Had An Absolute ******** Of A Day

damned Windows 10.... grrrrrrr.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 by starkers | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

First off, find yer own damned expletive to fill in where the stars are.... I'm too tired and fechen lazy after the absolute *******  of a day I've had.

AAARRRHHHH!!!!!  Fechen Windows 10.  If it were human I'd have fechen strangled it hours ago.

Anyway, getting right to the point, I was damn sick and tired of Win 10 procrastinating, whether or not it'd move, copy or delete files and/or folders as requested.  And when it had decided, sometimes it would throw up this error that said a fatal hardware error was preventing the requested operation.   What bullshit!   The only thing wrong with my hardware is Windows fechen 10 is on it.

So, to cut an even longer story a little shorter.... nah, fech it.... I had to suffer, and so shall you.  Anyhow, I decided that the 'upgrade' route was the root of all my problems and that I should do a clean install to get rid of the bullshit.  BTW, who ever thought of the 'upgrade route' needs castrating with a dull-edged butter knife.  I mean, how fechen stupid was that?  As usual I digress yet again and fly off on a whole different tangent.  Yup, it's obvious I don't multi-task very well, ain't it?  Now, to get back on topic, I downloaded MS media creation tool and the Home Edition of Win 10.  Yup, everything was going to plan... or so I thought.

The first thing that went wrong is that I somehow got the Pro Edition... like WTF?   When using the MS media creation tool, you get the same edition as your original OS, which in this case IS Win 10 Home.  So, after all that time and effort - and hour of my life I can never regain.... and at my age.... uh oh,there I go again - I can't damn well personalise anything, I can't change various settings.... I can't fechen activate the damned OS.  So back to the fechen drawing board I go.... right back to square one cos I no longer have the 'upgraded' version of 10 and NO original OS to wind back to.

By now I'm having to use Shaunna's Win 10 laptop to create a new installation disc... and I used the same method with the same tools, yet the new ISO disc won't boot.  And I couldn't use the installation files because Windows setup simply wanted to refresh the Pro edition, which was useless to me without a valid Pro product key. What a pain in the proverbial!  Like I needed this crap on a day that didn't begin too well and just got worse as it progressed.  Should have stayed in fechen bed.... and nobody had better say it: "Why, the 'software' in there works no better."

The third installation disc worked, however, and I was able to boot from disc to perform a disc clean up, etc, prion to setup.  Fortunately, I have a working PC again and I'm not getting those niggling 'fatal' errors all the time.  Now why couldn't it have installed cleanly like that the first time?  Cos it's damned fechen contrary Windows 10, that's why.  I would have much preferred Win 8.1 on my HP 2-in-1, but I don't have a spare copy... and I gave away all my copies of Win 7 to family.

Oh well, I have Win 10, like it or not, and I don't, but it is a little better since the reformat/clean install.

Jafo
Reply #1 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:19 AM

and I gave away all my copies of Win 7 to family.

Well, there's your problem right there.

This machine...all high-tech 7 grand of it is still happily running on Win 7.

No prompts to upgrade...no nothing.

Only one of the 4 machines on 10 here was not an 'upgrade' but a full install.

Only one has given issues...and that's down to using a low res TV [for Terry's sight issues] rather than a proper monitor.

By and large 10 is 'idiot-proof'....

....[and I 'could' say something here...but I shan't ] ...

starkers
Reply #2 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:35 PM

....[and I 'could' say something here...but I shan't ] ..

Best not! I will have mt 18+ ID card in a couple of weeks and will then be able to fly again.... to Melbourne.

Oh, and 10 is far from idiot proof.   Plenty of people are having, or had issues with the pig.  I am currently battling 10 to maintain the default programs I chose.  Every so often a pop out notifies me that the default status for various files had been changed and will be reset to the preferred MS default.  Bastard of an OS!  I've set my chosen defaults 4 times now, and 4 times they were changed back.  So much for user choice.

Two good things came out of the reformat, however, so I am grateful for small mercies.  At least now the OS isn't resource hogging and the CPU is running at a 'normal' rate.  The other thing, Windows isn't taking an eternity to decide whether or not to move, copy or delete files.

