Windows 10 Coming this Summer

Thursday, March 19, 2015 by Island Dog | Discussion: Personal Computing

Many thought it would be later in the year for the holiday season, but apparently Microsoft is confident that Windows 10 will be ready for a summer release.

"We continue to make great development progress and shared today that Windows 10 will be available this summer in 190 countries and 111 languages. Windows has always been global with more than 1.5 billion users around the world and here in China hundreds of millions of PCs operate Windows today. That’s why it was particularly fun to show our latest global innovation, Windows Hello, on stage for the first time, and to feature a number of Windows 10 customizations for the China market, such as Cortana in Mandarin."

More at Blogging Windows: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/17/windows-10-launching-this-summer-in-190-countries-and-111-languages/

Lavo_2
Reply #1 Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:44 AM

Here's to hoping there will only be a 64-bit version of Win 10... This is an excellent opportunity to kill 32-bit OS for good.

starkers
Reply #2 Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:13 PM

Lavo_2

I doubt very much it'll happen but I'll drink to it anyway.  32 bit is old hat and should have been retired with Win 7.  64 bit is the way to go because it uses hardware more efficiently and provides greater opportunity for growth... and given the rapid growth in hardware development, 32 bit OSes aren't going to keep pace.

I notice more and more that there are fewer 32 bit proprietary machines one sale these days.  Most I see advertised or in stores are 64 bit with 4 or more gigs of RAM, so just maybe 32 bit OSes will die a natural death, if not with Win 10 then maybe with win 12.... if MS stays true to skipping a number to try distance itself from the last cock-up.  This time it's the butt ugly icons and start menu, so not everyone's going to like Win 10.

Me, well I'll get Win 10 anyway, cos under the hood 'll be good, and I'll customise the heck out of it make the GUI respectable.

Phoon
Reply #4 Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:49 PM

starkers

64 bit with 4 or more gigs of RAM

You must have 64 bit anyway if you're going to go 4+ Gb on the RAM. 32 bit won't see more than 3.xx Gb.

benmanns
Reply #5 Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:45 PM

Just read an article that stated that even illegal versions of windows8.1 will be able to upgrade an get a legal copy in the first year, not sure if that is the truth but the article says so
Guess we will see about that if 10 goes live.

LightStar
Reply #6 Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:02 PM

Well, I have a laptop running 10 right now, and it will the only computer I will have running 10 for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

starkers
Reply #7 Friday, March 20, 2015 12:59 AM

Phoon

Quoting starkers,

64 bit with 4 or more gigs of RAM

Yes, that's why I advocate that 32 bit OSes be retired, to allow greater/better memory usage and access the power of the CPU more efficiently  I haven't used a 32 bit OS since the early days of Vista, and likely never will again, not with 32gb of RAM at my disposal.

Daiwa
Reply #8 Sunday, March 22, 2015 2:32 PM

Interesting that as of last month, Windows 8/8.1 has yet to pass XP in current desktop OS share.  An abandoned OS still beats it.

Of Windows desktops, Win7 has 63%, XP 21% and 8/8.1 16%.  According to Net Applications, a web analytics firm.

Even more interesting when compared to late 2013: Win7 46%, XP 34% and 8 7%.

I mention this only because Win10 is going to have to be one helluva OS to move the needle much.

Richy_Young
Reply #9 Sunday, March 22, 2015 3:07 PM

Windows 10 is the only os that will run dx12 ... I don't care if it is pink with my little pony theme that's unchangeable.. There won't be a single pc gamer left on any other os other than 10 after its release.  If they are then they have there gaming head buried deep in the sand.  Dx12 is a game changer.

Daiwa
Reply #10 Sunday, March 22, 2015 3:16 PM

Admittedly good strategy on MS's part (they'll need every leg up they can get), but the impact on OS adoption that will have is unclear given the size of the PC gaming market.  Not sure what percentage of desktops are in that segment but it would have to be relatively small.

