Oh man. Six more weeks of it.

Curse you Punxy Phil!

Sunday, February 2, 2014 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Community

Well, I can't say I'm happy about this.

Punxy Phil the Groundhog saw his shadow...so, the prediction is that we're going to have six weeks more of the wintery weather.

The only possible save is that he's only been 39% accurate in the past.

Of course, today we're getting snow and colder weather for the coming week. Great.

Traitor groundhog!

Feel free to rant about this.

DaveBax
Reply #1 Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:59 AM

i wouldn't mind the prediction fun if it was done correctly. After all we can predict the same thing but a little Groundhog gets all the attention.

PunxsutawneyPA is just N.W. of Pittsburgh by a few miles. I was up early when this was taking place and let me say it was actually raining and nothing but clouds. Last year there was nothing but clouds there and here in NJ. So I don't mind the fun but it should be done correctly.

So I predict from 6 to 8 inches of snow tomorrow. On sorry, that is what the weather people are saying for tomorrow. Also saying we could have a major blizzard here next weekend. On again that is what the weather people are saying.

It's all fun and hey it gives all the news people around here something to talk about. Better than listening to who killed who all the time.

Jafo
Reply #2 Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:09 AM

DaveBax
So I predict from 6 to 8 inches of snow tomorrow.

Got to 39 today....it's now 7 past 1 AM and still 28.

All just depends on where you are....

That's centigrade, of course...

DaveBax
Reply #3 Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:29 AM

Got to 39 today....it's now 7 past 1 AM and still 28.

First you should be in bed. Second, enjoy your 82 degrees F. If it were 82 here I would be out playing Golf. Well I can dream I guess.

starkers
Reply #4 Sunday, February 2, 2014 11:30 AM

Ah, yet another thread about the weather and how it affects us.

I've read so many theories, postulations and predictions about the weather on WC over the last 6 weeks I'm beginning to think it's a plug-in to the Weather Channel.

And how I'd love to have 6 - 8 inches of snow.... fech, I'd be happy with just one.  That'd mean it isn't 33c outside... and I could be throwing snowballs instead of sweatballs.

Also, who in their right mind plays golf in 82 degrees?  Shoot, I'd be a puddle on the ground long before that... oh, yeah, I see, that's 82F.  Still, I'd like it more around 52F with a bikini-clad caddie who has a bar fridge on the cart.

..it's now 7 past 1 AM and still 28.

That's common in my neck of the woods... 25c + after midnight during Summer.  There's not a lot of difference between the highs and lows of the day up here, so most are a balmy night and roll on Winter.

As for these 'supposedly new', weather. patterns.. like snow in February, my mother told me that it snowed on her wedding day in March 1951.  Now in South Devon [UK] that was unheard of, yet it happened, then and before.  She also told me that when she was 12 and on her way to school in Dartmouth, ice had formed on the edges of River Dart where the water was either slow moving or stagnant. That was back in 1944, so yeah, there's nothing new in it because these weather patterns occur in cycles, and have done so since the dawn of time.

Oh, and Dave, you can still play golf if you rug up enough and don't mind the cold.... g

Good luck finding your balls [er, golf balls, that is].

neone6
Reply #5 Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:11 PM

Exactly the same miserable shit in Sweden

DaveBax
Reply #6 Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:32 PM

starkers

Take off that damn hat and you may not have as many sweatballs.

starkers
Reply #7 Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:35 PM

neone6
Exactly the same miserable shit in Sweden

And how is Kitty coping with that after coming from hot, sunny Queensland AU?  After temps in the 30c's, I'll bet she's rugged up to the max and sits beside the fire/heater all day to keep warm.

I recall some bitterly cold Winters in the UK when I lived there, but our house was always toasty warm with the open fire in the loungeroom... even upstairs was kept warm because of the flue, so it was always lovely throughout Winter.

Reply #8 Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:05 PM

starkers
Good luck finding your balls [er, golf balls, that is].

I'll have you know Dave is made of stern stuff!

starkers
Reply #9 Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:16 PM

Quoting starkers, reply 4Good luck finding your balls [er, golf balls, that is].

I'll have you know Dave is made of stern stuff!

Reduced 58%Original 1024 x 511

I knew that!

It's just that old golfers never die... they just lose their balls... in this case, in the snow.

Yup, Dave's the kind of golfer that if his ball went into a water hazard... he'd put on scuba gear and go right in after it.

I can picture it now, Dave on the bottom of the lake trying to get his underwater swing right with a 5-iron.

DaveBax
Reply #10 Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:21 PM

I'll have you know Dave is made of stern stuff!

Got that correct.

I see you have been using your Drone to spy on me again.

starkers
Reply #11 Sunday, February 2, 2014 2:49 PM

DaveBax
I see you have been using your Drone to spy on me again.

So you now know it's behave today or it's on WC and/or Facebook tomorrow.

Yup, the man's incorrigible when it comes to posting your most embarrassing moments... I should know, he's posted plenty of me....

.... and they're always worth a giggle or three.

Jafo
Reply #12 Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:11 PM

starkers
That's common in my neck of the woods... 25c +

You're in the deep north....this is Melbourne....10 past 8 and 31.

Uvah
Reply #13 Monday, February 3, 2014 11:21 AM

32F now and still snowing. Two inches by 6 am. Got about four now.

starkers
Reply #14 Monday, February 3, 2014 12:19 PM

Quoting starkers, reply 4That's common in my neck of the woods... 25c +

You're in the deep north....this is Melbourne....10 past 8 and 31.

Yeah, I know, Melbourne isn't supposed to be that hot... but then again, who says so?  Mother nature might be throwing a hissy fit down there because the GAYFL starts up soon.  Could be because Jeff Kennett is still alive!  I dunno why, but I do know Brassall isn't "deep North.

Thargominda is deep North, so is Cherbourg... but not Brassall.  Shoot, if I had a long enough ladder to clear the roof 2 doors up, I could pee on the NSW border from here.  Orright, maybe not quite, but I wouldn't fall far short on a good day... which isn't today.

Became a sole occupant today... well yesterday now, and had I not quit drinking for real, nothing stronger than a shandy for 10 years +, I'd be righty royally maggotted about now... 3.04am.  Anyway, the weather ain't going to behave on account of me, and getting pissed never solved anything, so I'm going to bed so's I can get up and mow the lawn in the morning, cos if it gets any longer the Ipswich City Council will start charging me safari park rates.... and I can't afford that without the rhinos and elephants

Shoot, it's only 18c here ... like it has dropped 6 degrees in the last 20 minutes... but it'll damn well be stinking hot when I want to mow, won't it.

DaveBax
Reply #15 Monday, February 3, 2014 12:33 PM

starkers
but it'll damn well be stinking hot when I want to mow, won't it

Spend some of that money you have and pay someone to mow.

starkers
Reply #16 Monday, February 3, 2014 5:41 PM

DaveBax

Quoting starkers, reply 14but it'll damn well be stinking hot when I want to mow, won't it

Spend some of that money you have and pay someone to mow.

Can't do that, no siree, no way, no how.

Why?

Because I'm too damned tightfisted and the cash would be better spent on PC parts/accessories

Besides, while I can still do it myself I will.  I may get hot and sweaty, and my arthritis will play up for a couple of days afterwards, but I get a sense of achievement and satisfaction for having done it myself.

And like they say 'use it or lose it', so it's exercise I need to do or ending up in a wheelchair before my time.