Start8 1.01 Update Now Available
Thursday, November 1, 2012 by Island Dog | Discussion: WinCustomize News
A new update is out today for Start8. Ease the transition to Windows 8 with Start8 by bringing the familiarity of the Windows 7-style start menu along with additional enhancements to Microsoft’s new Windows 8 release.
New in the v1.01 update:
- US English installs with a language pack installed now pickup the correct language rather than US English.
- New option for when in a modern UI application to have the Windows key switch to the Windows desktop vs the Start8 menu or Win8 menu.
- New option for when on the desktop for the Windows key to switch to the last active Modern UI application. If none are running then nothing happens.
- The height of the start menu now adjusts instantly when you add lots of shortcuts on the right hand side list.
- Recent Items and Favorites shortcuts now load the translation correctly.
- Search now shows full results for program search on non English installs.
- RTL languages like arabic now show the start menu in the correct orientation and position.
- Fix for all programs text being backwards with RTL languages. Added registry key to enable bottom left corner Modern UI start menu hotcorner. This is enabled by setting AllowStartHotCorner to 1 in the usual Start8 registry keys location.
- Added registry key to enable winkey + ctrl to emulate right windows key. This is enabled by setting CtrlWinKey to 1 in the usual Start8 registry keys location.
- Added support for command line parameters via the search field.
- Made the shutdown button menu auto show on hover on the arrow.
- When hotspots are disabled the upper right hand pixel is now clickable.
- Some applications did not remember their maximized window state on launch. This is now resolved.
- On some machines search could show missing results at the top of the list on slow painting, fast searching machines. This is now resolved.
- When the taskbar is positioned on the right hand side of the screen the start menu now correctly expands left on jump lists rather than right.
- With languages where items on the right hand side are exceptionally long, additional space is now allocated to stop them truncating.
- Fixed a small bug with accessing the Run and Desktop from the Win + X menu when accessed via right click.
- Separator lines on the right hand side of the list were misaligned when the taskbar was not at the bottom of the screen. This is now resolved.
- Drag & drop sorting of pinned shortcuts would produce the wrong order with more than 10 pinned items as well as on some quick machines. This is now resolved.
- Attempting to drag icons using the right mouse button will no longer cause Start8 to wait for escape to be pressed.
- Right clicking on items in the all programs tree view and adding them as a link no longer causes the tree to refresh and close open folders.
- Items in the all programs tree view now pickup the native OS translation such as Editor for Notepad on German installs.
- Tweaks to improve going straight to desktop after login feature.
- Fixed an issue causing a crash on load due to a modern UI icon parsing issue.
- Small tweak to all programs tree icon loading.
Registered users can download the update from their account page at https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products or via Stardock Central.
If you're using the trial, you can also get the new build by having an email sent from the Start8 download page at https://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp.
Please login to comment and/or vote for this skin.
Welcome Guest! Please take the time to register with us.
There are many great features available to you once you register, including:
- Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the forums and downloading skins.
- Access to a great community, with a massive database of many, many areas of interest.
- Access to contests & subscription offers like exclusive emails.
- It's simple, and FREE!