What's in the future for Desktop Customization from Stardock?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 by Philly0381 | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Lots of things have been happening with the desktop custiomizing software, the most important of which is getting them compatible to work with Windows 8.

It would nice to hear just how all this will effect subscribers, what software will not be supported and what new soft, other then those all ready released, will or are being developed.

With the release of WindowBlinds 8 and I'm sure other software, folks still using XP and Vista will have to make a decision about whether to upgrade.

How will all of this affect, if any, how Object Desktop looks or costs in the future?

Folks naturally are sadden when software moves from supported to legacy, if this will be happening will new software replace it?

I'm just an interested subscriber trying to anticipate what tomorrow will bring.

Island Dog
Reply #1 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:34 PM

Anyone still using XP needs to upgrade in my opinion.  It's a legacy OS, and it's time to move up.

RedneckDude
Reply #2 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:44 PM

I agree.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:44 PM

Island Dog
It's a legacy OS, and it's time to move up.

Well then, for the sake of "Moving up"  I guess it's time I took my laptop and secondary PC and chuck them in the trash. They are both XP and are not upgradable to a newer OS. Damn shame, I was used to my Legacy OS and Legacy SD software with their predictable, Legacy bugs. I have no desire to learn a whole new set of modern, up to date bugs for Win 8. I think I'll just stick with the ones I have now on Win7 and XP.

One word for all you Vista/XP users out there. Archive!  Do it now, while you still have access to your Legacy apps.

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:59 PM

Wizard1956
One word for all you Vista/XP users out there. Archive! Do it now, while you still have access to your Legacy apps.

Better advice has never been given!

Jafo
Reply #5 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:13 PM

Wizard1956
Well then, for the sake of "Moving up" I guess it's time I took my laptop and secondary PC and chuck them in the trash. They are both XP and are not upgradable to a newer OS. Damn shame, I was used to my Legacy OS and Legacy SD software with their predictable, Legacy bugs.

Nothing stops a system from being 'suspended in time'.  If you still have XP on a machine....with appropriate versions of SD's software, etc installed... simply leave it that way...and continue to use it thus until the MoBo snuffs it.

I can't see any point in rushing into Win8-aware apps [like WB8] just because they are there - unless you have the OS to suit.

Since the advent of Win 8 all development has been to solve the shortcomings of the OS .... but once 8 is dragged screaming into Win 7 equivalence I'm sure there'll be more 'stuff' to play with/develop ...

Wizard1956
Reply #6 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:41 PM

That's my plan. I have next to nothing in either unit, cost-wise but until something goes up in smoke, they will continue in service for limited browsing, email and Media Center use. After which, I'll have a paperweight and a doorstop

Nothing wrong with making  "XP Ugly" tolerable with some help from SD until that happens.

Uvah
Reply #7 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:04 PM

I'm just thankful for what I got. Everything works and that's that. As for Win 8......maybe some day but I'm in no hurry.

DaveRI
Reply #8 Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:30 PM

I'm just thankful for what I got. Everything works and that's that.

"Drive 'em 'till the wheels fall off."