BlackSmokeDMax
Reply #11 Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:23 PM

Windows 10 is the only os that will run dx12 ... I don't care if it is pink with my little pony theme that's unchangeable.. There won't be a single pc gamer left on any other os other than 10 after its release. If they are then they have there gaming head buried deep in the sand. Dx12 is a game changer.

Agreed. The performance gains, especially in relation to already existing hardware, are exceptional.

Daiwa
Reply #12 Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:15 PM

Quoting is off slightly.

BlackSmokeDMax
Reply #13 Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:25 PM

LOL, don't know how the hell I did that

Jafo
Reply #14 Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:26 PM

Richy_Young

Actually that's quite incorrect. A person who dedicates a quarter of a terabyte to just one game and spends weeks on a single repaint of a single 'object' within that game would classify as a serious PC gamer - and FSX can barely handle DX10.  It was also 'broken' by the last 2 versions of IE ...namely 10 and 11.

Such a person will NEVER actually 'need' Windows 10.  Its advancements are totally redundant.

Now, I may have several [dozens] of other games installed and it's also undetermined that any of those will benefit.

AND,

"if it is pink with my little pony theme that's unchangeable"  I definitely won't go near it....wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole....

Jafo
Reply #15 Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:28 PM

BlackSmokeDMax

LOL, don't know how the hell I did that

It's a cache synch anomaly between sites/forums...

Richy_Young
Reply #16 Monday, March 23, 2015 6:04 AM

Not sure what your on about there, arguing the toss on what is a pc gamer ? I'd say anyone who can't use playstatioN or xbox controller

the dx12 benefits to none dx12 from what I've read will be minimal.. But that's like playing treasure island dizzy and wondering why your quad core processor hasn't inproved it.  You'll start to see a lot of the games switch over to the multi core ultilization in win 10, over the next year and when your mates getting 60 fps and your getting 9 fps on identical rigs on your latest game purchase suddenly the my little pony theme will be looking pretty good!

harpo99999
Reply #17 Monday, March 23, 2015 6:27 AM

"if it is pink with my little pony theme that's unchangeable" I definitely won't go near it....wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole....

personally if it does have such a STUPID restriction I would not touch it with a 10 WINDOW bargepole.

harpo, the NON-subscriber

Jafo
Reply #18 Monday, March 23, 2015 9:15 AM

Richy_Young

Not sure what your on about there, arguing the toss on what is a pc gamer ?

I am demonstrating that I definitely classify as a 'PC Gamer' [having done so since before there was a DX anything....more like Dos4GW] BUT also vent my spleen about the infantile GUI of the 'modern windows' since 7.

My PC is 'particularly' Game-centric, from the M.2 PCIe x4 'HD' to the 32gig of DDR4 and the i7 5960x [with ASUS-accessed OC pins] and the GTX980.

It's DX12-ready but at the moment there are exactly zero DX12-specific games I ever wish to run on it.

BTW...current frame-rates for Res Evil 5 under DX10 average at 250.8 fps ...so yes, it's a game PC ...

Richy_Young
Reply #19 Monday, March 23, 2015 12:53 PM

As proven by the 250 fps in res evil 5, just like you can argue there are no dx12 games yet so no need for it , i could also argue that your entire rig was not needed .. Yet!  You could play that on 1/10th the machine.  But we don't because we want the latest, so why should that be any different for an os.

there's not a single game using your pc to even 1/4 of its potential.  I'm not even going near a new rig until win 10 is out. Then I will see what change it has on pre dx12 games.  Though I'm sure there will be a million websites doing many many benchmarks on the subject as we get to summer.  And then we can all make a more informed decision.

im truly unispired game wise and have been for years, I'm hoping dx12 is a new lease on life for pc games to be honest This my forward thinking outlook.

starkers
Reply #20 Monday, March 23, 2015 3:38 PM

Richy_Young

I'm not even going near a new rig until win 10 is out.

Nah, I've already planned my next rig, with quite similar specs to Jafo's... though mine will have the next mobo up, liquid cooling and USB 3.1... and Win 10 will naturally go on it.