Anyhow, I WILL resolve the default app issue!!!!   Next up I'm going to delete/uninstall all the Metro crap and disable WU/Scheduled Maintenance so I don't get back those pesky 'default' flyouts that have been pissing me off.... there'll be no 'default' alternative to go to.  If I want to use Cyberfox instead of that crappy Edge, then that should be MY choice... not those bastards at Redmond.

With a bit of luck I will have concluded my Linux investigations over the next few weeks, then I can stick my finger up and tell Redmond to go fech itself.

DaveRI
Reply #3 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:45 PM

starkers

In the hopes of reducing your stress level a point or two   ...

I had an old version of WinZip (v12) which had been listed as Win10 non-compatible.  I'm not a purist and I installed it anyway and it worked fine for a month or two.  After one of the Win10 updates it started doing exactly what you're describing any time I'd drag a WB folder into it.  WinZip posted a "reminder" in their FAQs that versions prior to [whatever] were not Win10 compatible - that FAQ note was dated within a day or two of the problem appearing.

So if you're using any old stuff that you know you really shouldn't be using, might look at it...

Jafo
Reply #4 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:50 PM

starkers

Yes, that's what demonstrates the point.... that there are plenty of idiots.

Most issues with anything to do with computers is the idiom..."a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Remember....'confidence' is that feeling you have immediately BEFORE you fully understand the situation....

RedneckDude
Reply #5 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:36 PM

Yes, that's what demonstrates the point.... that there are plenty of idiots.

True stuff can be so funny.....

starkers
Reply #6 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:00 PM

DaveRI

In one instance, it's the latest version of Cyberfox.... same thing with Firefox.  No, Windows wants me using that Edge POS and kept defaulting back to that.  The same thing was happening with music and image files, where Windows would default back to an app when I'd just installed the latest versions of VLC Player and Faststone Image viewer.

Anyway, I fixed it by uninstalling All the apps and disabling Edge.  Now I don't get all that 'default' bullshit going on.  Point is, I shouldn't have to be resorting to extreme measures in order to use MY PC the way I want.  MS has overstepped the mark and has become way too aggressive in 'suggesting' that people do as MS wants.

Quoting starkers,
reply 2

Oh, and 10 is far from idiot proof. Plenty of people are having, or had issues with the pig.

Yes, that's what demonstrates the point.... that there are plenty of idiots.

No, it just demonstrates that you have been lucky thus far.  My niece is highly computer literate, and yet she has had issues with Win 10.  Like me, she didn't want it, either, yet she woke up one morning to find it had replaced the version of Win 7 I gave her.  And now I believe it!  She rolled back to Win 7, but a couple of days later she again awoke to Win 10... with no hope of a roll back.  This time her recovery partition had also been deleted.

On the note of default programs being rolled back to a MS preferred app, it is happening to plenty of PC literate people.... as well as idiots.

RedneckDude
Reply #7 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:37 PM

starkers

No, it just demonstrates that you have been lucky thus far.

Mark, I own 8 PCs with Windows 10 on them. No issues. Luck has nothing to do with it.

DaveRI
Reply #8 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 1:54 AM

starkers

Ya that'll probably do it.  Now, again in the hopes of reducing your future stress level a point or two, I'll let you know in advance that at some point you may see an error message to the effect of "Class not registered.TWINUI".  That's what Win10 spits out when its little app programs get broken and for some reason it tries to access them again (e.g., the defaults get "reset").  I suppose in your case you'd want to re-assign the defaults to something else.

Maybe since you actually uninstalled them it'll be smart enough to keep it straight.  May the force be with you.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #9 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 4:35 AM

I thought I read somewhere that windows 10 does not always play nice on some OEM rigs which is  what I have. Al I know is I installed Windows 10 and I had issues with it. Went back to 7 and have not had a problem since. I guess I must be a Windows 10 idiot but I take comfort in knowing I am a Windows 7 genius.

