, right?   )

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:37 PM

Trying to recruit Skarny to help code this. If he codes it, I'll skin it.

Jaroepz
Reply #14 Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:09 PM

Im in Jim i still like to use it more than a little...lol

thx...

Skarny
Reply #15 Monday, May 23, 2016 3:30 AM

ZubaZ
Reply #16 Monday, May 23, 2016 8:14 AM

RedneckDude
Reply #17 Monday, May 23, 2016 11:11 AM

Skarny
Reply #18 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:16 AM

SWF video of 'photo cube' in DesktopX.

Used a webbrowser COM control, littleboy's dxcanvas plugin, and after a few fails with various javascript 3d 'engines' for HTML canvas I was able to get a spinning 3d cube with photo on the sides.

But, as you can see from the video - it flickers, seams can be seen, and it mysteriously crashes after a few seconds (some issue with the canvas plugin?).

I don't have the know how to work with Julien's source for the canvas plugin or even where to begin debugging what might be wrong.

I can get great results just in the webbrowser control's canvas - but there's no background transparency/alpha blending. (as a side note, cool that you can have a 'webpage' control desktopx objects - if I build anything again I'll do most interface - like settings - in web browser, and just the 'gadget' elements in desktopx.

If there was a way to make the web browser control's 'paper/background' truly transparent, along with the canvas element...

Or have littleboy's canvas accept the webbrowser controls canvas object as an input and 'stream' the content.

Or, dunno, any other ideas?

Skarny
Reply #19 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:16 AM

That's possibly the most perfect example of what DesktopX is for.

RND would be able to reproduce that calendar/clock I think.

I mean, it's just text on a solid colour box....

:edit: this was in reply to DaveRI's link - I guess we still don't have threaded forums..

Skarny
Reply #20 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:29 AM

Better - but this isn't DesktopX and it uses 3-4% cpu.

It's using nw.js (a javascript/html framework) to display a frameless transparent window with a HTML5 canvas with a 3d javascript library. I can drag it about and interact with it the same way I would a DesktopX object.

If I switch to a webgl based canvas element it would probably shave off the cpu usage (using gpu instead).

The next hurdle is distribution size - web app kits like nw.js tend to be large (as they have all their functionality compiled in) even if you only use a fraction of it. Around 50mb Not what someone might expect for a small gadget app.

Again someone might be able to teach me the ways of recompiling stuff so I only have to distribute the minimum files