And another excellent piece of software for free!!!!!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 by Leo the Lion | Discussion: Personal Computing

Doc is always a good finder of freebies but here's one not a lot of people know about..........PerfectDisk Free..........The latest version 12.5 which has had a few of the 'paid for' versions 'bells and whistles' removed.

As most knowledgeable software gurus know Raxco's PerfectDisk has been one of the leading defrag software makers for years and years. Whilst some with SSD's don't feel they need defrag software others with 'normal' hard drives should defrag regularly.............makes my machine leaner and faster, that's for sure. Also, one small tip with this piece of software..........to defrag your system files on boot just right click the drive when you get the software up and select the option. I mention this as its not easy to find.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and its a great piece of software..........better than any other defragger out there.

and you're welcome!

Uvah
Reply #1 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:12 AM

I'm all about freebies, Duh! If I didn't have one already I'd go for this one. I use IObit's Smart Defrag 2.

teddybearcholla
Reply #2 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:55 AM

Bookmarked!

gmc2
Reply #3 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:39 AM

just mentioning, I leave my computer on most of the time. Win7 will automatically defrag one's computer at some regular schedule. Everytime I check the drives they are 0% fragmented.

kona0197
Reply #4 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:50 AM

I've never heard of Windows 7 automatically defraging a drive.

Jafo
Reply #5 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:08 AM
BoXXi
Reply #6 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:12 AM

Bah! Defragging is so 2011.... Get an SSD!

Uvah
Reply #7 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:12 AM

Sure, I'll get one. Just let me mortgage half my life. No problem.

TechNoWeb
Reply #8 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:52 AM

before I got my ssds I used IObit's Smart Defrag 2. It's free with all the 'bells and whistles'

DaveRI
Reply #9 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:43 PM

How's PerfectDisk regarding the "buy" nags?  I don't mind a few, but I do seem to have a limit.

Thanks for the post

moshi
Reply #10 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:05 PM

BoXXi
Bah! Defragging is so 2011.... Get an SSD!

oh, people who buy registry defraggers will buy SSD disk derfraggers as well. the snake-oil industry has nothing to worry about.

kona0197
Reply #11 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:10 PM

So you have to set the Windows 7 defrag program up on a schedule to run. That's not automatic right out of the box.

Jafo
Reply #12 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:02 PM

kona0197

No, it's automatic....but you can change the schedule or halt it if needed.

kona0197
Reply #13 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:14 PM

I've had several Windows 7 machines. In fact my girlfriend's machine runs Windows 7. And Windows 7 defrag does not run automatically. And I've never told it to stop. I opened it up one day and there was no automatic schedule to run selected.

Hankers
Reply #14 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:37 PM

A Worf.gif is very tempting right now.

moshi
Reply #15 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:47 PM

kona0197

it's on by default. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Schedule-Disk-Defragmenter-to-run-regularly

you probably told it to stop via installing some third-party software.

CarGuy1
Reply #16 Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:00 PM

Hankers
A Worf.gif is very tempting right now.

Since it's well deserved, go ahead but I'll bet he'll just ignore it.

Leo the Lion
Reply #17 Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:34 PM

The windows defragger does a very mediocre job........There are lots more benefits with with PerfectDisk.........SmartPlacement and system file defrag on reboot to name but two.............I've put both up against each other and PerefctDisk does a way better job than Windows as proven by the speed on boot-up and responsiveness of programs thereafter.........Try the same test yourself.........'no brainer' really!

DaveRI
Reply #18 Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:10 PM

I suppose while we're talking about this we should mention that it's best to pick a defragger and then stick with it within reason; i.e., don't run PerfectDisk today, then MS next week, then PerfectDisk, etc.  You'll just constantly be scooting your files around.

I loaded up PerfectDisk yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with it.  Only "buy nag" I've seen so far - and it's not really one so much - is its startup window.  Might be able to disable it, haven't really checked.  At any rate it's very reasonable.

I like the way it does its boot defrag - it does put up a basic screen to let you know what's going on.  Much better than sitting and wondering.  Thanks for the tip on how do initiate that Leo, I agree that it's not particularly obvious.  Personally I too see some value in defragging system files, and file placement too for that matter.

Nice catch, thanks again.

Uvah
Reply #19 Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:56 PM

Smart Defrag 2 does the automatic boot defrag plus it does incrementals. You can also adjust the settings for more than one drive. But then again ASC also has a defragger. Between the two I haven't had to defrag my HD in like forever.

kona0197