Uvah
Reply #10 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:28 AM

I dunno...I'm not having any issues with Win10 other than the ghost icon, which came back again and the one app I left installed, the calculator. All the others I uninstalled. When I try to access it I get a pop up saying that I need to use another account because it cannot open with existing admin rights. Other than that no problems.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #11 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:31 AM

Uvah isn't past your bed time? go to sleep.

Uvah
Reply #12 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:40 AM

Problem?

starkers
Reply #13 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:52 AM

RedneckDude

Quoting starkers,

No, it just demonstrates that you have been lucky thus far.

Again, you are one of the lucky ones. There are Win 10 users from all countries across the world having issues... and that doesn't include the folk who don't want it but are getting it forced down their throats regardless.

Now I thought I had things pretty much under control in Win 10, but alas, when I got back from shopping today I discovered that my 'Everything' search program had been uninstalled, as was Ccleaner and Faststone Image Viewer.  All were gone... uninstalled without my perrmission, though MS would use some bullshit excuse, like they were security threats or something.

I recall somebody had the same issue with Speccy.  It seems to me that if MS doesn't like your choice of 3rd party app, they will uninstall it and suggest an alternative from the MS Store... an 'app' that either MS or a favoured partner offers instead.

An App?  From the Store?  Doesn't anyone see where this is heading?   Nobody see a restrictive and inhibitive walled garden that completely does away with System 32 and rivals Apple's?    So what'll be on the agenda after that?  A Windows subscription model that, if youre short of cash one month... or for several months due to a unexpected crisis/injury, etc, promptly cuts off Windows and disables your PC until you can afford to pay?  MS currently denies this outcome, but given how many other companies have gone with the software subscription model, it's just a natural progression that MS will follow.

And the sad thing about it all, the majority will take it up the a** and not murmur one word of complaint or dissent.  In fact, most will embrace it because MS says it's the best Windows ever.  Nobody will question that, well the majority won't, and Microsoft will get away with one of the largest corporate lies/crimes in history.  MS does not see you as a customer any more.  No, we have all become consumerist sheep who will cop it sweet, no matter what they serve up.  Given the lack any real competition in the OS/PC market, MS knows it has a captive marker that will continue to take it up the a** because there are no viable alternatives out there.

In a nutshell, Microsoft has become a parasite and the scourge of the tech world, and thus, I neither trust or respect it any more.

starkers
Reply #14 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:12 AM

DaveRI

Quoting starkers,
reply 6

Anyway, I fixed it by uninstalling All the apps and disabling Edge. Now I don't get all that 'default' bullshit going on.

Ya that'll probably do it.

Yup, every time I am confronted with an issue MS threw at me, I research ways to rid myself of the annoyance.  Often it takes a 3rd party program, but what that tells me is that the issues are far more common and widespread than most 'ostriches' think.  I mean, why would anyone go to the bother of creating a program to combat the issues surrounding Win 10 if there were just a few isolated incidents here and there?  Fact is, there are enough dissatisfied and angry people out there, it's just that Microsoft, in its self-serving and greedy quest for market dominance, just isn't listening.  Maybe Satya Nadella is deaf, stupid or ignorant, perhaps all three, but  he will be the undoing of what once was a somewhat better company.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #15 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:29 AM

It was a joke, No problem.

anotherside
Reply #16 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 11:48 AM

OSX marketshare is up to almost 10 %.

This is remarkable, because you don't buy a Mac unless you have serious problems with Windows.

Is grandma supposed to install a new build of Windows 10? It takes half an hour and during that time she'll probably freak out and try to power off the damn thing.

Many people are enjoying Windows 10, but many are so overwhelmed by the OS that they throw in the towel and buy a Mac, just because they don't want to fight their OS anymore.

starkers

Now I thought I had things pretty much under control in Win 10, but alas, when I got back from shopping today I discovered that my 'Everything' search program had been uninstalled, as was Ccleaner and Faststone Image Viewer. All were gone... uninstalled without my perrmission, though MS would use some bullshit excuse, like they were security threats or something.

