NVIDIA'S New Game Ready Driver Issues

March 7 2016 release of driver

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 by PoSmedley | Discussion: Personal Computing

I downloaded the latest Game Ready Driver yesterday from NVIDIA when the Game Ready App alerted me it was available and fell victim to the BSOD as did thousands of others.

It took me a bit to even discover I was not alone and it was actually not my fault for a change.

I did manage to boot into repair mode and I did a system restore. A lot of people were not even able to do that. I can attest to the fact that constant rebooting only got me the BSOD over and over.

There were several fixes offered such as uninstalling and then reinstalling under the 'custom' setting and doing a clean install.

However, I came across this

New Game Ready Driver to solve yesterday's installation issues. WHQL-pending with Microsoft. You can grab it now

The link will take you to

Version: 364.51 BETA
Release Date: 2016.3.8
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 324.51 MB

where you can download the update to version 364.47 driver that shut down so many PC's yesterday.

OR, as some folks are doing, wait it out. NVIDIA's first claim was that this was affecting only dual monitor set-ups, but if you look, you'll see single monitor rigs got hit as well (like mine).

Hope this is of some help to anyone who got snagged in the mess.

RedneckDude
Reply #1 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:17 PM

I got the 362 driver today via GeForce Experience. It black screened me.

I  took out gfx card, used onboard gfx, uninstalled bad driver, shut down, put gfx card back in, turn on, install driver, voila!

Now I have 362 and it's fine so far. I am usually leery of beta drivers. Is it going well for you then?

JcRabbit
Reply #2 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:10 PM

Ouch. Glad I'm still at 362.

Jafo
Reply #3 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:13 PM

It's actually the 'fault' of Windows 10 and 'forced updates'.

Simply make sure Graphic Drivers cannot be installed until AFTER you actually want them.

Best approach is to NEVER grab 'updates' to a Graphic Driver until AFTER others have crashed and burned...and the issues are resolved...

This update is NOT the first to fuck a Windows 10.

PoSmedley
Reply #4 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:42 PM

RedneckDude

Is it going well for you then?

No issues.

This is my first high end graphics card. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. It was a gift and I'm still on the learning curve, trying to take care of it and do the right thing and all.  Yo're right, though. Live and learn. I saw a few dozen posts in reddit from guys that usually follow what you laid out but chose not to this 'one' time and wham! I'll wait, from now on.

Excalpius
Reply #5 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:46 PM

It's actually the 'fault' of Windows 10 and 'forced updates'.

No, this wasn't via Windows Update.  It was through the nVidia GeForce Experience Application...as he made clear in his original post.

Jafo
Reply #6 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 12:36 AM

Excalpius

Quoting Jafo,

It's actually the 'fault' of Windows 10 and 'forced updates'.

Doesn't matter....same caution applies to 'updates' for cards.

My GTX980 is on 10.18.13.6143 - December '15.

I see absolutely no reason to change it.

Yet. ...

alaknebs
Reply #7 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:50 AM

here's the weird thing about win10 driver updates.. it's somewhat random as to what it updates. i mean, it has not updated my nvidia drivers yet since nov (i get them direct from nvidia from time to time).. and certainly didn't update realtek sound drivers, even though there are far newer ones in ms catalogue.

in fact, i'm not even sure what driver updates it's ever performed (for some reason the reliability report thing cuts off from last month, even though os was installed in nov.) though i know it updated something before.

and there's no good reason to get geforce experience. much like there was no good experience to get the amd equivalent (i had that in my previous machinefor a bit and it didn't do anything useful at all.)

ps.. some people still have issues with the 364.51, so might as well go back to the previous ones if you are going to try stuff.

LightStar
Reply #8 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:29 AM

Well, all I can say about Windows 10 issues is that it's not Microsoft anymore, it's "Microshit".

My nVidia drivers never did an update to 364.51 for some reason, still running at 364.47 (on dual monitors). No problems here.

Island Dog
Reply #9 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:30 AM

This wasn't a forced update issue, it was just a screwed up driver update issue.

I had to disconnect one of my monitors, uninstall the drivers, then try again.

WOM
Reply #10 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:23 AM

I have 364.47, single monitor on W7 and it runs fine.

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 12:20 PM

Nice to see that there are so many of us that like nVidia.

Island Dog
Reply #12 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:03 PM

I put in a GTX 970 when I built my last PC. It's been good.

LightStar
Reply #13 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:26 PM

Running dual 4GB GTX 760'a here, great cards!

Aussie007
Reply #14 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:46 PM

I have 364.47, single monitor on W7 and it runs fine.

Same here. Using GT610 and NVidia GeForce experience to update

Macca

Fuzzy Logic
Reply #15 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:13 PM

Thanks for testing the update for me.

Let me know when it's ok to install

RedneckDude
Reply #16 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:58 PM

362 with dual monitors on a GTX 650Ti.

starkers
Reply #17 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 4:48 PM

LightStar

Running dual 4GB GTX 760'a here, great cards!

Same here... ASUS GTX 4gb dual 760.  It's a fantastic card, displays everything in high res perfectly..

As for the drivers, mine are way back... 320- something, but they work okay on Win 8.1

PoSmedley
Reply #18 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:22 PM

Island Dog

This wasn't a forced update issue, it was just a screwed up driver update issue

Yup.

One of the guys I game with who builds his own rigs scolded me. Said he had the same drivers from Nov. 2015. He told me to wait and see who crashes and burns first and let the update be patched/fixed and then download it.

I'm just anal about keeping everything updated. I guess I need to take a step back and rethink some of my practices when it comes to updates. This one was just out, Game Ready sent me a notification, and the option was all mine as to whether or not I downloaded it. I'm like a little kid with this graphics card. I really love how good it is and it's changed gaming for me as well as any thing where a good card can really be appreciated. I need to chill and follow the good advice I am being given.