I haven't used Windows 10 a lot so I haven't experienced the full wrath of it. This sounds alarming.

starkers

An App? From the Store? Doesn't anyone see where this is heading? Nobody see a restrictive and inhibitive walled garden that completely does away with System 32 and rivals Apple's? So what'll be on the agenda after that? A Windows subscription model that, if youre short of cash one month... or for several months due to a unexpected crisis/injury, etc, promptly cuts off Windows and disables your PC until you can afford to pay? MS currently denies this outcome, but given how many other companies have gone with the software subscription model, it's just a natural progression that MS will follow.

And the sad thing about it all, the majority will take it up the a** and not murmur one word of complaint or dissent. In fact, most will embrace it because MS says it's the best Windows ever. Nobody will question that, well the majority won't, and Microsoft will get away with one of the largest corporate lies/crimes in history. MS does not see you as a customer any more. No, we have all become consumerist sheep who will cop it sweet, no matter what they serve up. Given the lack any real competition in the OS/PC market, MS knows it has a captive marker that will continue to take it up the a** because there are no viable alternatives out there.

Well said. This threat is real. When MS starts uninstalling WindowBlinds and Start 10 for incompatibility or security reasons then people will understand where this thing is heading. The frustration starkers is feeling today we'll all feel when WB is long gone and the Store is everything there is. Microsoft is currently working on making Windows Explorer a Store app. Customization is soon a thing of the past unless someone writes a new customizable file-manager. Windows 10 is the saddest and most restrictive piece of software that Microsoft has ever produced.

The tech world needs to wake up unless they want to be at the mercy of Microsoft. Soon Android (and Linux) will be the only option because AOSP is open source and you can fork the base system and have many different app stores. Steam is still available on Windows, but how long? Gabe Newell saw this danger (and he knows Microsoft) and that's why he invested millions building Steam with a Linux base so he can continue his business if Microsoft pulls the rug from under his feet.

It's a mess, because Microsoft can't be trusted anymore.

Uvah
Reply #17 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:27 PM

JuniorCrooks

It was a joke, No problem.

starkers
Reply #18 Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:37 PM

anotherside

It's a mess, because Microsoft can't be trusted anymore.

And because Microsoft wants to dominate in the tech world... it wants to control us, thus moving the goal posts to better implement its lopsided agenda.

If Bill Gates were dead he'd be rolling in his grave right now, so why is he allowing this Nadella upstart to cause so much ill will and anger, thus destroying his company bit by bit.

The day will come when all the Win 10 embracers realise that they've been conned big time, but by then it will be way too late and MS will have won.  The complaints, dissent and anger needed to start several months ago when irregularities were being exposed, but no, the 10 embracers were too busy playing with MS' new toy to even notice things were/are patently wrong with the OS and its invasive data collection... and for their crimes, of turning a blind eye and pretending Win 10 is better than sliced bread, they will continue to cop it up the a** from MS long after those with half an ounce of sense have moved on to something better, safer.... more trustworthy to use.

Yeah, I know that was strong language, but I pulled my head out of my... sorry, the sand and can see no good [for the customer/consumer] coming out of this.  I woke up, had a sniff of the MS coffee, and decided I like Linux tea better.

vStyler
Reply #19 Sunday, May 8, 2016 10:37 PM

I quite like Win 10

Jafo
Reply #20 Monday, May 9, 2016 12:07 AM

vStyler

I quite like Win 10

Ditto...generally.

However this is the I-blindly-hate-10-because-MS-is-Satan cheer-squad thread.

Reality is...MOST people will not have an issue with 10, but a noisy few will feel the need to alter the default privacy settings and declare the need to do so the second coming of the apocalypse.

A small number who like to push the boundaries of an OS will find the going 'entertaining', but still the ONLY true problem with the OS is the default settings with regards to the updating process...although this stance by MS is quite understandable and logical....

...if only every user wasn't regarded as a Beta tester of said updates. There will always be issues [as there have been already].

But it isn't the end of the world....and as OS's go it's still way more functionally useful than any version of Linux.....if you have already spent a couple of decades with Windows it is infinitely more sensible to stick with the Windows OS, whatever generation.